Thread: Rudimentary salt water fishing

Default Rudimentary salt water fishing

I like to paddle and sail on multi-day expeditions on Scottish freshwater lochs and sheltered sea lochs. I'm a complete ignoramus about fishing of any kind, and so are my usual companions.

But in my head I have a vision of trailing a line behind the boat and finding, when we pull onto the beach below the perfect emerald turf where we'll pitch the tents, that tonight's meal has attached itself. Without me doing anything much at all.

What might I trail behind the boat in salt water to maximise the chances of this actually happening? What kind of line, what kind of hook, with what sort of attraction for the said evening meal - live bait, something shiny, or what?

I expect some people could offer a lifetime's experience in response to this question, but keep it simple please!

I know little about fishing, but mackerel feathers on a simple handline might be worth a try.

Also, found this old thread; http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...catch-mackerel
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

My concern about sea fishing from a canoe is if you catch something decent. A good cod can pull pretty hard. You could find a reasonable weight pulling down/away at a point somewhat beyond the gunwales. As such, I'd probably want something using a reel with a drag that limits how hard something can pull on the end.

They do make special short rods designed for kayak fishing. I'm quite a fan of Fladen as a brand of entry level fishing rods in general. Try something like a Fladen trigger rod, they do a few models. For mackerel etc the "cup" would be fine. For bigger stuff the "celtic" would work. You can pick one up, complete with a multiplier reel for around 30 on ebay. Jigging feathers or a similar lure from one of them would be just the job for catching mackerel/pollock/coalfish/the bottom (you catch the bottom fairly frequently when sea fishing).

There is also a thing called a paravane which could be used with that rod and a rod holder for trolling (towing a lure/bait behind a boat).

You would still need to pay attention though to see if you've hooked something. Dragging a hooked fish behind your boat any distance will result in it coming off again or being eaten by a bigger fish.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

If you hunt any animal you must do it correctly to reduce the pain and suffering to a minimum, it is not a game these are living feeling creatures. I hunt so I am not against taking animals for food but it is the duty of the hunter to do it as efficiently as possible. Dragging a fish with a hook in it's mouth or worst in its throat for a long time is unacceptable, you should use a system that informs you when a fish is on the hook so you can land and dispatch it ASAP. A short rod in sight or with a clicking clutch is as good a system as any, you just need to fix a tube type rod holder to your boat.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

You might find the mackeral have all gone as they are normally a summer fish.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

I don't care if the water is salt or not, my strong advice is DON'T try trolling a line behind as you travel - the possibilities of mishap and/or capsize while you are trying to reel in & net a fish, especially on big water, are many and very likely. I fish for food on pretty much all my trips, but I don't do it while travelling. I get where I'm going & then push off back out onto the water to get my supper.

However, if you want to fish from your canoe, I strongly suggest you get a rod-holder like the one I use - it attaches to the yoke via a butterfly-nut-type arrangement, and can be quickly removed and stored for travelling and portaging.

As for bait/lures I don't have a clue - I live 1500 km. from the nearest saltwater.

Thanks for all that.