Thread: My reduced level of tolerance!!!!!!!!!!!

Default My reduced level of tolerance!!!!!!!!!!!

As you grow older I believe that your tolerance levels lower and lower and lower and lower! I now have to work in an open-plan office and it's driving me bonkers. I will explain.

1 - I'm approaching 57 and would love to retire and be able to do things that I actually want to do.
    2 - Office person #1 - stares at you as you walk down the office. Doesn't speak, just looks at you! Sneezes at least twice a day at a ridiculous level that is measured on the Richter Scale.
    3 - Office person #2 - as thick as a very thick plank, almost says doh every time a question is asked.
    4 - Office person #3 - screams and bawls down the phone at suppliers and we all slide down our chairs a bit when it's on a proper rant.
    5 - Office person #4 - Has the strangest hiccup I've ever heard and does it 4 or 5 times a day! Sounds like someone just trod on the puppy's tail!!! Also shouts out things like "Hussar" when things go well for it. Gluten intolerant and a shellfish allergy but very superior attitude and married to a wannabe MP. No luck so far in that dept.
    6 - Office person #5 - an engineer with the IQ of a peanut. Asks me questions at least once per hour about how to spell a word, what does a word mean or what's a good word to describe this? Also a hypochondriac.
    7 - Office person #6 - an engineer with a new age or bit hippy outlook, holidays to vietnam and cambodia, rides a bike and cultivates a beard etc. Rather than getting a coffee from the free machine in the canteen it brings it's own coffee beans in and grinds them at it's desk before making a brew.
    8 - Office person #7 - Dual national person that I can't understand a word that is spoken. I've spent a year nodding and laughing and not knowing what the hell I've just been told.
    9 - Office person #8 - Was in school with my eldest daughter and she warned me that it was a self-centred, arrogant, sh1t.............She wasn't wrong!
    10 - Office person #9 - Normal and I have decent conversations and a good laugh with this person.
    11 - Office person #10 - old grumpy git in the corner...............ME!

I hate open-plan offices, listening to cr8p and wishing your life away to retiring date.

LET ME OUT OF HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have done my best to keep this rant gender neutral as that's the latest trend in PC circles

Sounds like a pretty normal place to me...

Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Hi Mal, was just thinking I could maybe write a screenplay about it all. I reckon it would be quite amusing as a TV series. I'm going to call it "The Office".

Ha ha - you are not alone!!! Offices are just places where mad people congregate to annoy each other, and wish their lives away......this is why we need canoe therapy
    If I could only paddle like a doggie oughta paddle

enough said!

Sounds like a source of bow paddlers or belayers, depending on which hobby you fancy pursuing that evening.

there's a reason they pay us to go to work & we don't do it for the love of it

if it makes you feel better, you could remind them of the 20/30/40 years they have to go to retirement, & that by the time they get there, the retirement age will probably be 75!

Walk away & don't look back. There are much better ways to spend your time. I spent 24 years in a corporate career - walked out at 48 years of age & have never had a second thought. (I'm not an idiot and made sure all my stock options etc etc were completely vested before I walked... ) The last 23 years spent roaming the backcountry and playing with my dogs have been the finest time I could ever have imagined. Just do it.

should i make you jealouse.

Girl 1 paddles about anything , stunning to look at.
    girl 2 coaches raing kayak and dose a bit of it herself.
    Bloke 1 paddled montreal olympics, head for retirment, (he tells us but is now 70 and still there
    bloke 2 runs the show paddled surfski and racingkayak.
    bloke 3 young kids doing freestyle and ww and the occassiona canoe trip with his doughter
    bloke 4 touring and racing for about 40 years now.

daily start with coffe/the and cake ends the same on the weekend.

bloody pictures do not work .

Last edited by Lennart; 29th-September-2017 at 06:25 AM.
    Propper writing in English. How do you do that? with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language.
    Sorry for all the mistakes.

Whilst we are not all in a position to do what Sk8r did, she's not wrong, and if you get a sniff of an opportunity to follow her path, then go for it.
    If your environment is having a detrimental effect on your life but you can't afford to stop work yet, then perhaps change jobs. A change is as good as a rest as they say, and you may just finish your working life in happiness. A part of me wishes I'd done that, but sometimes the way things turn out, end up being for the best.

When I hit 60, I thought the final 5 years would be all downhill. How wrong I was, they were pretty much the worst years of my working life, to the point when just past my 64th, I walked out and never went back. I was very lucky though, in that 2 weeks later the company announced they were making 4 people redundant in my department. I applied and was denied, so I fought it and won. There were no large sums of money involved, but they paid me pretty much what I would have earned by working the final 10 months. I was over the moon with that as I would have been happy to go with nothing at that stage.

Whilst I love retirement and couldn't contemplate working for someone else again, initially it wasn't a bed of roses, because my wife finished at the same time (ill health mainly), so with losing the working routine we'd both had, plus learning to be in each others company 24/7, meant we were dancing round each other for quite a while before we found our equilibrium again.

It's ok now though . Only joking .

On a sour note, the intolerance does seem to increase with age, and I have no idea why, but my wife is certainly in agreement, about me that is

As an aside, I feel really sad for those people who've had their state pension age increased - my wife has to wait another 7 years for hers. If I'd been told in the last 4 years of my working life that I had to work for two further years before I got my pension, I think I'd have topped myself.

Those people you mentioned at the beginning, didn't work for the same company did we ?
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

"
    Check your State Pension age

You’ll reach State Pension age on 24 December 2056.

Your State Pension age is 68 years."

No sympathy.

bloody pictures do not work .
    You paint a pretty picture Lennart, but all is not rosy in the garden for you either
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

I'm with Sk8r on the whole thing ...
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

I am closely watching the performance of the company pension. I plan on walking in 3 years at age 60, though state pension doesn't kick in for me until 67. I will have had 35 years in the company pension by then and it's a pretty decent scheme so I reckon I'll be off in November 2020 Roll on 2020.

Oops
    Last edited by Graywolf; 29th-September-2017 at 10:04 PM.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

I used to be No. 6. (Coffee, bike, hippy etc.)

Now, I am not a number I am a free man. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own!

"I stepped up on the platform. The man gave me the news. He said - you must be joking, son, where did you get those shoes?"

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    Oops
    Political warning graywolf? Bad man ....

Crow, you didn't grind your own coffee beans in a hand grinder at your desk did you?????????

Journal Entries

No, but only because hand grinders weren't invented yet.

"I stepped up on the platform. The man gave me the news. He said - you must be joking, son, where did you get those shoes?"

Crow Trip Log

How I feel sorry for you.

Are you really saying you cannot afford to give up your miserable existing job and do something else for the last few working years you have left??

I worked in an office as a HR manager. I didn't like it. I was becoming office person 10.

Mrs P & and myself discussed the options. One day I walked into the CEO's office and handed in my notice. A few weeks later we moved to Eire where I had 10 fantastic years - probably the best ten of my life and learned more than I'd ever learned before. Then we moved back to North Yorkshire. That was ten years ago too.

I have been self employed the last 20 years.

Since returning to the UK I've been a drystone waller and hedgelayer. Its the perfect job. I'm out in the countryside whenever I want and choose. I work when I want. Go home when I want. And take a break when I want. I have my binoculars with me so there's plenty of time for a bit of birding if the opportunity arises. Here's the view from my current office. photo.php. My customers are all happy - because I do what they want. Folk walking by this wall compliment my work several times a day = far more than any boss/colleague ever did whilst working in an office slaving away for a pension.

OK I don't have a pension as big as your pot. But I've spent 20 years living......!!!
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    Oops
    I enjoyed reading your unedited contribution to this thread.
    It rang very true with me!
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    I enjoyed reading your unedited contribution to this thread.
    It rang very true with me!
    Indeed, me too!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I too work in an open plan office and I recognise most of the ones on your list sitting round me. I'm the same age as you, and I'm hoping to get out soon. I am the old git in the corner, but I'm not grumpy. Canoeing keeps me sane.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

When you have more bad days than good its time to move, it will only make you ill, the main problem with pensions is that by the time you draw them you are Knackered, or your other half is it always one more year!!, better to go sooner with less and enjoy more. I went sole trader (plumbing and heating) from a staff position 12 years ago and now down to 2 days a week. 56 next week...No interest in work at all... just want to paddle.............do it now, tomorrow never comes.

I hate open-plan offices, listening to cr8p and wishing your life away to retiring date.

Have done my best to keep this rant gender neutral as that's the latest trend in PC circles

It looks as if you are peaking a bit early, but learn to embrace your "Grumpy old man" status. It's liberating to be able to criticise everything and nobody is surprised, I think it is a useful service to society.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

If you look round the office and can't spot the crazies it's 'cos they're sat in your chair

Been away from d'office for a most excellent week in Ireland, and heading back to email hell with "all the enthusiasm of a Goth on the way to a swimming gala".

That said, it looks like I'm lucky in as I do work with a pretty good bunch of people in a small company (<20peeps) - all have their quirks, but that's kinda what makes it more interesting.

I have to admit that I'm envious of all the folk here who have had the bravery to kick it all into touch and go self-employed etcetera. Unfortunately I don't have a skill that will transpose to self-employment and I have a son with serious mental health issues who lives with us and we obviously cannot abandon to gain "the good life". Three more years of torment I can stomach then I'm off. Maybe a part-time job at B&Q or suchlike but I'm gone at age 60..

I have a friend with a degree in physics like myself but now works as a baggage handler at an airport and loves it.
    What could be more satisfying than chuckling someone else's crap around?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Currently Bristol UK, Sometimes Quebec Province, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    It looks as if you are peaking a bit early, but learn to embrace your "Grumpy old man" status. It's liberating to be able to criticise everything and nobody is surprised, I think it is a useful service to society.
    It's not because I'm grumpy, it's because I'm RIGHT!

:-)
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzle View Post
    It's not because I'm grumpy, it's because I'm RIGHT! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    I'm with Sk8r on the whole thing ...
    Me too.

I once worked for a multi-national in London. One day I was sat in traffic somewhere on Brompton Road, saw a guy in the car behind me and thought 'if I look as bad as he does I'm packing it in'. So 30 minutes later I did. Got myself a job as a ski instructor followed by one as a windsurfing instructor. At my leaving do, the young-ish CEO (who until then I thought had everything) said he wished he could jack it all in and go skiing.

Get the hell out of there!!!
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    Walk away & don't look back. There are much better ways to spend your time. I spent 24 years in a corporate career - walked out at 48 years of age & have never had a second thought. (I'm not an idiot and made sure all my stock options etc etc were completely vested before I walked... ) The last 23 years spent roaming the backcountry and playing with my dogs have been the finest time I could ever have imagined. Just do it.
    Likewise. As I got older I reflected on being in my care home and looking back on my life and what I'd consider I did with my life and the only thing I be able to say is "I worked". So I decided I wanted more than that, so planned, implemented and retired a year younger than you! and never looked back. There really is so much more to life and with work I could not do it.

Of course everybody's situation, aspirations, needs, etc. are different but for me life is about experiences and I really could not care e.g. what sort of car I drive (getting from A to B is the relevant thing, not how expensive a car you drive), my bike is about getting to see the countryside NOT about how expensive the Shimano/Campagnolo/whatever gear fitted is, etc.. And I decided and have found I really don't need that much in terms of resources.

Ian

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

Quote Originally Posted by meirion View Post
    As you grow older I believe that your tolerance levels lower and lower and lower and lower! I now have to work in an open-plan office and it's driving me bonkers. I will explain.

1 - I'm approaching 57 and would love to retire and be able to do things that I actually want to do.
    2 - Office person #1 - stares at you as you walk down the office. Doesn't speak, just looks at you! Sneezes at least twice a day at a ridiculous level that is measured on the Richter Scale.
    3 - Office person #2 - as thick as a very thick plank, almost says doh every time a question is asked.
    4 - Office person #3 - screams and bawls down the phone at suppliers and we all slide down our chairs a bit when it's on a proper rant.
    5 - Office person #4 - Has the strangest hiccup I've ever heard and does it 4 or 5 times a day! Sounds like someone just trod on the puppy's tail!!! Also shouts out things like "Hussar" when things go well for it. Gluten intolerant and a shellfish allergy but very superior attitude and married to a wannabe MP. No luck so far in that dept.
    6 - Office person #5 - an engineer with the IQ of a peanut. Asks me questions at least once per hour about how to spell a word, what does a word mean or what's a good word to describe this? Also a hypochondriac.
    7 - Office person #6 - an engineer with a new age or bit hippy outlook, holidays to vietnam and cambodia, rides a bike and cultivates a beard etc. Rather than getting a coffee from the free machine in the canteen it brings it's own coffee beans in and grinds them at it's desk before making a brew.
    8 - Office person #7 - Dual national person that I can't understand a word that is spoken. I've spent a year nodding and laughing and not knowing what the hell I've just been told.
    9 - Office person #8 - Was in school with my eldest daughter and she warned me that it was a self-centred, arrogant, sh1t.............She wasn't wrong!
    10 - Office person #9 - Normal and I have decent conversations and a good laugh with this person.
    11 - Office person #10 - old grumpy git in the corner...............ME!

Wait til you get to my age and then it is........to anyone just approaching...."WHATDOYOUWANT???"

"I'm very good at hearing badly but very good with my bad eyesight"

The view from my current office. Its a proper open plan one. (I haven't actually done any work yet).

21764748_10210256302190236_2720121294017509689_n.j pg

And here's the other end of my office. I've almost finished work.

22491873_10210435983122147_1445879859741846527_n.j pg

Anyway Meirion, keep saving up for your retirement so you'd better get back to work and keep going on the hamster wheel with all the other hamsters.
    Last edited by David Perry; 20th-October-2017 at 07:28 AM.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

David, do you need an apprentice?

Journal Entries

At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder - what would Jimmy Buffet do?

Crow Trip Log

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

Met a guy I know the other day, in th middle of the road in a small village be t to ours, I stopped and asked how things, are going . He is 70 now, long retired head teacher, and he said to me...."Ingo old son, I want to move somewhere in the outer Hebrides, no neighbours, nobody walking g past my place.........as Long as there's a pub nearby, in walking distance, I'll go, have a pint or two, talk to whoever I want to talk to, go home and shut the door......that'll do me just fine!" I told him he was a man after my own heart! Am I getting grumpy? Hell, yes! And, sk8er, what are stock options?

"I'm very good at hearing badly but very good with my bad eyesight"

I unfortunately worked too long with awful managers (the psychotic type) and students that didn't want to work or learn (they only turned up to claim their 35 per week educational maintenance allowance!).

Work in those conditions made me ill.

It took me a few years to get over the trauma but now ten years after retiring, I'm still canoeing and having fun. Doing most of the things I want to.

So, from one who's been there and wishes he didn't have the T shirt.

Follow the advice, take a serious look at finances and how to survive until you can get your pension, work's and/or state. It does get quite easy after the initial shock and it beats working.

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
    And, sk8er, what are stock options?
    Really basically, it's the right to buy stock at a deeply discounted price within a fixed period of time (there are many variations on that theme). So, essentially, you not only make an immediate profit (capital gain, so tax free in many jurisdictions) but you also then make continued profit, assuming a bull market, as the share price continues to rise over time, along with the dividends, (and, at the right time (hopefully) you sell out and reap the entire benefit to re-invest in a secure form e.g. bonds , treasury bills etc etc). All legal, too.

Well I am 52 and still hand grind my coffee at my desk!

I'm possibly latching onto this thread a little late - perhaps I just want to find out what it takes to be no longer "a quiet member". Anyway, I agree with all above who recommend getting out of it as soon as you can. Think about the quality of your life, your walking boots and your paddle or whatever it is that really enriches you; stop imagining what anyone else might be thinking about your alloy wheels.

I took a few months off work early last year to refurbish my house, with a view to selling it, finding somewhere smaller and using the equity to fund early retirement. Eighteen months later I still haven't returned to work. The house progresses slowly and my former colleagues, wags that they are, might rip the pee out of me for how long it is taking given that most of my working life was in construction. Sod'em, I have come to know all of the nooks and crannies of my long-standing favourite parts of our fabulous New Forest, I can distinguish all three colour variations of female small red damselfies and lots of stuff about our other odonata, with photos to prove it. Since they all die off by mid autumn and I needed another excuse to keep me away from decorating, I reinvigorated my paddling to see me through the winter months. No more crawling through traffic twice a day, no more negotiating my way through awkward situations relating to peripheral work issues instead of just getting on with my job.

I am happier now than I have ever been except for when I first fell in love as a teenager, though probably now somewhat less confused.

If at all possible, free yourself, I can recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hewitt View Post
    The house progresses slowly and my former colleagues, wags that they are, might rip the pee out of me for how long it is taking given that most of my working life was in construction. Sod'em,
    We all know that the builders house is the last to get done, it's a sort of defence mechanism from taking your work home with you and never getting a break. Eventually overridden by another defense mechanism of wishing to stay alive give the increasing threats from "she who must be obeyed", make the most of it while you can!!

Evening All (now that shows my age...)

I have a plan for next year to take a 3 month career break and go teaching sailing somewhere hot and sweaty for three months.

Skip the open plan office, bugs and bitching, tele-conferences with our American cousins until late evening, just Foxtrot Oscar and do something different.

Paul
    Looking for the end of the rainbow

Go for it?

It could change your life for the better.

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

In my experience you nearly always regret the things that you don't do, go for it.

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Well, I've decided to jump off the treadmill.

Having been a teacher since the mid 1980s, I am now sick to the back-teeth of beaurocracy, re-invented wheels and B$. I'm taking early retirement as of the end of this term.

Looking forward to paddling mid-week, and holidaying out of season!
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

I packed up teaching after 25 years and have never looked back. I didn't realise how stressed I must have been till the weight was lifted off my shoulders. I thought I'd miss the kids but I never did. On the downside, I still have to work, but now in a stress free part-time job.

Sam