Thread: Celebrating the Arrival of Autumn 2017...

Default Celebrating the Arrival of Autumn 2017...

Celebrating the Arrival of Autumn 2017..
    A Little Paddling Some Good Eating and the Option of a Night Out Under the Stars!

With provisional room so far at the paddled-in table for approx. 8-10 paddlers… All you’ve got to do now is get there.. by canoe!

If you’re interested, don’t forget to bring along a decent sized mug and a few pennies in your pocket, just to help offset my initial outlay and a KFS (knife, fork & spoon). Or, just a spoon… if you’re travelling light!

Working hard now on a weekend off, with a whole bunch of new stolen recipes and searching now for a location in which to slaughter them all!

Any assistance in the above mission would be greatly appreciated...& very much rewarded!

Chef Bonar....
    Trying hard now to remember the last time that I did something for the first time....and remember that Bacon makes everything taste so much better!

P.S.
    This proposed celebration of the arrival of Autumn 2017 meet may of course have to be gently folded into October… and then carefully sauteed into…maybe into a Halloween meet?… All very much due to not having much time off between now and then, and loads and loads of ideas of what to do if ever I did! 😊

Best to Stay Tuned....
    Where there’s a will, there’s a way….or more likely some squabbling relatives!

P.P.S.
    If anyone can organise a Halloween bash for the week-end 28th-29th October this year....then I have several props and a Witchy Pot that are all willing to travel!
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((( ((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Attendance and assistance obviously available, but we do need a steer, or some options, on the likely date, mate!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Chef Bonar!

Free time seems a bit of a premium here also at present, but I shall diligently follow this thread and believe me, if I can, I will. (and even if I cant... I might anyway)
    If I could only paddle like a doggie oughta paddle

I'm chock-a-block until end of November so will probably have to pass on this one. However, if by bizarre coincidence it gets pushed into December I'll definitely be there!

Have a good one. I'll keep an eye on it just in case.
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

I'm keen. Dates and family commitments allowing ...

One day we ought to do an overnight on Darnet fort in the Medway estuary (guarding Chatham). But a plan like that would need a date where the tides are right and a nearby plan B in case conditions turned out not to be suitable for the open water crossings involved. (Possibly best not planned for the more blustery autumn months—and I guess someone would need to check whether overwintering birds cause restrictions at any point in the year.)

Nene is always tempting. Great Ouse is a great river to play on. Or if this is during the October half term (20th to 29th) I may be down in the Purbeck area in which case sneaking away from the family for a bit of a paddle somewhere in Poole Harbour could be fun ...

keep us posted. :-)
    Ian

If the planets align, I am willing to partake in pagan revelry to celebrate the Celtic festival of Samhain

Might do some paddling also

Mal,
    I'm looking now at the week-end Sat..30th Sept - Sunday 1st Oct.. After that I'm very much double booked with family birthdays and commitments right up until the Halloween Week-end 27-29th October...
    Thereafter with a sneaky week-end booked off for the 4th & 5th of November to hopefully join Fran and others, for the fireworks paddle at Windsor Racecourse, as seen from the Thames. Sadly I missed last years escapade and experience But have since put-aside (stock-piled) a few Chilli-Dogs that are now awaiting this trip! I'll make it this year Fran.... no worries!

MB

I tried to multi-quote above - but it 'all went to rats' once again!
    I guess that's down to the fact that I don't have a Smart Phone, do Twitter or indeed have a profile on Faceslap....or whatever it's called!
    Don't get me wrong here, I do appreciate the recent advances in technology and the advantages that it gives us. all....it's just that it doesen't light my fire, that's all!
    Whereas sparks under a tarp very much do!

Here's now my manual multi-quote option to the failure above which now sounds very muc like a line out of a Fawlty Towers sketch or whatever.....

Nigel, BMJ:
    "if I can, I will. (and even if I cant... I might anyway)....
    That's the spirit!

Broadsman...
    "If by bizarre coincidence this meat gets pushed into December.."
    If the meat gets pushed into December....let's call it a Turkey Meat!

IDC..
    Darnet Fort on the Medway made my ear prick up somewhat that's for sure, and yes, of course the Nene is always forever tempting...But, I'll need to seek advanced approval from both thrice the Patterdale Paddler, Neil & the Hippo before even thinking about encroaching upon that Hallowed H20 again!

Though I am quite willing to grovvel to achieve an aim!

So,here's to Autumn, a favorite time of year for me and in this case an evolving gathering...

Pete, a chance now to don that so far boxed Pith Helmet!

MB

Ken,
    My sincere apologies for not replying to you also in my dinosaur multi quote, but I had just put some toast on and the kitchen alarm was just about to go besrwerk and wake up dear wifey......had to deal with iit....then and there like a man!, Grrrr!

Or explain to Dear Wifey.....and I ain't that brave!

MB

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    Mal,
    I'm looking now at the week-end Sat..30th Sept - Sunday 1st Oct..

That works for me. Been a while since we've been to a local castle...? But happy anywhere and perhaps the group will be too big for that one.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make a Hallowe'en meet this year. My dad and his brother turn 80 on the 29th, and it falls to me to organise a family bash. Hmm, wonder if 12 other family members (from 18 months to 81) fancy a night under tarps wearing silly masks?!!!! It'll need to be wheelchair friendly!! Perhaps not...

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    Might do some paddling also
    ... Not too much, you know we don't really like paddling!

Quote Originally Posted by BaldMan Jump View Post
    ... Not too much, you know we don't really like paddling!
    I heard he prefers swimming...

Sat..30th Sept - Sunday 1st Oct.... this might work for me. meant to be going to a 50th, but gone a bit quiet on that front (and if it does go ahead, I could just plead confusion and not turn up!)

Sir, Squabbling Bleeder MarkL sir, registering initial interest and offers of support and assistance.
    Chocks away chappies, bandits at 5 o'clock

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    ..... but we do need a steer.....
    Now there's a thought BBQ Steer, Hmmmmmmmmm

MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

You're gonna need a bigger boat!
    ;-)

Maybe if work permits
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

Wot wot, thought you were the boss Jimmy!!

Could be a yes.

No chance here, heading down to Devon for a week that weekend

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    Wot wot, thought you were the boss Jimmy!!
    Not anymore back to lining other peoples pockets
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

"DIVER ONE TO SURFACE...ALL STOP! ALL STOP!"
    Recce on Darnet Fort now very much imminent! (Many thanks for this one Ian, totally outstanding! )

The above Celebration Paddle of the Arrival of Autumn and associated dates are now very much on hold/cancelled until the recce of Darnet Fort has been carried out!....Week-end 30th September - 1st October.

If interested, all meet at the Riverside Country Park car park (CP) East of Gillingham ( the one in Kent!) on the B2004 between Grange and lower Rainham.( Google it for further details. )

I aim to be at the car park by 1500hrs latest on Sat..30th Sept..(as working not too late the night beforehand). Paddle then north from the CP with a good Viking attitude and then spend the night there.....and why not!

We'll then re-name this mission....as The Halloween 2017 Recce!

Ian you're a genius!

P.S.
    All Recce Team volunteers will need to provide their own rations for this mission.... and be prepared to trade, if they're deemed to be any good!

P.P.S.
    Jon, Jules ,
    This location could very much possibly be, dependent on weather conditions of course, the ultimate location for a Spooky Spam Challenge Finale!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 16th-September-2017 at 12:53 AM.

MB

Glad to be of help. I'm not local to Medway, but have paddled there once or twice. It's a gorgeous place. Big open skies.

We might want the input of a local to confirm that leaving cars overnight at the country park is a. allowed, and b. won't trigger a nervous call to the RNLI to go looking for missing paddlers who they've assumed met a misadventure and failed to return. Or perhaps a note in the windscreen would be sufficient?

I hope the weather is good as it is quite open water to get across.
    This may be of use: http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbou...t=Go&match=and

I'm out of the country for the next week. Will know more about my availability when I get back on the 25th. Sorry not to be able to commit more decisively than that.

By the way, officially the island is private property, though I believe sensitive camping is allowed.

Can anybody shed any light on the best tidal conditions? My assumption would be leaving on or just before high on the slack, so any growing flow takes us towards the island, but get there early enough that its not miles of mud flats on arrival! I make it about 3km, so an hour or so should be fine if we were just heading straight there.

For the recce;

Sat 30 Sep
    LW HW LW HW
    01:47 08:13 14:35 21:12
    1.9 m 4.6 m 1.8 m 4.7 m

So, tides not ideal if we need higher water to get close enough, as high is early morning and late evening.

Return best on a mid-rising tide? Again, assuming we don't want low water, so again tides not ideal.

Sun 1 Oct
    LW HW LW HW
    03:27 09:41 16:10 22:30
    1.8 m 4.8 m 1.6 m 5.0 m

Locals give us a better idea?

Wind will be the other major factor, ideally F1/2, F3 might be OK, but anything higher (>10-12 mph) would be dubious.

I think we need a plan B location too.

Apologies, but if it is going to be in coastal Kent, then that's going to be a bit far from where I'm staying in Yorkshire to go for an overnight so I'll withdraw at this stage
    no worries, keep up the good work
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Um. Embarrassingly, I forgot I'm committed to attending a very good friend's wedding on the 30th so I can't make the recce. I'll try and make myself available for any follow up Halloween bash ...

Mal, an hour's crossing sounds about right to me. I think there are better acquainted locals on this site who might be able to offer advice on ideal tide timings. (But will they ...?)

Quote Originally Posted by idc View Post
    I think there are better acquainted locals on this site who might be able to offer advice on ideal tide timings. (But will they ...?)
    What if we offer them shiny beads and mirrors, and then the chance of some 'well-burnt' food and warm beer in return for local information? (It's always worked for me in the past! )

Without doubt, we certainly need to tap into the local info.. or get down there this week-end coming, prior to the recce, and start scouting about. Nothing ventured Nothing Gained!

Further thoughts this evening: Maybe an approach from the north shore, once I find a put in? I've been trying hard to find one with The Great Eyeballs in the Skyballs (Google Maps) but there's nothing better than being there, boots on the ground, as they say, and then having a good scoot around. Unfortunately, I don't have that option available to me between now and the week-end 30th Sept -01 Oct.....

I guess now that I'm up against rock and a hard place, or more likely an estuary full of mud, if I miss the tides!

So, if we don't get to tough this one out...how about a slightly more tamer Halloween at Hoo Fort? Approached from the north shore...once that I find a put-in and somewhere to leave the cars.

MEDWAY ESTUARY PADDLERS WE ARE IN NEED OF YOUR HELP!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 17th-September-2017 at 10:20 PM.

MB

Jon, Jules ,
    This location could very much possibly be, dependent on weather conditions of course, the ultimate location for a Spooky Spam Challenge Finale!
    Hi Mark,

Hope all well and good with you.

Deffo tracking this thread!, but most paddle thoughts at the mo are on the Liffey next weekend and subsequent week in Ireland jolly. Back in England sometime on the 29th, but suspect the w/e 30th will be drying self and kit out.

Will probably start pondering Halloween and SPAM shortly thereafter :-).

Cheers
    Jon

Queensborough on the Isle of Sheppey has an all-tide slipway, but I think it is a good bit further to paddle to get to Darnet. Admiral D'ascoigne of this parish is local but not always on the SotP. Um, who else. Unk Tantor, not local but has sailed on the Medway a bit. I think there are a few Kent-ish fold on the SotP who could advise. But they may not be tracking this thread ...

I think there are a few Kent-ish fold on the SotP who could advise.
    According to the Members Map there are a few that could possibly be PM'd ?

Many thanks for the input Jon, Ian.

Since getting home earlier this evening, around midnight!... I've been going over this proposed plan of mine, a plan once again written on the back of a fag packet!
    With my conclusions now being that firstly the Recce proposed for Sat..30th Sept.. is really a non-starter due to the tidal predictions (many thanks for the info Mal) As preferably I would like to get out on the water with plenty of daylight left to have a good look around prior to an overnight stop at Darnet Fort. (Which looks just the place for a Halloween bash! )
    Secondly. looking at the tidal predictions for the week-end 27-29th October (the nearest that I could get was for Sheerness some 10km to the NE) Some of us would get to the island loc. as the light begins to fade on the Friday or for the main group arrive in near darkness on the Saturday. With all then having to either be ready to paddle off at Sparrows' Fart on Sunday morning or wait the best part of the day for the next tide....Which, of course may then have quite a knock-on effect on the time at which we all get home.....and I haven't even factored-in the possible weather and sea state/ conditions that may prevail that day! Which means basically that a Plan B for Halloween will most definitely need to be in place....

Probably best now if we just opt for the Plan B at this stage, it'll save a lot of gnashing of teeth and much tears that way! ......Also best now that I get my skates back on rather sharpish and come-up with that Autumnal Celebration Paddle Plan!

Celebrating the Arrival of Autumn 2017..
    A Little Paddling Some Good Eating and the Option of a Night Out Under the Stars!

It's back on!

MB

P.S.
    Got to get to the Fort one day though - A Mexican Evening maybe?
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 19th-September-2017 at 12:53 AM.

MB

Maybe for the best mate, tis a big ask in October for the tides, wind and shortening days to all come together. The fort will be assaulted one day, though I suggest another Pith Helmet attack would be more appropriate, I can see the picture of you leading the charge across the "plank" at Darnet in my head already.

Still up for something on the 30th/1st.

Now, I don't often use this expression,if ever at all to be honest, but in this particular case, I think that it's somewhat justified & most appropriate! - "I'm totally gutted that the recce for Darnet Fort has now gone out the window, much to by bad planing it has to be said, and that the tides are not in our favour for Halloween this year - totally gutted!"

We must keep a weather eye out now as these Autumn and Winter seasons pan by, for any opportunity that may arise just to get out there and visit either the Fort at Hoo or the one on Darnet island...both of which look like super destinations for a themed canoe visit! - Keep yer Pith Helmets on standby! (Ian, once again many thanks indeed for the heads' up on this one! )

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....
    I now have a plan for Sunday 1st October (I can't do Sat. 30th Sept.overnight camp/bivvie, as now working late/late on the Friday beforehand in accordance with modern day UK slave labour hours, with all the lash marks to prove it! )

Ignoring the latest welts, my new plan involves a local well-known canal, a castle (Some of which, who say that it looks as if it were made of dirty snow...eh, Brother Crow! ) and a Pork shoulder joint that's in need of desperate campfire cooking!

I've been working on the timings for this plan for a day or two now. With an aim to suit most, and also be able have this joint 'slow-cooked' and served with some other tasty morsels for a Sunday Roast Autumn Special...and the best that I come up with so far, in a nutshell, is for 6-8 volunteer paddlers to depart Winchfield Hurst Wharf at approx.. midday on Sunday 1st October and aim to be at Odiham Castle by 1400hrs (that's 2 pm in English )

With a proposed/ estimated time thereafter and return to the wharf at Winchfield Hurst being between 1800-1830hrs....getting dark.

These timings, esp. being on Sunday may not suit many or indeed all. So what I need to know now, before proceeding any further and posting any detailed instructions....is, is there any appetite for this meet? ....With Pun being very much intended!

MB

Oh got appetite for fresh meat!!

Yep, I'm starving! Could do with a nosh up...

This sounds perfect!!

Fresh back the grindstone this evening, a chance now to 'add a little more meat to the bones of this proposed trip'...
    Noting now an obvious appetite building above, from the usual suspects , there's still room for another 2-3 paddlers if at all you're interested....
    The open invite will now close on Weds.. 27th September, so that I can then crack on with the preparations....So, you now have only 96hrs left to decide whether you're coming along or not!

I''m very much tempted now to post the lunchtime menu, but also very much reluctant to do so, as, as it stands, with just the three above and yours truly here, it won't just be an Autumn Celebration Paddle....it'll be a Roast Pork Fest at Odiham Castle!

If you haven't already thought about coming along on this paddle adventure....I strongly recommend now that you stay home, and let us at the Castle, eat more Pork!

If you don't want to stay home, and the weather's looking good..then .follow the smoke trail down to Odiham Castle on 1st October 2017. You could do a lot worse....

"It's lunch Jim, but not as we know it!"

MB

Had chance for a little preparation this afternoon, and made the most of it, as this coming weekend personal time will very much come at a premium....

Whilst still keeping the forthcoming lunchtime menu at Odiham Castle very much close to my chest, until the very last minute, I will need a little assistance on the day...

Mal : Can you bring a tarp along that you can maybe attach to the kitchen tarp, just in case of inclement weather on the day.
    Ken : I've got you down now as The Chai Master General for the day, and very much looking forward to it! Don't worry about bringing gas along, as there'll be a wood fire going all day!
    Nigel : Can you bring an additional 5ltrs of drinking water along to help with logistics.

As we close now on the final numbers...the detailed instructions bit : "6-8 volunteer paddlers to depart Winchfield Hurst Wharf at approx.. midday on Sunday 1st October and aim to be at Odiham Castle by 1400hrs (that's 2 pm in English ) Don't dilly dally on the way, lunch will be served at 1430hrs...
    Any questions? No? Good!

The Pop Up Kitchen Party (consisting of me, myself and I ) to depart Winchfield Hurst Wharf at 0500hrs Sunday 1st October 2017 (If you want to join me, you're truly certifiable!) but. welcome
    The Dining Party to depart Windshield Hurst Wharf at no later than midday that day!

MB

The Pop Up Kitchen Party (consisting of me, myself and I ) to depart Winchfield Hurst Wharf at 0500hrs Sunday 1st October 2017 (If you want to join me, you're truly certifiable!) but. welcome
    2hrs of paddling in the morning darkness to reach Odiham castle...

If you haven't already experienced a Dudley Tunnel Trip (which I highly recommend) here's your chance to experience a poor mans version!

MB

Honing my chai wallah skills as I type this with my toes...

Mal : Can you bring a tarp along that you can maybe attach to the kitchen tarp, just in case of inclement weather on the day.
    !
    Yes, Sir. Thank you, Sir.

Nigel : Can you bring an additional 5ltrs of drinking water along to help with logistics.
    yes indeedy - I think I can manage that

Mark, et al, there is a water tap at Colt Hill Wharf, which can be accessed with a British Waterways key, so if we need more, its only a half hour trip each way! I'll stick a big water carrier in too.

Failing that...Whitewater stream looks fairly clean!!!