Thread: Paddkle, Camp, Fish, Eat, Sleep & Repeat....

Default Paddkle, Camp, Fish, Eat, Sleep & Repeat....

Paddle, Camp, Fish, Eat, Sleep & Repeat...
    Less the Camp, Fish & Sleep bit!

So, in the mean time now, an Autumn Celebration Lunch at Odiham Castle... somewhere along the banks of the Basingstoke Canal..

In all of it's Autumn beauty. (A ray or two of Autumn sunshine wouldn't have gone a miss here....)
    Whatever...
    ]
    Today, we'll be dining besides King John's castle!

Beside that castle that our Scottish brethren paddlers may say that it looks as if it's made of dirty snow. - Hey lads, it's English, and it's lasted like ya' know!
    14 of King John's soldiers once held the French off here a lot better than Mrs. May is doing reet the noo!

Holding nothing back the noo...

Let's get the kitchen on!

It may have taken 14 good men to stave off the French at this castle site, sometime just after lunchtime, for a while... ...Of which, I courteously acknowledge ...

I cooked therefore upon hallowed grounds...and very much appreciate it.....

Keeping the Garlic to a minimum!

And the Ovens....

To maximum!

40 minutes in and it's looking good!

Give this another 2htrs maybe, and then we're talking! (They should then, the volunteers, be here by that time....if they don't rush! )

Whilst that Pork Shoulder cooked, I had to get on with the Scrumpy and Apple Sauce...

Somebody's got to do it!

.....and let's face it now , it ain't worth doing Apple Sauce if you ain't going to do Roast Pork to accompany it, is it!
    Slow-Roast Shoulder of Pork with Scrumpy & Apple sauce, served with Baby New Roast Potatoes with Pecorino, Garlic & Rocket....& gravy!
    What's not to like!

With the above proportion (less the crackling of course ) equally translating into something.... a little more individual

Paddle, Camp, Fish , Eat , Sleep & Repeat...
    Happy now just to get as far as the EAT bit!

Esp.. if there was a little soup on offer to start with...

A little Cream of Mushroom with some additionally added chopped Chestnuts might just be the order of the day|

Which will no doubt guarantee a full house!

Along with Fortress Odiham...

Where ''No accounting for some peoples taste in windbreaks ' has had me putting off repeated phone calls this evening from the likes of Mr. Grylls & Mears, telling them both no - you can't have one for your next adventure! (Unless of course you both turn up to one of ours first! - as Mr. Ken does make exceedingly good Chai! )

Let snow call this end of part 1....
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 5th-October-2017 at 12:26 AM.
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

I missed a pic!

Add it in between pics. no.s 2 & 3 above...

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Awesome Mark....awesome puts my Paella to shame.

Oh and thanks for making me hungry
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

I cannot do that at home! Looks great.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

That's my sort of canoe trip. Suspiciously no record of canoes on water, never mind, the food looks great.

Nick

That was a great meal and much appreciated by us all.

It was indeed an excellent meal, remarkable for having been produced in much the same fashion as it could have been here 802 years ago before King John headed to Runnymede to sign the Magna Carta under duress. I'm not sure if he'd have had a pint of Hogsback T.E.A. to wash it down with though.

Some photos to prove there was actually some canoeing involved in this feast...

In camp. OK, no camping, but it felt like a camp. I assume King John had a similar tarp. He's have needed one to block those holes.

Meanwhile, in 1215 AD....

A busy camp kitchen

Its a dog's life...

The humans were by now drooling more than the dogs, having seen what was coming...

There's some jostling in the queue...

But dinner is now served...

It all goes a bit quiet...

Nige enjoys the cracklin'

Our host

Eventually, its time to leave. Our stomachs were as full as Mark's canoe would soon be.

The return leg.

Someone had been catching their own dinner

Homeward Bound

Thanks all!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Well done chaps - great pics, captured the day really well. Top day with top folk.

Massive thanks to Chef Bonar - whose madness is only surpassed by his culinary skills
    If I could only paddle like a doggie oughta paddle

Wonderful!!!!!!

Nice pics chaps - and thanks again Mark for an excellent repast

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nick View Post
    That's my sort of canoe trip. Suspiciously no record of canoes on water, never mind, the food looks great.

Nick

No, but there is this pic of Mal, or one of his minions, picking their way across the notorious badlands of Basingstoke, in order to get there in time for tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Carrying a canoe on your head across a boulderfield. The Basingstoke Canal at its best.

"I stepped up on the platform. The man gave me the news. He said - you must be joking, son, where did you get those shoes?"

Crow Trip Log

A sumptuous feast and well blogged chaps. Definitely worth the effort to attend even from distant shores I reckon.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Part 2 is coming very shortly...

So, with those of you with a nervous disposition, it's probably best now... just to look away!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

The Part 2 bit..

"That's my sort of canoe trip. Suspiciously no record of canoes on water, never mind, the food looks great".- See below Mr. Nick...
    " I cannot do that at home!" - Nor can I Gdd! (Have you met my wife?)

(Experiencing problems now accessing my Flickr account )

Back in a mo.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

The Part 2 bit..

If you too want to experience a slow-roast shoulder of Pork at Odiham Castle, and be part of it...then you will need to get to that Winchfield Hurst put-in long before the madding crowds...

If you want a good head start, then park in the dark!

Be prepared thereafter for a paddle into the unknown, as it beckons you in!

Be brave now, as this may be the last time that you did something for the first time! (with a good possibility now of you surviving this trip to tell the tale, many, many times from here on in!.... )

That's if the giant bats along this stretch don't get you first!

Getting back now to the thread....after leaving Winchfield Hurst put-in a little after 5.15am and paddling until the Bats returned home..it was good to see daylight at the end of the last bridge en route...

Daylight at the end of the short tunnel, at last!

Are we there yet?

One last obstacle to go before breakfast at the Castle.....Limbo Bridge!

Cue the Calypso music....

I found it much easier to slide under with the Cider though !

Castle Hoy!

Ten minutes to seven and I'm ready for breakfast!

That concludes it for me this evening, as there's nothing left for me to post now, as Mals' keen eye for a shot captures everything!

Many thanks to you all now for not only taking a chance with the weather, but also a chance with the burnt offerings....
    Very much also appreciate your kind contributions that day, which I did not expect or anticipate....as I'm still wearing, in my mind, outdoor cookout 'L' plates!

Still just happy to work (& cook ) for Beer & Seasoned hard wood!

Got a whole bottle Hogs Back TEA and a Farnham White chilling in my shed now, as souvenir from this super day out!

Last edited by Bonarmbj; 6th-October-2017 at 12:00 AM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Now that was some blog - can't wait for the whole culinary extravaganza to return to the Nene.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Great photos Mark, which just prove how much effort you put into these things, 8 hours before the rest of us even turn up...the beers are very well deserved!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I am impressed. Not by the obvious - planning, logistics, cooking skills etc etc...... No, what impresses the Hell outta me is the fact that you can cram all that gear into only one canoe, and still not only have room for a paddler, but the damn thing still achieves forward momentum......

Journal Entries

Until I’ve had a camp meal prepared by Chef Bonar I know I’ll not had a proper outdoor feast. I envy those who have.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

What a thing to do with a fellow! No warnings of possible drool and slobber making photos. You really have no idea what you’ve just done to me.

I threw some spuds, veg and sausages in a casserole dish. Quick roasted for a while to get it going then slowed it down for another few hours.

I started to read bloggs and found yours.

Bonarmbj how dare you put such sumptuous food piccys in front of me while I ate such simple fare?
    There ought to be a law against or some sort of watershed time.

I did appreciate your culinary skills even though only by sight.

Thank you for sharing this gastronomic event with us.

The meat looked so tenderly cared for and expertly sliced and served. Wonderful looking vegetables too.

I’m still hungry because of this blog.

So, I’m off to search for something else to eat now. I’ll blame you for the weight increase.

Bye for now,

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

I guess it's rude not to reply...

Dick,
    Whenever the Friends of the River Nene open up their arms once again, and offer such superb hospitality, as they did last year - with no traces left from us thereafter on their secret island - We'll be there like a shot!!
    A Fantastic Time had there!

Mal,
    I'm savouring the beers!

Sk8r,
    You too have a very keen eye! ...and say it now as it is! (You sure you ain't a Texan!? ) Over here, those that say it as it is are Yorkies! (Those from Yorkshire, like!)
    Yorkies are like Scots, and you'll meat them all over the world! (If you haven't already!)

I once met a Jock (A Scot ) in the jungles of Vanuatu whilst hunting down the rebels of Jimmy Stevens with 42 Commando, pre-Falklands War....and a Yorkie complaining about a camel ride in Cairo - saying that he'd had a better ride on bus in Pontefract with square wheels! (and that it had cost him 5 bob less! )

John,

"Until you've had a camp meal prepared by Chef Bonar you know that you've not had a proper outdoor feast" ...

Fair enough John, but have you booked?"

Be the first,...I'm now taking orders!

DugoutCanoe...
    My apologies Sir, for any culinary upset here , as none of this was intent. I have no culinary skills, everything you se here is by the seat of my pants - believe me!

But, where else can I practice!?

Answers on Postcard now to Bonarmbj, who really would like to do things by half, but justn't have the time to do so!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 11th-October-2017 at 01:34 AM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post

Sk8r,
    You too have a very keen eye! ...and say it now as it is! (You sure you ain't a Texan!? )
    Ha ha. I can reveal to you exclusive news that Sk8r is in fact a proud Texan!

She fought at the Alamo I believe. (Not in 1836, I hasten to add, probably just sorting out some pain in the butt ex-pat tourists).

The first part of this post is true!

"I stepped up on the platform. The man gave me the news. He said - you must be joking, son, where did you get those shoes?"

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Ha ha. I can reveal to you exclusive news that Sk8r is in fact a proud Texan!
    And a footnote... my maternal grandfather was in fact a Yorkshireman! ( Yorkshire Reg't 'Green Howards' Ypres 1914).

Ok, so I am sitting in a greek restaurant in the St George Hotel in Algiers. The food is good, a very nice Algerian white wine as wel, but.......

My head and heart are on some riverbank in England in awe of such an incredible event.

Not only did the food loock good and I am sure it tasted better, but the sheer scale of the planning for it is incredible. Its not just the packing of the canoe with all of the items. Its finding all of the items that goes into making such an incredible kit in the first place.

If you ever fancy a desert trip in Tunisia ( no chance in Algeria at the moment), I would love to host you. Am still looki g for rivers here, but for some reason they look very few and far between �� thank you very much for sharing.....

Reagrds.

Alan l.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juno2 View Post
    Ok, so I am sitting in a greek restaurant in the St George Hotel in Algiers. The food is good, a very nice Algerian white wine as wel, but.......

My head and heart are on some riverbank in England in awe of such an incredible event.

Not only did the food loock good and I am sure it tasted better, but the sheer scale of the planning for it is incredible. Its not just the packing of the canoe with all of the items. Its finding all of the items that goes into making such an incredible kit in the first place.

If you ever fancy a desert trip in Tunisia ( no chance in Algeria at the moment), I would love to host you. Am still looki g for rivers here, but for some reason they look very few and far between �� thank you very much for sharing.....

Reagrds.

Alan l.
    Algiers now!

So goodbye Addis Ababa?

You get to some fascinating places, Alan. Maybe some sea paddling in the Med there?

Crow Trip Log

Awesome foodie paddling blog...know that stretch of the Canal well but not at that time of the day... however, have paddled back in the dark. I love to eat great food whilst paddling and it just goes to show that with a little planning it can be done in absolute style. Thanks for sharing your paddle-scran pictures ������
    Kazbunny
    Don't dream it... DO IT!

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    And a footnote... my maternal grandfather was in fact a Yorkshireman! ( Yorkshire Reg't 'Green Howards' Ypres 1914).
    Christine,
    Your DNA is in no doubt somewhat impeccable...and when combined with your life experiences, & former training....I'd go as far as calling you, somewhat formidable - Hell yeah!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by Juno2 View Post
    If you ever fancy a desert trip in Tunisia....

Reagrds.

Alan l.
    Many thanks indeed, I'm somewhat humbled by the offer, wow!

But, respectfully have to decline this great offer, due to the fact that I need to be home in time for 'Tea & Medals' after every paddle-adventure that I endeavour upon.....and turning up in Tunisia with a Pork Roast and Crackling might delay me somewhat at the border!

Here's lookiin at you kid.....
    Play it again Sam....

P.S.
    A lot easier to sneak over that border with a leg of Lamb and a large jar of Harissa!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 14th-October-2017 at 02:56 AM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by kazbunny View Post
    Awesome foodie paddling blog...know that stretch of the Canal well but not at that time of the day... however, have paddled back in the dark. I love to eat great food whilst paddling and it just goes to show that with a little planning it can be done in absolute style. Thanks for sharing your paddle-scran pictures ������
    Flattery will get you everywhere kazbunny!

You're welcome along on any of my culinary paddle trips now, esp. if you can offer any advice or tips...as all would be most welcome!

Also, it has to be said, that it's great to see the Forum name kazbunny from the days that I read this forum in awe - the days that inspired me so much!

Mr. M'Kelly....
    I don't know now whether to either thank you and shake your hand, or just send you my upcoming solicitors fees.....it's a tough one!

really superb blog, im new to canoeing but this has really opened my eyes super pics many thanks for your effort.