Thread: Logo for SotP

Journal Entries

Default Logo for SotP

As mentioned on another thread it may be useful to have a badge at canoeing shows and for meet ups so that we can recognize each other. It would also be a handy way to let people know about the site by having canoe / car stickers.

For any badge to be successful we need a Logo. Ideally the logo should clearly associate with open canoeing, be simple to reproduce and be clear at a verity of scales.

So far we have had the smilie suggested which is not actually a bad idea as it fits many of the requirements.

Regarding badges I think initially I would make op a down-loadable image that you could print onto labels for events and meet ups, although I might need to do this through email to ensure that it was only members that were using them. although I cannot see a huge benefit in someone fraudulently using them.

In time we may look as car stickers etc but these would probably need to be ordered in bulk and I would need to charge for them as my generosity in supporting the site ca only go so far

So what do you suggest? If you cannot draw the image you can just describe it. If you are a design wizard then all the better.

Journal Entries

I'm afraid I'm no use for graphic design, but how about a suggestion?

How much does this site cost to run John? I don't mean your time , but in hosting, software etc. Car/boat stickers with a logo and web address will cost maybe £3 each depending on minimum order quantities etc (e.g. from here or here). Do you think they could be sold for a couple of quid more than this, and the proceeds used to help pay the hosting bill?

I for one have gained a huge amount from this site and forum already, and would be more than willing to put a little back to see it continue, and remain advert free. If we could spread the word at the same time, then so much the better!

What do you think?

Blutack.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutack
    I'm afraid I'm no use for graphic design, but how about a suggestion?

How much does this site cost to run John? I don't mean your time , but in hosting, software etc. Car/boat stickers with a logo and web address will cost maybe £3 each depending on minimum order quantities etc (e.g. from here or here). Do you think they could be sold for a couple of quid more than this, and the proceeds used to help pay the hosting bill?

I for one have gained a huge amount from this site and forum already, and would be more than willing to put a little back to see it continue, and remain advert free. If we could spread the word at the same time, then so much the better!

What do you think?

Blutack.
    Well said that man!
    I totally agree. Its rare to find "owt for nowt" in this world so I would welcome the chance to put something back.

Me too. I'd definitely fork out for stickers / t-shirts and pay a bit extra to help fund the site.

In terms of logos - I'm sure I've seen someone on this site with an avatar that looks like a silhouette of a paddler in an open boat. I'll try and find it. Anyway - I thought this one was good.

I recommend we gather up all the ideas and then put it to the vote - via a forum poll. Whaddya reckon?

BigAl and Bothyman both have good logos as their avatars.

Check them out!

However if we use either of these, it might be too much for their egos!

Journal Entries

Regarding paying for the site, currently I am happy to cover the costs at the level they are at. as time goes on if the membership increases then the costs will probably increase. At that time we will need to look at ways of generating funds.

Banner adds are the absolute last resort. What I would think is most likely is having a two tier membership. The current level would stay but there would be the option of a contributing membership which would get you a few extra bells and whistles, like a badge, able to upload pictures directly etc. I have no firm plans on this but this is how it is done on both BushcraftUK and BritishBlades where it seems to work well.

Do you mean this one.

Its actually Bill Mason from his path of the paddle series.I took it off as my Avatar I didnt want to infringe any copywrite.

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Do you mean this one.

Its actually Bill Mason from his path of the paddle series.I took it off as my Avatar I didnt want to infringe any copywrite.
    No - but its good aswell.

I meant these:-

and...

Journal Entries

I can see the appeal of a silhouette but you have to be careful that from a distance it does not just look like a blob.

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Do you mean this one.

I like something along those lines [not the smilie!]
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Journal Entries

This sort of thing?

one of the reasons I suggested the smilie was that it was neutral and yet all encompassing. The other suggestions dipict only one aspect of the sport, flat water.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Default Logo

John I think you've probably nailed it with that one and the lettering would look right going round the outside. RE: Subscripton I don't think there would be many current users (if any at all) who would not take out a subscription when it becomes necessary. Mike B...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tenboats1
    one of the reasons I suggested the smilie was that it was neutral and yet all encompassing. The other suggestions dipict only one aspect of the sport, flat water.
    That is a very valid point. The other thing to remember is that the Logo need now be immediately obvious as having a canoe connection but it would probably be better if it had.

My wife likes the idea of a musical note in place of a paddle or combined with a paddle in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B
    RE: Subscripton I don't think there would be many current users (if any at all) who would not take out a subscription when it becomes necessary. Mike B...
    Not sure about that. We have over 210 members but a fair amount of them have never even posted but I do get your point. I think we are still a while away from needing funding but I am grateful for the offers so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    This sort of thing?

Yep - I like this one.

Default Logo for SotP

Hi,

I can see the direction it has come from and the direction it is going, which i am fine with.

Proportions on the picture are all out. Nothing against 'John MK' but your a tall guy compared to most, with a tiddly boat. It just doesn't look right ( from the perceived correct view of what a canoe should look like), although it performs right for you.

A purely art/drawn silhouette may be better and easier to reproduce. Side view of a prospector with crossed paddles (ottertails balanced or one trad paddle and one white water style paddle unbalanced). Very plain and simple, but does say that its about canoes.

PB

www.songofthepaddle.co.uk

For a sticker on my boat or car I quite like the web site banner.

Take off the navigation bits on right and add a web address

I've just noticed MK has somthing similar in his signature
    Rogue

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue
    I've just noticed MK has somthing similar in his signature
    For a car sticker that would do. Might need to adjust the font a bit and add in the www. and .co.uk bits into the name so you realise it is a web address but not very good for an ID badge.

I had thought about a close up of the paddle bit of the above picture but would need to play about with it to see how clear it could be.

Journal Entries

I'm afraid I've got to agree with Paul. It's a nice photo but the proportions just don't look right.

The head banner would make a lovely car sticker, but I'd be conerned about how many you would have to order to make it worthwhille( I'd take lots but it could still be expensive to produce)

I think a plain graphic design would work best, especially for a badge. The canoe smillie is OK, though I'm sure there are other ones out there that could be used. I know that clip art on my work pc has got some really good canoe cartoons/graphics. The other thought is, Paul Mason is a member on here and he does cartoons of canoes, it may be cheeky but it may be worth asking him if we could use one of his drawings. (OK that may be too much, but if you don't ask you don't get )
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Default logo

i agree with Rogue - this would be great... with URL added. I would happily stick this to my canoe - but probably wouldn't want one in my car because of leaving it parked in what are sometimes 'canoe unfriendly' places! Although a smilie is easily rcognisable it seems a bit naff - I'm for discrete and subtle, something to take another look at but not in your face.
    I'm sure MK has to be careful with revenue - and money is often the down fall of many a good venture. Keep it informal as long as pos. But, MK I'll buy you a beer!! thanks!!

Journal Entries

I had the idea of a treble clef with a paddle handle coming from the top,

I was going to mock it up ut couldn't find a treble clef anywhere, the www.song.... could be written vertically along side it?

Just and idea.
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

Default Logo

I designed the Logo for my canoe club and in doing so found that it was best to keep everything as simple as possible. The reason behind this is to make it easy to print or as in our case, we got it stitched onto fleeces and polo shirts. To this end I came up with the following design. It shows a paddle dipping into a wave of music. If its kept to two colours, it will be easier to reproduce, it could even be printed with a clear background so that it would let the colour of a canoe show through.

See what you think...

Regards,
    Big Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al.
    I designed the Logo for my canoe club and in doing so found that it was best to keep everything as simple as possible. The reason behind this is to make it easy to print or as in our case, we got it stitched onto fleeces and polo shirts. To this end I came up with the following design. It shows a paddle dipping into a wave of music. If its kept to two colours, it will be easier to reproduce, it could even be printed with a clear background so that it would let the colour of a canoe show through.

See what you think...

Regards,
    Big Al.
    I had an Idea today But I see that BIG AL has beaten me to it.
    But how about this for a badge, after watching Ray Mears carve a Paddle then Ray Goodwin carve a spatula I thought that maybe we could all display a mini home made paddle.Though mine would probably end up looking like a toothpick.

What is the tune?
    Rogue

Default Tune

I had originally thought of using the first few bars of "An Feochan" which means Gentle Breeze, something we all like when paddling. But it was too long and then, when I decided to insert the paddle through the music, it obscurred most of the notes.

I hear slow airs when paddling on a misty morning, and jigs and reels when I paddle whitewater. As long as you get to hear the song of the paddle as often as possible, it doesn't matter what it is.

So in answer to Rogue's question, the tune in my Logo is whatever you want it to be.

Big Al.

Journal Entries

My thoughts at the moment are probably for a variant of the site header for the car / canoe sticker and something like Big Al's version for badges. But there is no rush so keep the ideas coming.

Any badge would have to include the full www.SongOfThePaddle.co.uk so that people can easily find the site.