Thread: Weston Wooden Canoes - Can anyone recommend?

Default Weston Wooden Canoes - Can anyone recommend?

Hi, Does anyone know someone who owns a Weston Canoe?
    Their website is http://westoncanoes.com
    I like the idea of a wooden canoe, natural and more at home in the surroundings of a river. There are some beautiful examples out there, true craftsmanship. I found Weston and they seem to be a good balance between quality and price, but it would be great to hear the views of fellow paddlers.

Their canoes look similar to something you could build yourself in 4 days at www.orcadventures.co.uk/ if you have the time and you'll save some money.

Plywood, stitch and tape method is within reach of anybody with even basic wood working skills. Look at Selway Fisher Plans and methods. There is much advice on this site too, with pictures and words of real experiences.

I built my first open canoe with a Selway fisher plan for a 15ft 10inch Wren. I enjoyed several years of using the Wren, including sailing her. She was passed onto my daughter who used it for a few years and then to some unknown thief! So, it was still desirable after about 10 years hard use.

There is a lovely feeling about paddling a canoe, built by yourself. The only drawback is, you can't be shy, because it will provoke lots of interest from admirers.

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Default Weston Canoes

Thanks for your reply Doug. You may just have inspired me. I'm definitely going to look at some plans. Maybe a good winter project.

Thanks for your reply, I will have a look at Orca.

There has been a fair bit of attention to detail on those Weston ones. Like picking out the planks so the different colour woods "quarter" the boat. Also multiple planks so I'd say they are a fair bit more spohisticated than the Orca ones.

In fairness though, I paid less than those are going for for a weeks, fully supervised canoe building course with Mark Alpin at Overwater boats in a fully equipped workshop where we built boats every bit as good as those from top quality materials.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    Hi, Does anyone know someone who owns a Weston Canoe?
    Their website is http://westoncanoes.com
    I like the idea of a wooden canoe, natural and more at home in the surroundings of a river. There are some beautiful examples out there, true craftsmanship. I found Weston and they seem to be a good balance between quality and price, but it would be great to hear the views of fellow paddlers.
    I now do....review on site ( canoes, other makes)