Thread: Anonimity. Hou, me?

Default Anonimity. Hou, me?

Those sweaters with the manufacturer's name emblazoned across the chest? Handbags with the designer's name in large, flashy metallic lettering in the nineties? What's that all about then? "Oh! He looks cool, he's wearing Prat".

I have always avoided buying such things, especially the handbags (I'm a bloke). If any company wants me to undertake some advertising for them, they can pay me.

My previous two canoes were Old Town and I was in both cases very pleased that I could peel off the lettering and the curly bits, since they were just transfers like the SotP logo (which of course I would choose to apply). Yesterday I picked up my new boat and was a little disappointed (really, just a little, this isn't a full-blown rant) to discover that the logo is formed in the mould, so no chance of removing it.

So, if any of you encounter a small red canoe on your travels, a rather pretty boat with a flower-patterned valance attached to the gunwale and hanging down on all sides, don't be alarmed, it will be me, trying to remain anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hewitt View Post
    Those sweaters with the manufacturer's name emblazoned across the chest? Handbags with the designer's name in large, flashy metallic lettering in the nineties? What's that all about then? "Oh! He looks cool, he's wearing Prat".

I have always avoided buying such things, especially the handbags (I'm a bloke). If any company wants me to undertake some advertising for them, they can pay me.

My previous two canoes were Old Town and I was in both cases very pleased that I could peel off the lettering and the curly bits, since they were just transfers like the SotP logo (which of course I would choose to apply). Yesterday I picked up my new boat and was a little disappointed (really, just a little, this isn't a full-blown rant) to discover that the logo is formed in the mould, so no chance of removing it.

So, if any of you encounter a small red canoe on your travels, a rather pretty boat with a flower-patterned valance attached to the gunwale and hanging down on all sides, don't be alarmed, it will be me, trying to remain anonymous.
    Chuckle.

I do like an understated logo.

My Bell came with little additional Chestnut canoe logos which seemed a bit fancy, which I removed and replaced with (classy ) SOTP Quentin stickers. Only to later realise the Chestnut logos had a real canoe heritage...but I couldn't have had them as well as the Quentin's, it would have been too busy.

For what its worth, I think the Hou logo isn't too "loud", so reasonably tolerable. Though its too low down the hull, looks a bit odd there. Generally, I don't like logos in the middle of the sides, prefer small ones near the bows/stern. Though I understand why this is less attractive to a manufacturer!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Yes Mal, I too like an understated logo and I think the Quentins will clash with everything else. I have been thinking about paddling like an imbecile whenever I see anyone else about, just to get back at Hou for taking me for granted but then again, I don't think I know of any other way to paddle.

A quick clarification: I used the term "imbecile", thinking it wouldn't be offensive but I then checked on dictionary.com and I found that it is in fact now considered offensive. I am sorry, that certainly wasn't my intention. I learned as an apprentice to "measure twice, cut once". I should have thought about that when I wrote my reply.

Dictionary.com: "Psychology. (no longer in technical use; now considered offensive)".

posting a description of your boat on an internet forum does rather undermine your alleged wish for anonymity

You are quite correct but I would also wear a wig.

would that make it a Hou-pée?

<gets coat>

Another fan of "The Fast Show"! \o/

Being offended does not hurt, I am offended by celebrities, I try to ignore them but the media insists on pushing them at me. Since it does not hurt I have decided not to worry about offending people

Ounce is offline 28.3495 grams - not a heavy weight! Administrator

Another fan of "The Fast Show"! \o/
    -------------------------
    You! Off my planet!