Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 Barrow Classic Six Winter Race Series

Early days for the next race (24th Feb), but here are a couple of random photos from the January event - kinda exemplifies nicely some of the variety:

For those whom claim size is not important:

Deffo more coordinated that our Biggish-Meet attempt!.

Our very own Impcanoe

Spot the ringer?

Medals and Mugs Ceremony

So weather willing I hope to be there on the 24th Feb, maybe one or two others.

We're still ok to stop over on Saturday on the Final Race in March, and that would be a great one to see lots of SOTPers and Canoes :-). Lots of empty spaces in the 'all time record' sheets esp for ladies and little peeps

Bumpity Bump

Next race day this weekend (24th Feb). Two spots left to claim the bestest time

Forecast is 'mostly sunny', although probably a bit on the cool side.

Then only three weeks to the grand finale in March.

Ok gratuitous mug shot

Got one of these for coming last, or was it second?

Couple of wee photos from the the 5th Barrow Race

Nice blue sky, and snow (ooops no ... foam)

25Hrs 1minute ..
    Race time was a slight improvement: 25:01:00 down to 24:15:00 - but we did manage to get the new canoe stuck in shallow water.

So one final race to go on 17th March.

Hopefully it will answer the BIG QUESTION, namely as to whether Major Concerns will spend so much time worrying about stuff, that gool'ol Kaptain Slow will sneak in a faster time. Although as its St. Patrick's Day, I can put a slower time down to it being The Luck of the Irish, rather than Bren being the much better paddler :-). Actually, and in a cunning cross over the to the Tiber thread, as 17th March is also Unity Day in Italy, perhaps we should aim to clock identical times.

Spotted a poster in the Boathouse around 17th being St.Patricks day, and there being a bit of < kerching on Guinness, Irish Coffee and some trad Irish food on offer. Should have grabbed a photo whilst I was there.
    It's also the England-Ireland final for the Six Nations - and unfortunately there is no (longer?) a TV in the pub. Although given the way England failed to turn out for the Calcutta Cup, that's probably not a bad thing).

Anyway, forgetting the forgettable rugby, and moving back onto paddling - I have made the suggestion to my fellow Tiberers of dong the Loughborough loop on the 17th March after the race as a bit of distance training. Maybe setting off about 1:30 pm (ish) [want to do a bit of wide bar/canoe loading beforehand too]. Deffo just a suggestion, not a planned thing yet - no doubt weather and other factors will influence decisions on the day, but if we do the loop, then anyone welcome to join us, (but it may be a bit more purposeful than normal). Stopping overnight at Barrow also still very much a (weather influencing) option.

There may be a paddling related table top sale on the 17th too. I'll lob up details if I get confirmation.

We did finish second this weekend, but as there were only two opens (Kath and Mick in the Kelvar We-no-nah being pretty much 5 and a half mins ahead) its not really saying much, so would be wonderful to have a larger jolly SOTP fleet to end the series with.

Still hopeful of making it on the 17th.

Had a trip from Willington to Swarkstone Sunday, so starting to dust off the cobwebs.

Great if you can make it :-). I've put my vote in for a a nice warm spring day.

Kept looking out the windows on Sun, but could'nt quite get myself out onto the water, so settled for updating/uplifting boat 'rack' in the garden and drilling ground anchor holes!.

So after all the excitement of the BC roadshow at Quorn, I had to nip in the Boathouse to take a photo of this promo advert for the 17th (er and a wee drink), and no Bren, I don't think Leprechauns dressed in black counts ....

Something to look forward to after a strenuous 20mins racing.

Just for anyone attending who is looking intent on racing here is a link to the fastest ever overall times (PDF)

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    Just for anyone attending who is looking intent on racing here is a link to the fastest ever overall times (PDF)
    Linky no worky

Cheers Pete, lets try linkying again: fastest every times.

(Suspect the first one balks as its linky's straight through to FB.

(Suspect the first one balks as its linky's straight through to FB.
    It's linking to the file on your computer Jon

It's linking to the file on your computer Jon
    Oh yeah! how embarrassing.

Hopefully the second attempt is fine though

'tis....

wot is it you do for a living Jon?
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Not at the Races.............again.

not going to make this one,after all, also just realised, its the Dove weekend!

its the Dove weekend!
    Good call, kinda shame the events collide. Might be tempted to do the Dove on Sun, but deffo keeping one eye on the weather too.

Might be tempted to do the Dove on Sun, but deffo keeping one eye on the weather too.

Looking at Sunday too, weather looks ok so far but keeping an eye on river level, appears to have been quite high over last few days.

judging by the flow on the Soar at the moment (I'm moored in Mountsorrel) ,I wouldn't be surprised if a record breaking time was set this weekend.

Yeah, I'd popped out for a paddle on Sun morning, intending to do a bit a backwater loops, but decided the river (R.Biam) sections were flowing too high and fast to be safe and settled for a canal (and over field!) bimble. So yes suspect peeps doing either Soar or Dove will make good time.

Weather looks interesting for Saturday..

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Wea...ation=UKXX3107

Cloudy and windy with snow, accumulating a cm or two. Winds from the ENE 30 km/h Gusts: 44 km "RealFeel® -9°"
    Src: https://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/mo...t/329027?day=2

The little rivers I drive over to d'office and back are deffo pretty full - ok full anyway, pretty - not so much.

I'm still planning on attending, but I suspect the I'll leave camping and the Loughborough loop to a better weekend!. Similar looking weather for Burton (Dove) on Sun - so will see how I feel about that after Sat

Dove tour is cancelled. http://www.burtoncanoeclub.co.uk/Dove.html.

Prob wise decision

Levels on the soar are dropping, but its still in flood, the markers below Sileby and Mountsorrel locks are still in the red

I think I'll have a bimble somewhere local if I don't get snowed in.

I think I'll have a bimble somewhere local if I don't get snowed in.
    Yeah, makes sense, would have been good to do the bigger loop/camp if it'd been good weather, otherwise quite a ways to come for a short paddle, esp in today's wintery conditions.

Ok so given the forecast where else can one start this final weekend blog than with this photo of a pair of mugs.

Thankfully with this being the last event, there'll be no opportunity for a group mug shots photo.....unless I borrow Juliet's ...

Gotta say all the signs were there, from the accurate weather forecast to putting the canoe on the roof in a snow squall, that this paddle probably wasn't up there in the top ten wisest choices in the world.

Twisted my arm ever so slight last weekend, so went with the lighter Huron - end the series as I started. Poor weather aside, it was still a nice excuse for a full cooked breakfast. Booking in, it was clear there were less than half the participants of the max number which meant there are a whole lot more intelligent people who were much better at picking up the vibes.

Paddling up river past the weir entrance at the beginning into a major swirling wind was a case of 1 inch forwards 6 inches to the side. Some of the younger peeps were understandably having second thoughts. I was ninth off, super flow and the boat was zipping along around the sheltered bends. Heading to the first main road bridge, which on the best of days tunnels the wind up river, there were a couple of racers at the side facing the wrong direction. Shouted over and they said they were ok, so I paddled on and got to some open bends. There were more racers pointing up river on the right hand side, but I was struggling to keep out of a straining tree on the left. Just skirted the edge and scraped passed one, but figured I'd not make it passed a second one, so headed for a muddy bank. Slip and slided boat upward, and was dragging it on the grass round the back of the tree when I looked back upriver, and saw one of the racers come out from the far bank, turn down river and get caught broadside by the squall. So one shout of "Swimmer" later and then I was down river side, with throw line to the ready. Thankfully I was far enough downriver that a mix of other racers, scrambling and the flow got the paddler to the fishing platform I was waiting on and out of the water. So not a major drama, but not really what you're wanting in 0 degrees. Given there was still 2/3rds distance to go, and weather wasn't getting much better, I offered up the non existent front seat in the Huron. We roped the racing 'yak along side, which made quite a wind/flow trap, but with two paddlers and keeping low we made it back to the boat house muddy and soggy, but with no further incident. Probably made quite good time! and I think we have the record for fastest Mixed Roped Tandem Canoe WWR Hybrid!

Our time was over 33mins, so maximum respect and fastest SOTP time goes to Impacanoe. Peter - if you PM a postal address I'll send the pyro'd wood off to you with a suitably enthusiastic round of applause.

There were definitely some records broken by others though - fastest time of the day was under 12 mins!

I guess as I said at the beginning, its a bit weird paying to do a short race on a stretch of local water I can paddle for free and longer any time, but it has been a fun social experience, well organised and a great group of people. May well do some again next year, but possibly only the warmer ones !!

Thanks all for reading and special thanks to fellow SOTPers Jules, Peter, Bren, Colin, Ben for company.

Quite an adventure for the final race Jon. It does sound like a fun and sociable series.

Nice one Peter, experience wins the 'day'!

I can't put my finger on it, but there was something about the Idle Beggars Christmas do, and the earlier Barrow Race that sets them apart from my normal, (if I have such a thing) paddling. It seems slightly silly to vross the Thames within a couple of miles and then drive something like a 100 to the midlands, but I really enjoyed it all. And to be a "Record Holder" !!!!!!!, well thats something else.

So thanks to the Midland guys and gals who made it so much fun.

Impcanoe

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    I can't put my finger on it, but there was something about the Idle Beggars Christmas do, and the earlier Barrow Race that sets them apart from my normal, (if I have such a thing) paddling. It seems slightly silly to vross the Thames within a couple of miles and then drive something like a 100 to the midlands, but I really enjoyed it all. And to be a "Record Holder" !!!!!!!, well thats something else.

So thanks to the Midland guys and gals who made it so much fun.

Impcanoe
    Seems simple to me. They've just learnt to enjoy themselves whatever happens, and whatever the water is like, despite living in the East Midlands. I can say that, being an East Midlander by birth

Here is a short vid from Race 4 (the one we missed as we were on the Idle that weekend).

Maybe see some of you in Oct 2018 :-).

one for the diary!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12