Thread: Old Town Pack or other small lightweight canoe

Default Old Town Pack or other small lightweight canoe

Hi All,
    I am looking for an Old Town Pack or other similar small, light weight, canoe for my wife or daughter to go solo in. I would prefer a Pack as these appear to be bomb proof so they wont have to worry about the 'gel-coat', but would still be interested in anything that is carryable (real word?) by one 5'5' person.
    We are based in Manchester but don't mind a trip for the right canoe, will also pay a fair price for a fair canoe.
    Cheers, BigRed

There is a place in the Lake District selling their Hou canoes Keswick I believe.. they are advertising on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Weekender View Post
    There is a place in the Lake District selling their Hou canoes Keswick I believe.. they are advertising on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nichol end marina on Derwentwater

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

A Pack is a very carryable canoe. Mine is 15kg as advertized, but they can be a bit difficult to tame, straight linewise.
    I bought mine purely based on reading this and that on here and elsewhere.
    Great little boat, don't get me wrong , love mine but it took time as a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    Hi All,
    I am looking for an Old Town Pack or other similar small, light weight, canoe for my wife or daughter to go solo in. I would prefer a Pack as these appear to be bomb proof so they wont have to worry about the 'gel-coat', but would still be interested in anything that is carryable (real word?) by one 5'5' person.
    We are based in Manchester but don't mind a trip for the right canoe, will also pay a fair price for a fair canoe.
    Cheers, BigRed
    Have a look at Snake River Canoes http://snakerivercanoes.co.uk/
    There is a 12' version that is based on the Old Town Pack and weighs approx 1kg more. Okay, it's a fibreglass canoe with a gel coat, but for what they cost compared to the actual OT Pack, who cares, and you can have it in any colour you like as far as I know.
    IMHO the OT pack is well overpriced, and if I was in the market for something like that, I'd be ordering a Snake River.

Unfortunately you don't state your budget, but another contender is the Nova Craft Trapper http://www.kayaksandpaddles.co.uk/ca...r-12-canoe.htm

Very doubtful you'll find a used one though, so probably too expensive new.

Also, an Apache 12' might work and is well priced, but it will be heavier than the above.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Hou 13 also a bit heavier, but still relatively light, and very tough. A little tippy for a beginner, perhaps. 14 is better, but heavier still....though I'd still consider it a lowish weight canoe.

Thanks for all the quick responses I will have a look at the Nichol boats and see what they have.

Hi Old Man, we were in Manchester Canoes on Saturday buying some wet boots so took the opportunity to have a look at the Nova Craft Trapper and Fox, both very pretty little boats. We currently have a Pal in Tuff Stuff and I tend to wince every time I put in on the ground, I know its meant to be tuff but it just so easy to scratch!

I like the look of the Snake River 12' and will go hunting more information, unfortunately I cant seem to find a price for it on their site, are they kit boats that you finish off? I quite like the idea of this as my other option was to try my hand at a stitch and tape, something like the SF Big Kate, but this may be a bit too much work for me at the moment.

We quite like the look of the Esquif Echo (a tad heavier than the Pack) but its a tad too expensive new and I have never seen a second hand one.

My budget is always a matter of concern for me as I set out with good intentions not to spend a fortune, and then an 'un-miss-able deal' comes along and I just crumble!

Once again thanks for all the suggestions I will now 'waste' the rest of the night following them up!

I know its meant to be tuff but it just so easy to scratch!
    Anything with a gel coat is easy to scratch, but so is plastic. For the price that Snake river charge, it really won't matter, and that comes from someone who's very fussy about such things.
    You have options with a Snake River of a finished boat, or a hull plus the "bits" to fit yourself, or a hull and you can supply your own bits to fit yourself.
    As for prices, you'll have to phone or e-mail Mel the proprietor as I haven't seen his latest ones.

As an aside, the actual weight of a Hou 13' is heavier than the advertised weight. If weight is an issue, then always try to see and lift the boat you have in mind.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

My Snake River 12' is currently for sale, in Sussex.

Quote Originally Posted by Pondweed View Post
    My Snake River 12' is currently for sale, in Sussex.
    Or you could just post in classifieds...

Mal - haven't been on for ages and seemingly I can't now post in classifieds!

Quote Originally Posted by Pondweed View Post
    Mal - haven't been on for ages and seemingly I can't now post in classifieds!
    You have to be a contributing member mate.

Evening All,

Thanks for all the replies and useful suggestions, the search goes on:

I am still in the market for a small and nimble solo canoe for my wife (or daughter). I have contacted a couple of suppliers but I am struggling to find anyone with anything I am after in stock.

I have now refined my wish list to something in the 14' region (about 30" wide?), preferable around (or even better under) the 20 kg mark.

If you have a poor forgotten or just underused canoe that would like a nice new home and be taken out as often possible please let me know.

I am willing to pick up from just about anywhere (we are in Manchester)

I wont say money is no object (as that would be lying) but I am willing to pay a fair market price for the right canoe.

So, please, have a look at the bottom of your garden or at the back of you shed and let me know if you find anything interesting.

Thanks, again, for taking the time to read this, BigRed

This little thing could be up for sale

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...stich-and-glue

Hi

I don't have anything of that size to part with but I'm currently waiting on John from Valkyrie craft building me a larger version of one of these.

Mist
    http://valkyriecraft.com/overview-of...ght-open-canoe

The beam of the boat is listed as 35 inches but I think he can adjust this to suit your requirements as they are all individually built.

I'm also considering ordering the 14ft version as described in the above link once I see how the larger boat performs.

Might something like this fit your requirements?

I've no personal connection to the company but have been very satisfied by the quality of paddles i have bought from them before.

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi All and thanks for the quick replies.

I had a look at the 'little thing' posted by bigyellow tractor. At first glance I thought it was a plastic boat, I don't mean that as an insult more of a compliment really as the finish is just so good, must have taken ages to get it looking that good.

I very much liked the look of the valkyriecraft, you just cant really beat things made out of wood. Does anyone know how tough these things are, I guess it would not like to be beached on a shingle shore?

It is that kind of craft I am after something with maybe wooden gunnels and a bit of a 'traditional' look, but at the same time as tough as old boots and as light as a feather (I know, I know all a bit impossible).

I would prefer a second hand one, that way all the scratches are already done when I get it, so I am not too precious about it.

If any one spots anything (or has something similar for sale) please give me a shout.

Cheers, BR

PM sent.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    IMHO the OT pack is well overpriced,
    Apologies Mr Old Man, but I have to disagree with this opinion.
    Admittedly I don't know the Snake River you refer to (and the website isn't forthcoming), but that aside show me something the same weight as the Pack, same quality for less money. Even the top money s/h examples are 400+ cheaper than a Nova Craft Trapper.

I would say to the OP, keep looking for a Pack if you want something light. They do come up and while a lot have been abused I got one last year that was like new. My other boat is a 'light' TuffStuff Pal but the Pack is in another league for lightness, which is why I sadly won't sell you mine! Good luck with your search.

Apologies Mr Old Man, but I have to disagree with this opinion.
    No need to apologise, we all have opinions.
    Whilst the Pack is a handy little boat for some people, I stand by what I said - relatively speaking it is overpriced for what it is, especially since the demise of Royalex.
    Having said that, a commodity is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but having owned a Pack I personally don't think they are now value for money.

Here's the Snake River link http://snakerivercanoes.co.uk/
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

I have a Solway Dory Little Egret (sorry, not for sale) which would fit your requirements. Great little solo boat - and a lot tougher than you think, although composite. Look at the Solway Dory website. They now make them in Carbon Kevlar too. You can't drag them about (obviously) but they are small and light enough to manage. Mine has been on many trips, including Scottish sea lochs. PM me if you want to see some piccies. Nothing like as light as the Pack (I used to have one) but much faster.

Occasionally you might be lucky enough to find one of these secondhand, a 13ft 4inch Mobile Adventure Minuet ...

Same boat in a different colour ...

The Hou 13 is basically the same canoe, I really like them ... the above pair are both mine
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Hi folks, once again thanks for all the useful suggestions.

Isabella, I do like the look of the Little Egret a pretty little craft indeed, my wife also likes the idea of having a play with the sail. I gave them a call yesterday and they confirmed that it could be made with carbon, which should make it under the 20 kg mark. Only slight snag is that he is 'fully booked' until mid August. I also like the idea of supporting a UK manufacture.

I looked at the Hou's early in my search but thought they were on the heavy(ish) side 13 foot at 24 kg. I don't thing they do wooden gunnels but I like the idea of being made out of 'tough' plastic.
    I must say that Potty Paddlers purple one has a certain presence on the water!

I have also been looking at the Apache Trekk 14 (26 kg) it is certainly a thing of beauty especially in white with the wood gunnels, I understand that they may be possible to make this a tad lighter so I will have to give them a call also, as they seem to have a good reputation for being helpful.

Meanwhile I am keeping an eye on the secondhand market, just in case something of interest turns up there.

Thanks again for all the useful suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post

I looked at the Hou's early in my search but thought they were on the heavy(ish) side 13 foot at 24 kg. I don't thing they do wooden gunnels but I like the idea of being made out of 'tough' plastic.
    I must say that Potty Paddlers purple one has a certain presence on the water! ...
    ... wooden gunwales supplied on a new Hou canoe may not be a problem, either ask Hou directly or Stu at Apache.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

There's a Pack on Ebay atm. Looks in passable condition, in Norwich, good price, but 6 days to go.
    The only thing you have to fear is Mergatroid the vengeful, man eating bear.

Quote Originally Posted by saarlak View Post
    There's a Pack on Ebay atm. Looks in passable condition, .
    Shame about all the holes!

Just to get back to the weight thing, can your wife and daughter lift and carry your Pal solo? Granted the length does add a little bit of difficulty over something as short as a Pack, but the Pal in TuffStuff is sub 25kg so pretty light in canoes terms, and a similar weight to a lot of the other boats suggested in this thread. If the answer is no then you can discount any boats that are similar in weight.

Morning all,

Thanks saarlak, i am watching the pack already, although thanks for the heads-up. Strangely enough my wife asked 'what's with all the holes' too, it does, however, look in not too bad a condition.

you are correct fredfromthecircus, the the pal is fairly light as 15 footers go and the length does pose a bit of 'swingage' but they can carry it together. The main problem is putting it on top of the van (T5) as you have to lift it at arms length above your head. We just about manage it together but a lighter one would be better. When I use the pal solo it can become very challenging loading it onto the roof by myself so a smaller/lighter boat would help there too.

The other issue is that the van has a pop top roof so the load capacity is rather limited so the lighter the 2nd canoe the better (as you also have to add the weight of the roof bars) and the shorter length should also make it a bit easier to manoeuvre out of the water.

once again many thanks for all the useful reaplys

Pal's are 16 foot well mine is. I'm also a T5 owner with a pop top.

Just been looking on eBay there is a 15 kg solo made of wood for 300 made by Orca in Penrith looks good .They also have a larger boat on eBay as well has anyone seen 1 or dealt with them ?