Thread: Old Town Charles River Royalex

Default Old Town Charles River Royalex

Withdrawn from sale. I took my replacement boat out today for the first time and I'm not sure if it will suit me or indeed whether I will suit it. Until I know more, I'm suspending the sale of the Charles River in case I decide to keep it.

Nine years old, in good nick with no more scratches than you would expect for its age given careful use, plus a few small dents in the surface and three very small bits of core showing (see photos). Located in Hythe, Hampshire (not Kent).

£700.

The spec can be seen at:

https://www.oldtowncanoe.com/productDetail.aspx?id=932 but of course these aren't available any more since Royalex has been discontinued.

Old Town used galvanised rivets (!!!) for the name plates and three out of the four rivets have corroded away, though I still have the plates themselves.

[IMG]IMGP4481 by Steve Corvus, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMGP4476 by Steve Corvus, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMGP4469 by Steve Corvus, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMGP4465 by Steve Corvus, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMGP4463 by Steve Corvus, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMGP4461 by Steve Corvus, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMGP4485 by Steve Corvus, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steve Hewitt; 27th-October-2017 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Withdrawn from sale

Hi Steve
    is your canoe still available?

Hi. Yes, you are the first to respond. PM for my phone number if you'd like to talk about it.

Hi Steve
    I am a new member and I need 3 posts before I can send a Pm. Can you send me a pm with your number. Thanks

Please note the edited original post; the sale is suspended.

Hi Steve,

I have the same canoe, though in green. In my view it is a wonderful vessel, and I wouldn't ever part with mine. Also, yours looks to be in far better nick than my battered old war horse. However, if you do part with it, I guarantee the new owner will love it.

Ralph

Hi Ralph. Yes, I agree and I was reluctant to put it up for sale. Since trying the replacement I am unsure as to which one to keep as within a year or two I will have room for just one. Look out for someone on the news crossing Christchurch harbour with one foot in each of two canoes.

Hi Steve

i am looking for an Old Town Charles River in royalex. I just wondered whether you had made your mind up which canoe you were keeping? I hope you don’t mind me asking.

thank you.
    Merrymac
    MerryMac
    Proud Member of The Soggy Bottom Squad

Hi MerryMac

Thanks for your interest and of course I don't mind. I have decided to keep the Charles River. I will also keep the Hou 13 for now but I think its days are numbered, to be confirmed next summer after I have thrown myself out of it a few times to find out its limits.

Best regards

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hewitt View Post
    Hi MerryMac

Thanks for your interest and of course I don't mind. I have decided to keep the Charles River. I will also keep the Hou 13 for now but I think its days are numbered, to be confirmed next summer after I have thrown myself out of it a few times to find out its limits.

Best regards

Steve
    Hi Steve

i really don’t blame you, I wouldn’t part with it either! 😎
    MerryMac
    Proud Member of The Soggy Bottom Squad