Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Halloween 2017....The Annual Gathering!

Sorry Mark,

I missed most of this thread. Just got back in the wee hours from the Scottish Dee. I'm off to Africa at the end of October and need to put some family hours in at home. I'll try and make the burns night do if that goes ahead this year. Have a good one all who brave it, the spooky spam challenge is a culinary highlight of the year.

Robin
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by ictoaun View Post
    For me, and I know I'm not on my own, part of the joy of canoe camping is setting up camp and cooking with all the different bits of kit that I have. I'm happy to self cater and can't say for sure if I can make it so would probably have done that anyway.
    I understand that to a T, no problems there , and you can do that 364 days a year...what I offer is essentially something different for day 365, if you fancy coming along. It ain't orthodox, and it ain't conventional...and I never will be either of those two options! But, the offer will always be there....
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by broadsman View Post
    Sorry Mark,

I missed most of this thread. Just got back in the wee hours from the Scottish Dee. I'm off to Africa at the end of October and need to put some family hours in at home. I'll try and make the burns night do if that goes ahead this year. Have a good one all who brave it, the spooky spam challenge is a culinary highlight of the year.

Robin
    Ah, Sir Robin of the Broads!
    A dispatch from the front at last!

Good luck on the continent my friend, and may God speed your safe-SPAM return!

MC McBonar

Bring back as many souvenirs as you can Robin, as there'll be an African Halloween or Burns Night coming up sometime in the near future!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Right then, where was I?

Oh, yeah, flipping' a coin!

The coin has since landed,,,,and it's heads up! (As to be expected, when you always carry a double-headed coin! )

I'll be there Friday afternoon Jon, and if the weather's anything like it was along the M4 corridor this afternoon...then it'll be spot-on for Halloween!

Must admit now, that I can't do Halloween without 'stressing out' over the usual Fire & Brimstone...

Else, it wouldn't just be Halloween would it!
    Stressing out over some fire and brimstone, is just my way of chilling out, and I love it

MB

Self-carter for the week-end if you like, no worries there.... Saturday PM,
    for those who may not be getting their SPAM Challenge on, I'll be hanging a large cauldron of Beef Ghoulash Soup over the campfire ....with some buttered bread rolls to accompany...and why not eh!

Sometimes I wish that I could do things by half!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    Nothing Spooky about Barrow?

Well, I guess we'll have to do something about that then!

There's nothing a little Garlic & Spooky Spam can't sort out!

...and try to get an engraved brass plate for that plinth above.....

Once again, another plan written on the back of a fag packet!
    A quick recap...
    I nipped out on Tuesday afternoon for a quote...and they told me that it would cost me 20 for engraving Spooky Spam Challenge 1st Prize....

So, eafter coming back around from the smelling salts, I then high tailed it back home with thoughts of another plan....

Which involved this 3ft long Salmon platter, that I acquired from the local charity shop for 9.99 on the way home - even the wife approved of it when I got home!

Once home I then went off on another culinary tangent... of only which I've only just got back from tonight!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 18th-October-2017 at 11:59 PM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Sad I'm going to miss this, but instead I'll be producing a meal for all my extended family in my mum's kitchen, which is almost as scary as doing it on a fire. Maybe I should use Spam...

Have a good one folks!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Have a great time Mal.

for those who may not be getting their SPAM Challenge on
    I have a few aSpPAMetizer ideas in the planning - maybe not in large volumes, but any/all equally available to the brave and the bold and the self-caterers :-).

C&P of list from previous page:

Cankay (Jon) Fri-Sun
    Jewels666
    kmac (for short paddles )
    Bonarmbj (Fri-Sun). Esp, if DF does a Spam Bhaji!
    Carbon
    Per (I'm going to have to be a maybe for now.)
    David fletcher ( fri sat)
    Ictoaun (Maybe)
    Di and Joel (maybe)
    Jeff-D (Day trip Sat and/or Sun assuming that the weather stays out of negative)

C&P of list from previous page:

Cankay (Jon) Fri-Sun
    Jewels666
    Bonarmbj (Fri-Sun). Esp, if DF does a Spam Bhaji!
    Carbon
    Per (Friday - Sun)
    Ictoaun (Maybe)
    Di and Joel (maybe)
    Jeff-D (Day trip Sat and/or Sun assuming that the weather stays out of negative)

Have a good one Mal, and good luck with the indoor cooking, esp. if you indeed choose to use SPAM , it will no doubt feel somewhat very strange....cooking indoors! .....and of course, on a serious note, many happy returns in advance, for your Dads birthday!
    We'l be sure to raise a glass for you both.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Whilst still here, a quick few clarifications now as to avoid any confusion arising over the 3ft long Wooden Salmon Platter that you see above....the one that I bought from a local high street charity shop, in a mad moment of 'Jack and the Beanstalk' proportions on my way home Tuesday afternoon.....as one does!

Clarification No.1 : The Wooden Salmon Platter seen above is NOT the 1st Prize for the Spooky SPAM Challenge ...Sorry!
    Clarification No.2 : I will get an engraved plate for that plinth,because it'll look good on your mantelpiece when you win it, but at 20 a pop. I will need to discuss this further with all present, and future SPAM challengers

Can't think of anything more tonight, apart from maybe....
    GET YOUR SPAM CHALLENGE ON!

(Did I just say Maybe!?)
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 20th-October-2017 at 03:19 AM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Is the Spam challenge on the Friday evening? Got a recipe in mind to inflict on you all.

I know, I've not been paying attention to the instructions given....

Is the Spam challenge on the Friday evening? Got a recipe in mind to inflict on you all.
    I'm thinking it's more likely a Sat evening thing - the prep & cooking being a kinda fun way to fill in time between end of paddle and start of 'agathering around the fire'. Believe that's how its worked in previous years, but at my age, the ol' memories not what it used to be.

Per (Friday - Sun)

Jon its is you age I think.......in previous years:

1) Fri evening - Spam challenge
    2) Sat evening - proper feast prepared by Chef Bonar

Good spot Ken, I sit corrected .

Self-carter for the week-end if you like, no worries there.... Saturday PM, for those who may not be getting their SPAM Challenge on, I'll be hanging a large cauldron of Beef Ghoulash Soup over the campfire ....with some buttered bread rolls to accompany...and why not eh!
    You were just subliminally remembering the rest of what Mark has written Jon - nowt to do with age It is Saturday. A good idea I think as there'll be more time for prep.

Hello to you all, yes im still alive and well, but have been unable to canoe since my big dip on the river many months ago, not though fear but through work i have recently (30th sept) only gone and got myself married (ive done well, shes tried to nail me down for 18yrs) so ive been working very hard to pay for such a lavish expensive day to remember ( i certainly wont forget how much it cost my dear old wallet), with the return to normality looming after our honeymoon to St Ives, i need a bloody good rest from foreigners..............and not the ones from abroad.
    So im am afraid i wont be attending the halloween bash this year and please accept my apologies for not sorting out "rules and regulations" ive just had no time. i will be back on the water in november so expect some bloggage of some sort at some point.
    Have a great time guys and good luck to the spooky spam challengers
    "I am easily satisfied with the very best" Sir Winston Churchill, He once owned an Apache too!

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post

I know, I've not been paying attention to the instructions given....
    The Spam Challenge will commence on the Saturday evening, at a time that suits all, on return from the day's paddling - and don't forget your Halloween dressing-up gear for that!

Standards once again this year, ladies and gentlemen, will be once again very high.....

Benchmarks have already been set in stone for this one...

Ken, get yer' Spam Challenge On dude, else it'll be biscuits for you!

If Sirus gets his way!

Pete, if you're planning on coming along....pls. bring your tarp & camping sticks, so that we can utilise them for a group dining/gathering area.

MB

"Don't tell 'em your name Pike!"
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; Yesterday at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    Jon its is you age I think.......in previous years:

1) Fri evening - Spam challenge
    2) Sat evening - proper feast prepared by Chef Bonar
    Always prepare for the unexpected!

1) Fri evening - Self Cater and sort out your parrots and monkeys...
    2) Sat evening - The Spooky Spam Challenge, with a supplementary steaming cauldron of Beef Ghoulash Soup with buttered bread rolls, for those who may not wish to take part in the afore mentioned melee, and thereafter, open to all!

Hope this is of some help

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    Hello to you all, yes im still alive and well, but have been unable to canoe since my big dip on the river many months ago, not though fear but through work i have recently (30th sept) only gone and got myself married (ive done well, shes tried to nail me down for 18yrs) so ive been working very hard to pay for such a lavish expensive day to remember ( i certainly wont forget how much it cost my dear old wallet), with the return to normality looming after our honeymoon to St Ives, i need a bloody good rest from foreigners..............and not the ones from abroad.
    So im am afraid i wont be attending the halloween bash this year and please accept my apologies for not sorting out "rules and regulations" ive just had no time. i will be back on the water in november so expect some bloggage of some sort at some point.
    Have a great time guys and good luck to the spooky spam challengers
    Great to hear from you tonym, and perfect timing!
    Congratulations on the marriage! ...it very much looks as if we both now have a very similar profile!

We shall struggle on with our upcoming challenge in the mean time, and I anticipate much bickering, bitchin' & witchen'....when the final judging results come in!

That's why we need rules and regulations for this challenge.

Looking forward to getting our heads together on this one.

MB

Where would we be without rules and regulations?....

France probably!

Yo Tony, major congrats to you both.

Default A Roar from the Soar!

HALLOWEEN 2017...
    For Grown-Ups Who Just Refuse To!
    Including
    The 4th Annual Spooky Spam Challenge!

With many thanks now to Jon (Cankay) for once again throwing me a lifeline in the form of a venue, complete with paddling options for those of you brave enough to come along on this years' Spooktacular event!

Once again, I find myself indebted to this mans outstanding organisational skills, and charity!

Now, for those of you unfamiliar with the Spooky Spam Challenge format, which first evolved from the swirling mists of a fabled Halloween meet at Anchor Church, way back in 2014 beside the historic banks of the River Trent in Derbyshire....Where 'a little something to do that night' might go down well, I thought, as the light slowly faded that fateful evening.. and left us surrounded in 14hrs of unforgettable Halloween darkness! There were survivors...but that's another story!

Tonight, I must tell you all of this years Challenge format, before the breaking of the dawn, and the sound of the first Crow!

Individuals freely entering the challenge, will be expected to produce a hearty and/or satisfying campfire meal for 2 (or more) at the end of their days paddling, by utilising (at that stage) an unopened can of SPAM (or multiples thereof) along with either: fresh,frozen, ambient or 'other' additional ingredients.

Each challenge entry will be judged (by all those there!) fairly & squarely by it's own individual merits and also awarded additional points according to:
    1. Punctuality of Service. There will be a deadline!
    2. Presentation....Need I say anymore?
    3. Innovation. Here's your chance to shine, Harvey Moon!
    4. Simplicity of Procurement & Preparation. Life's hard enough, why make it any harder?
    5. Lack of Cheating! - We'll be watching you!

6. Pure Taste Alone!

The 'self-proclaimed' judges decisions will be final (unless of course ganged-up upon, tied down with grab ropes, sat upon and gagged with duct tape - as has been the practice at previous challenges! )

There will be prizes for 1st 2nd and 3rd places along with a possible booby prize!

To offset the cost of this year prizes there will be a 2 entry fee levied for each Challenger....
    (With Carbon now being exempt from this fee, for actions well above and beyond the call of duty!
    )

The Present SPAM Challenge Champion is 'Whitenoise' who produced a most fantastic Sweet & Sour Dish at the Halloween 2016 bash...and try as I might tonight, I can't find the the title of his dish! Somebody Please Help!

There have been some outstanding 'entrees' put forward in this challenge over the last 4 years, some of which should become canoe-camping favourites as far as I'm concerned....and all of which very much deserve some limelight on a forthcoming blog!

If now, you're interested in this years challenge, and you were't before....

It's time now to ' Get 'yer SPAM Challenge On!'

Last edited by Bonarmbj; Yesterday at 11:49 PM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

The Brave So Far...

Cankay (Jon) Fri-Sun
    Jewels666
    Bonarmbj & very much now confirmed No. 18! (Fri-Sun). Esp, if DF does another one of those Spam Bhaji dishes from scratch!
    Carbon
    Per (Friday - Sun)
    Ictoaun (Maybe)
    Di and Joel (maybe)

Add your name to the legend above ...and it just might become that!

Can't cook,won't cook! But, maybe want to paddle? - It might be a good weather day that day, who knows? - No worries, whatever, there'll be plenty of food on the go!
    Just turn up and say hello! - You could do a lot worse!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

The Present SPAM Challenge Champion is 'Whitenoise' who produced a most fantastic Sweet & Sour Dish at the Halloween 2016 bash...and try as I might tonight, I can't find the the title of his dish! Somebody Please Help!
    Rick won it with a SPAM curry served with rice and home made naan bread - I had the pleasure of sampling the delights on a later overnighter and very good it was too - a worthy winner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12