Thread: Old Town Pack or other small lightweight canoe

Default Old Town Pack or other small lightweight canoe

Hi All,
    I am looking for an Old Town Pack or other similar small, light weight, canoe for my wife or daughter to go solo in. I would prefer a Pack as these appear to be bomb proof so they wont have to worry about the 'gel-coat', but would still be interested in anything that is carryable (real word?) by one 5'5' person.
    We are based in Manchester but don't mind a trip for the right canoe, will also pay a fair price for a fair canoe.
    Cheers, BigRed

There is a place in the Lake District selling their Hou canoes Keswick I believe.. they are advertising on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Weekender View Post
    There is a place in the Lake District selling their Hou canoes Keswick I believe.. they are advertising on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nichol end marina on Derwentwater

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

A Pack is a very carryable canoe. Mine is 15kg as advertized, but they can be a bit difficult to tame, straight linewise.
    I bought mine purely based on reading this and that on here and elsewhere.
    Great little boat, don't get me wrong , love mine but it took time as a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    Hi All,
    I am looking for an Old Town Pack or other similar small, light weight, canoe for my wife or daughter to go solo in. I would prefer a Pack as these appear to be bomb proof so they wont have to worry about the 'gel-coat', but would still be interested in anything that is carryable (real word?) by one 5'5' person.
    We are based in Manchester but don't mind a trip for the right canoe, will also pay a fair price for a fair canoe.
    Cheers, BigRed
    Have a look at Snake River Canoes http://snakerivercanoes.co.uk/
    There is a 12' version that is based on the Old Town Pack and weighs approx 1kg more. Okay, it's a fibreglass canoe with a gel coat, but for what they cost compared to the actual OT Pack, who cares, and you can have it in any colour you like as far as I know.
    IMHO the OT pack is well overpriced, and if I was in the market for something like that, I'd be ordering a Snake River.

Unfortunately you don't state your budget, but another contender is the Nova Craft Trapper http://www.kayaksandpaddles.co.uk/ca...r-12-canoe.htm

Very doubtful you'll find a used one though, so probably too expensive new.

Also, an Apache 12' might work and is well priced, but it will be heavier than the above.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Hou 13 also a bit heavier, but still relatively light, and very tough. A little tippy for a beginner, perhaps. 14 is better, but heavier still....though I'd still consider it a lowish weight canoe.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks for all the quick responses I will have a look at the Nichol boats and see what they have.

Hi Old Man, we were in Manchester Canoes on Saturday buying some wet boots so took the opportunity to have a look at the Nova Craft Trapper and Fox, both very pretty little boats. We currently have a Pal in Tuff Stuff and I tend to wince every time I put in on the ground, I know its meant to be tuff but it just so easy to scratch!

I like the look of the Snake River 12' and will go hunting more information, unfortunately I cant seem to find a price for it on their site, are they kit boats that you finish off? I quite like the idea of this as my other option was to try my hand at a stitch and tape, something like the SF Big Kate, but this may be a bit too much work for me at the moment.

We quite like the look of the Esquif Echo (a tad heavier than the Pack) but its a tad too expensive new and I have never seen a second hand one.

My budget is always a matter of concern for me as I set out with good intentions not to spend a fortune, and then an 'un-miss-able deal' comes along and I just crumble!

Once again thanks for all the suggestions I will now 'waste' the rest of the night following them up!

I know its meant to be tuff but it just so easy to scratch!
    Anything with a gel coat is easy to scratch, but so is plastic. For the price that Snake river charge, it really won't matter, and that comes from someone who's very fussy about such things.
    You have options with a Snake River of a finished boat, or a hull plus the "bits" to fit yourself, or a hull and you can supply your own bits to fit yourself.
    As for prices, you'll have to phone or e-mail Mel the proprietor as I haven't seen his latest ones.

As an aside, the actual weight of a Hou 13' is heavier than the advertised weight. If weight is an issue, then always try to see and lift the boat you have in mind.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

My Snake River 12' is currently for sale, in Sussex.

Quote Originally Posted by Pondweed View Post
    My Snake River 12' is currently for sale, in Sussex.
    Or you could just post in classifieds...

Mal - haven't been on for ages and seemingly I can't now post in classifieds!

Quote Originally Posted by Pondweed View Post
    Mal - haven't been on for ages and seemingly I can't now post in classifieds!
    You have to be a contributing member mate.