Thread: Which buoyancy blocks to buy?

Default Which buoyancy blocks to buy?

I'm looking to replace some RUK airbags with solid blocks. The RUK bags have been dissapointing as they need to be constantly blown up due to poor quality leaky valves. RUK make blocks at around 90 per pair, or there's the Endless River ones at around 125 per pair. quite a difference in price. Has anyone had both, how do they compare quality wise, I dont want to be dissapointed again, or are there others I should be looking at? Weight is an important factor, ie lighter rather than heavy. Your thoughts please.
    Cheers,
    Paul
    Just goin with the flow

Hi Paul, PM on its way - hopefully
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Hi Paul, PM on its way - hopefully
    Hi Paul, Nothing so far. Off to the daily grind in a minute so I'll check again later. Was going to contact you and the gang re paddle this Sat.
    Paul
    Just goin with the flow

Mine are excellent quality. Priced similar to Endless River or a bit more depending on the boat model.

https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/pro...ag-protection/

I chose them because I happened to be passing the shop - delivery costs could be the decider

I also have a pair of block from www.aiguillealpine.co.uk good quality and good fit, they make a variety of different shapes to fit different boats. I also have one of their kneeling saddles which similarly appears well made and gets a bit more abuse than the blocks.

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have been disappointed with the air-bags I have ... then I thought Pubs (etc) get cider in ~25L boxes, the boxes contain large double skinned bags plus the tap seal. The contents can be worth >> 100 so both the bags and tap seals have to be pretty good. Misty dog & I have concluded that 2 air filled cider bags in a shaped & stitched protective outer cover (from cordura/neoprene/sleeping mat foam/whatever) will work perfectly as buoyancy at one end of our Minuet, so we need 4 bags total, sorted
    Approx bag dimensions (deflated) ... 24" x 19". Should be possible to push on/glue in place a short length of hose to the tap to aid inflation if required and make or adapt a tap cover to prevent accidental deflation.
    Defective existing air bags could be used/adapted as an outer shaped protective cover?
    Befriend your local

Last edited by Potty Paddler; 6th-November-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

I have experience of all 3 - RUK, Endless River and Aiguille, and i would say you get what you pay for.
    With Aiguille being shaped and the best thought out/very well made and the most expensive.
    Endless river are shaped and are well made and the lightest.
    RUK are Blocks that are robustly made but not shaped and there fore don't fit fit the boats that we use that well (disco 169/187/packs and Explorer 16)
    All will provide buoyancy and will last a long time (longer that air bags) but If i had the money i would get Aiguille..

Thanks for the replies folks, I'll digest the info and make a decision.
    Paul
    Just goin with the flow

Big polystyrene blocks cut to shape then wrapped in pond liner works well or if you can get it cheap enough closed cell foam cut to shape