Did I mention the scenery?

And there was time to relax

Until the forest fires hit

And it got a little smoky

So we ended with cinnamon rolls

And got picked up a day early

And flew over the fires

And made it back to civilisation.

Awesome!! Even civilisation looks pretty phenomenal in terms of the views.
    Some nice country there.

Outstanding images of what looks like an amazing trip Bob.

Rather puts our Sweden/Norway adventure into perspective when you look at the map and see just how wild that country is!

Couple of questions;

How far did you tend to travel on an average day?

How much of the river is rapids, how much easier?

Are the harder (2+/3) sections portageable or lineable if conditions said you couldn't run them?

All a bit arbitrary, not financially in a position to do this sort of trip....but one day!

Thanks for sharing, truly fantastic stuff.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Did you have a satellite phone or rescue beacon?

Looks like an amazing adventure. Loved the photos especially, but then it all looks amazing. The weather also. Surprised you had such consistently good weather so far north. Did you use an outfitters for your gear? You all seemed to be wearing the same drysuits.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Outstanding images of what looks like an amazing trip Bob.

Rather puts our Sweden/Norway adventure into perspective when you look at the map and see just how wild that country is!

Couple of questions;

All a bit arbitrary, not financially in a position to do this sort of trip....but one day!

Thanks for sharing, truly fantastic stuff.

How far did you tend to travel on an average day?

The first few days were tough because of the low water which meant a lot of getting in and out of the canoes. That said, the river was moving pretty fast so when it was clear we could clip along. I would say we avaraged 30km a day but the current was fast so it didn't feel too tough. It only really slowed down in the final two days and not really by that much. The tough part was that you were constantly on your knees and always looking out for sweepers. I do have all of this on film and will get that together at some point.

How much of the river is rapids, how much easier?

I'd say very little of this river is flat or calm but most of it is only class 1. The class 2 come on the first day (you go through a small canyon) and then around the "S" bend which was probably the 3rd or fourth day. There is also a big set as youe begin to leave the mountains

Are the harder (2+/3) sections portageable or lineable if conditions said you couldn't run them?

I'd say they were both, but I really doubt you would bother. It's all about honing your skills and after a short period of time you will relax into it so that you might be running class 1 rapids while picking yer nose. The main canyon is portageable with a relatively straightforward 300m portage.

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    Did you have a satellite phone or rescue beacon?
    Both. You can buy the beacon and rent the phone

That is an all round impressive trip. Thank you for putting together and sharing such an interesting collection of excellent photographs. They'll have made a lot off people on here very envious!

Nick

Neris Valkure - 1, folding kayak.
    Gumotex Twist N 1, inflatable kayak.

Quote Originally Posted by Matto View Post
    Looks like an amazing adventure. Loved the photos especially, but then it all looks amazing. The weather also. Surprised you had such consistently good weather so far north. Did you use an outfitters for your gear? You all seemed to be wearing the same drysuits.
    TBH, the weather was outstanding, almost too hot at times. The great beauty of a trip in August is that there are very few bugs. I didn't use bug spray once. All of the gear is our own but you can rent it all from an outfitter if you ever wanted to do a trip like this. We have a Canoe instructor friend who owns all of the dry suits and he lent these to us, hence the uniformity.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Excellent blog.

One of the best I've seen here in a while.

A real adventure, not many of us over here will have done anything like that.

Thanks for posting.

"Your everlasting summer, you can see it fading fast. So you grab a piece of something that you think is gonna last."

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Excellent blog.

One of the best I've seen here in a while.

A real adventure, not many of us over here will have done anything like that.

Thanks for posting.
    Thanks, TBH it's probably more doable than you think. We met a party of Australians on the river who had hired all the gear and there was one guy from Switzerland who solo'd it in an inflateable. If you could do a self supporting trip then you could keep costs to a reasonable level. It's the guided trips that get a little expensive.

In case anyone is interested, the canoes were a 17' Esquif Prospecteur (Royalex), a 16' Esquif Prospecteur (Royalite) and a 17' Old Town Tripper (Royalex). All outfitted with deep dish yolks (note the one that broke), cargo loops (not needed because of spray decks), spray deck loops and skid plates (essential).

The Old Town was a last minute addition and, tbh, the seats were too low, she wasn't quite as manouverable and she took the biggest battering. That said, the Snake is very hard on canoes so I wouldn't suggest taking anything like Kevlar or even fibreglass. I would have preferred to take my 17' Esquif Prospecteur(T-Formex) but it wasn't outfitted for a spray deck and I didn't have time to get one made to fit. If you don't have spray decks you'll be bailing water for most of the trip

There's some great pictures - But I guess in places like that with that sort of scenery I guess it can't be that hard.

Thanks for sharing!
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by David Perry View Post
    There's some great pictures - But I guess in places like that with that sort of scenery I guess it can't be that hard.

Thanks for sharing!
    LOL. I can assure you that I can take crap pictures anywhere. These were all taken by Chris who spends a reasonable amount of time on them.

Brilliant. Loved reading this....
    Never kiss a man in a canoe