Thread: 2017 Barrow Classic Six Winter Race Series

Default 2017 Barrow Classic Six Winter Race Series

Hi All,

I've been asked, by a very nice and helpful chap at Barrow if I could pop this series of events up here.

Historically I've been a bit "racing is to paddling as golf is to a good walk", but this year I found myself participating in a couple of races - York, not terribly successful and the Liffey, which was an awesome experience. So I quite fancy having a go at lobbing the wooden Huron around this loop at least once - also not adverse to tandeming up with peeps (although the Pelican is not a fast boat!) - hopefully they'll have an Ol' Codgers Canoe class I can prop up from the back .

As these are Sat events, I'm pretty sure field will be available if peeps want to stop overnight and/or do evening paddle in the dark, i.e, make a bit more of this than a wee 3km race. I have to go at least once to check out the breakfasts. If it's all a bit too serious, I may stop at doing just the once, as paddlin' should be fun.

Anyone else interested?, if so, any preferred date(s)? - think having a little SOTP kru would deffo make it more fun and social

Ta
    Jon
    Last edited by cankay.org.uk; 12th-October-2017 at 05:41 PM.

mmmm... breakfast.........!

interested.

surely you must be excluded from this event........now being semi pro!

Too far for me, and I can see some date clashes already, BUT I would highly reccommend this sort of thing to others.

With these 'any boat' kind of races usually the organisers will classify similar boats together (sometimes they need 3 of a kind to make it worth doing) so whilst you might be racing alongside wavehoppers, you would only actually be classified against other canoes, and if enough canoes enter there might even be a medal or prize for the canoe class.

The main thing is, the racers are all really friendly and happy to share advice and everyone is there for fun.

The wavehopper series seems to be pretty big at the moment (lots kids doing it), but it is still at the fun end of racing - its a feeder event for wild water racing where we use similar looking lightweight composite boats and race down rapids. We still have fun, just that we spend more on our kit and do more training to have our fun I've done wild water races in my Ocoee before now, always get classified with the composite boats though because I'm the only one....

Enjoy!

How hard can it be?

now being semi pro!
    Think I'd be happier at micro-pro, or even nano-pro ... although I'm quite good at falling in, if that counts?

Thanks for the comments Jim - nice bit of encouragement for self and others .

I'm certainly giving reasonable consideration to popping along on 21st Oct, hopefully, wont be in a class of my own

Could be up for the 21st, Jon. Fancy a blast in the Apache Tribe?

Jon. Fancy a blast in the Apache Tribe?
    I'll paddle anything :-). - now where did Potty put that crocodile...

Was that a tandem offer or solo?

Kinda waiting a bit to see if previous race buddies, Ben/Bren are up for a spot of participation afore firming up my plans, but great to have your company either way :-).

Tandem, possibly. But I might solo as there's only one portage. Maybe I should team up with Bren. This race is 1.3km, so there is some chance he might get to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Jester View Post
    Tandem, possibly. But I might solo as there's only one portage. Maybe I should team up with Bren. This race is 1.3km, so there is some chance he might get to the end.
    errrrrrrrrrr......................clowns to the left of me........jesters to the right

Ben wants to know which is your favoured day Jon?
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Ben wants to know which is your favoured day Jon?
    I'll probably have a stab at the first one - 21st Oct. Equally happy to team up or do solo. I know Ben has other commitments, so if he's got a preferred date, I can always do a second or third time.

Thinking a bit about maybe burning some wood for a sort of prize for fastest non-Cankay SOTP participant over the 6 events, and maybe a burnt wooden spoon for most fastestly challenged. Nothing overly serious, but just to add a bit of an SOTP slant to our partici------pation.

Thinking..........21st,maybe canoe....,then kayak on another date,,,,,,,,,,,or vice versa, decisions?

any plans for camping?

Thinking..........21st,maybe canoe....,then kayak on another date,,,,,,,,,,,or vice versa, decisions?

any plans for camping?
    yup similar dilemma on boat choices, planning on touring 'yak on a rainy day .
    Looks like there's a chance of camping at Barrow the following w/e, but if the evening is looking dry on 21st I'd happily stop over, maybe hit the water in the dark? and/or charge batteries for mini-amp.

Thinking a bit about maybe burning some wood

So something like this:

On the back I've marked 6 spaces for the best time and SOTP forum name/'signature' for each date.

The fastest time over the 6 races ... er... gets ...er... to keep a bit of burnt wood.

Probably should be limited to solo canoe's but figured it'd be worth seeing in anyone does pop along.

Participation is all about the joining-in and the fun, this is just a bit of micro-competition on the side. Now where did I put that spoon?

Not 100% on camping (probably remember that I should be somewhere else), but see no reason not to make it there for Saturday morning.will keep an eye on developments.

Not 100% on camping
    No worries, if sat night is looking dry I can lob stuff in car just in case - need to sort out camping gear for the following weekend anyway :-).

Anyone else fancy joining us next Sat for the wee race thingy?

Tempted but I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow never mind the weekend

Went out for a last ditch training paddle at the weekend. Alas it was a bit too heavy in the 'ditch' department as low volumes in Leics backwaters meant I'm well trained in sawing branches and canoe dragging. Still it was a fun few of hours. Passed a couple of other people out paddling too - nice to see this time of year.

I have done the barrow race many times, it's never taken too seriously and always finished off with a bacon roll !

Thx No.1.

finished off with a bacon roll !
    Does sounds like a better option than a canoe roll - another important question tho: what's the breakfast like?

it's never taken too seriously
    In my very limited experience of races, things kinda seem quite serious at the front and become significantly less so the further back the river you look - which is gonna be my general excuse for being towards the back.

Was thinking on the office drive this morning, that I can do the loop any time for free, and chances are will be doing so at the end of the month Halloween do, but kinda happy to support the organisers, and lob a few quid in the pot. Its good to see the water being used and peeps enjoying themselves.

Decided not to turn up. Might well do for one of the others, though. Have fun those who are.

I'm thinking of the a later one in my "glider". Just to confirm what I've gathered from the poster, as a couple of posts put my interpretation in question. The Race is on moving water, but no drops, starting below the weir. The canal section and the portage are just to get you to the start????

Impcanoe

That's my understanding, although usually its only just moving water. I.e. about as flat a grade as you can get. I'll be able to confirm more on Sat.Maybe someone who has already done the race can confirm sooner tho.

I may not be able to hang about afterwards now. Trying to get home broadband fixed with Virgin. :-(.

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post

I may not be able to hang about afterwards now. Trying to get home broadband fixed with Virgin. :-(.
    Jon, sort of cross posting here; as two consecutive weekends in Barrow may be a bit much, thinking may leave this weekend and try for the Halloween/Spam option instead.

and, as you,ve been training for the event............

Yeah, two weekends in a row is a bit keen, and the halloween one has more plusses. I'm still hoping I can make this sat, but the only available slot I can get from virgin is 12 to 4 on Sat. Ho hum! Hoping for a cancellation tomoz/Fri.

Right..... we can sort out race fixtures next weekend! probably need to have a handicap in place (as you are in training) maybe you give everyone a 30 minute head start??
    just to make it fair!

Gosh, is it mass start? I assumed it was time trial

Impcanoe

Not sure how massive "mass" would be, but the flyer does indicate "First Start at 11.00", so I'm thinking some staggering is indeed the order of the day.

Also it may be the start is a wee bit down river from the basin at the bottom of the weir so it's not a mass lunge through the shrubbery ....

The unknowns add to the anticipation.

30 minute head start
    Hurm, I suspect full on racers would have finished in that time - it's not a long race!. My hope for this weekend is a) = attend!?!, b) = breakfast , c) = clock a time, d) = don't finish last, [e) = eat bacon]

I'd like to at least set a target time so additional/future SOTP'ers participation can make me look bad ("it was the weather in Oct, honest"), and hence friend Bren can have even more trash-talk ammo for blaming his rear paddler for us propping up the rear at York.

Oooo Race Day ....

Ooo No 1.

Unfortunately, that was the bib number - there were a lot of thin pointy boats:

and I think they look one look at a bloke in one of them there quaint canoe thingies, and decided to lob him out front for either maximum entertainment value or to get him out the way.

Actually, I think single bladers went first and as the only solo canoeist (there were a couple of tandems, so not completely on my own :-)) I got to lead the way.

Here is the other important photo for SOTP-ers.

I can confirm the race is 'time trial' based - with people set off at one-minute intervals. 50+ people, so timed, I think, for the last person to start at 12.

Not sure on my time yet, as had to rush off, got home as 12:05 and Virgin engineer (12-4 appointment) was just finishing his lunch - WiFI successfully restored . Pleasantly surprised that I was only passed on the water twice, so I'd like to think I achieved 'd) don't finish last', but won't really know until times are posted.

I believe times will be listed on Soar Valley Canoe Clubs FB page, so for all those waiting for the time to beat, I'll add it to the thread once I spot it.

Was not sure whether to do a blog for this, but as there are 5 more races it kinda made sense just to add to this thread.

Colin asked me to mention that after the next event (Nov 25th for your diaries), they're planning on having a bit of a paddler rummage sale. So if you were thinking of coming along and have need to get rid of or acquire some kit, then now you know.

I'll put a rummage sale reminder closer to the time.

Ta for reading:
    Jon

PS. Not sure about the 'Wild Water' on the bib sheet, but it was certainly a bit draughty.
    Last edited by cankay.org.uk; Today at 02:25 PM.