Thread: Lake access for school group

Default Lake access for school group

Hi eveyone.

I run the paddlespots club at millfield School in Street, Somerset.

I'm looking for a nearby (ish) lake which we could use for skills sessions ect.

Does anyone know of any local clubs or venues which might be suitable for me to contact?

Thanks

Can't help you specifically, but maybe try sailing clubs? Chew Valley Lake? Or these guys might be worth contacting: http://wwysa.org.uk/
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

You wont be allowed to canoe on Chew or Blagdon lakes......you could try Durleigh, they used to have a canoe/kayak club based locally that used the reservoir.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
    You wont be allowed to canoe on Chew or Blagdon lakes......you could try Durleigh, they used to have a canoe/kayak club based locally that used the reservoir.

Correction...the canoe club is at Sutton Bingham Reservoir http://suttonbingham.wixsite.com/canoeclub , there is a sailing club at Durleigh.

Not a lake, but the Huntspill river could fit the bill - it's pretty wide.
    I've seen Millfield vehicles turn up there before with sculling boats in tow and launch where the B3141 crosses the river between Woolavington and East Huntspill. There's car parking there, although the entry height is restricted. There must be someone at the school who knows about this that you could ask.

Also, if you look at Google maps and follow the same river westwards to where it enters the river Parrett, if you expand the map enough, you'll see an establishment called Laburnum House.
    The road crosses the river almost next to it and there's a small amount of parking there, plus a locked gate entry into a field and a launching ramp into the river. From memory, the gate and the field are EA controlled, and they allow the Burnham On Sea canoe club to practice there between the bridge and the sluice gate down towards the Parrett.
    I haven't been down there for a while, so I don't know if those conditions still apply, but it may well be worth your while contacting either the EA or the canoe club to find out if you could use it. I think there's a sign, on or near the gate with a contact phone number on it.
    In theory this option would be better than the first one I mentioned as the once in the field, the launching is better. The first option has more commodious parking though, so it might come down to how many people/boats/vehicles you bring.

I've just done a quick web search for BOS canoe club and nothing came up, so maybe they are no more. If the second option interests you, you can try the EA, or failing that I could take a ride down there and see if the contact number is still posted. It's only 10 mins by car for me.
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 14th-October-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman