Thread: Friday 10th The Burpham backwater

Default Friday 10th The Burpham backwater

Accompanied by a long length of rope and my trusty pruning saw, I intend to depart from the footpath above the pub at Send, paddle up the Navigation, portage Burpham Lock, examine potential portages on either side of the weir above, and descend the loop, continuing via the Triggs Loop. Departing sometime soon after 10.30. All welcome. Of course, in climbing parlance it may not "go".

Impcanoe

Unlikely, but will let you know if things change.

If I'd known this morning, I could have juggled my days about, but got my canoeing fix in this afternoon instead, so other plans tomorrow.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

So I made the trip, started later than advertised in true SOTP fashion, but as I was on my own it didn't matter. Paddle up, got out at the weir which now has some nice painted railings, and scouted the exit to the weir pool. River running fast, no exit from pool, needs some very serious mechanical "pruning". Decided against portaging, as it might not be the wisest move to paddle a questionable section on my own. Retraced my route, noting that the eroded put in just up stream of the bridge above Clay Lane Road bridge has been repaired, and will eventually be an improvement, but right now is very rocky with metal mesh retaining so not very welcoming. The next bridge down stream, Clay Lane itself, as befits a county road has new protection around it, in the form of sacks (I assume concrete, which can be laid dry, and then watered to achieve a set) and a timber facing to the river. I've not tried it, but it looks a good put in.
    On down the river section of Triggs Loop, which, in the area round the Church, has received some very serious "gardening", only one of which is my work. There are stlll trees restricting the river which might be a problem in higher flows.

Impcanoe

Thanks for the update. I'll be up for a team effort, from upstream or downstream, sometime.

Went down Triggs yesterday. Seemed the same as its been for ages, so I must have missed a blocked bit at some point.

For info, EA have started clearing up the salad near the Priory.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I am local and could be cajoled into splashing about with a folding saw and/or some loppers