Thread: Hello from Yorkshire

Default Hello from Yorkshire

Hi everyone.
    I am returning to paddeling after a break of around 8 years. My passion was surfing and sea fishing from my perception scooter. Fantastic all round SOT. We aquired a camper van around 4 years ago and I didn't fancy fitting a roof rack and lift system for a hard shell. So after some research I bought a gumotex solar 3 inflatable. I've only used it on the local canal so far but have been very impressed with it's quality, tracking ability and speed. My ultimate intention is to use it for paddle/camping trips as I still have all of my backpacking gear. Before I do this I intend to get lots of practice on a very exposed water park near to me with regards to dealing with the wind. I did this with the scooter which served me well when sea fishing off shore. Look forward to adding more and maybe meeting up for a paddle. Steve.

Welcome to SOTP
    I'm not familiar with the boat itself but anything by Gumotex is likely to be decent quality. There are other Gumotex owners here who will be more help with specifics but wanted to wish a fellow Yorkshire person welcome.

Have fun
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Hello and Welcome!

I'm sure you'll love your new canoe, hope to hear all about your future adventures.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Welcome from Yorkshire too!

I'm sure you'll soon be back on the water.. Good luck.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

+ 1 welcome from Yorkshire. Tell us where you are and maybe we can come paddle with you.

Calefactio orbis? Culus meus!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rimfire View Post
    + 1 welcome from Yorkshire. Tell us where you are and maybe we can come paddle with you.

Hi thanks for the welcome guys. I live on the western fringe of leeds. We have the leeds to liverpool canal and the quite serious River Aire nearby. For my next outing I would like to try eitjer the pocklington canal or borough bridge to linton lock. Obviously there are many more paddles near me and I would like to join up with other like minded souls. Anywhere in yorkshire and surrounding counties is a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimfire View Post

Hi thanks for the welcome guys. I live on the western fringe of leeds. We have the leeds to liverpool canal and the quite serious River Aire nearby. For my next outing I would like to try either the pocklington canal or borough bridge to linton lock. Obviously there are many more paddles near me and I would like to join up with other like minded souls. Anywhere in yorkshire and surrounding counties is a go.

Hi and welcome. I went down the Aire from Newlay and back along the Leeds and Liverpool in tandem 2 weeks ago. There wasn't a lot of water that day and when we tried to paddle the notorious Dark Arches we had to get out of the boat and walk in the river to about halfway.Really didn't see any thing too daunting there. Always happy to give it another go. I quite often paddle the Ure fom Ripon to Boroughbridge but as 'Rimfire' knows my regular trip is the Ure from Hackfalls to Sleningford at West Tanfield. I'm always pleased to have company.

Quote Originally Posted by polecat View Post
    Hi and welcome. I went down the Aire from Newlay and back along the Leeds and Liverpool in tandem 2 weeks ago. There wasn't a lot of water that day and when we tried to paddle the notorious Dark Arches we had to get out of the boat and walk in the river to about halfway.Really didn't see any thing too daunting there. Always happy to give it another go. I quite often paddle the Ure fom Ripon to Boroughbridge but as 'Rimfire' knows my regular trip is the Ure from Hackfalls to Sleningford at West Tanfield. I'm always pleased to have company.
    Nice to hear that. The reason that I called the river aire daunting is all the rubish in it plus pollutants. I know it well from fishing it for the last 30 years. Sunken trees, shopping trolleys, around Kirkstall forge it is full of sharp discarded metal and billet cages (old man was a blacksmith forman there and any cockups quite often went in the river) I would not fancy a capsize around there. Rats are another hazard with viles disease. Not for me I'm afraid. The other Rivers sound good though.

I am certain although could be wrong that the leeds canoe club stopped using the River aire due to members becoming ill. Can anyone confirm this.

Welcome, I'm in North Leeds just off the Harrogate road. You can also paddle some sections of the river Wharf one place to launch is under the bridge in Collingham which is now shut to traffic.

Curious about the large exposed water park that you mention I can't think of anything nearby.

Are you ever free to paddle during the week Monday or Friday?

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by E_McNeill View Post
    Welcome, I'm in North Leeds just off the Harrogate road. You can also paddle some sections of the river Wharf one place to launch is under the bridge in Collingham which is now shut to traffic.

Curious about the large exposed water park that you mention I can't think of anything nearby.

Are you ever free to paddle during the week Monday or Friday?

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Hi Ewan. The water park I was refering to is pugneys near wakefield. It is very safe for honing your bad weather skills as you just get blown to the shallows eventually. I learnt how to use strong winds to my advantage when coming back upwind on my SOT. It's good for practicing self rescue as well. They have a safety boat should you need it.
    Unfortunately I have returned to work (retired for a while) foolish of me I know, so only get weekends off. I know Collingham well having fished there. Presumably you paddle towards Wetherby?.

Pugneys is one of my local paddles - I'm based west of Barnsley so tend to paddle south of Leeds, but there's some nice routes on the Calder and the Don. Maybe see you on one of those.

Hi Mika, when I said not 'daunting' I was actually referring to the Dark Arches, which paddlers seem to shun. My paddle down the river was actually a nostalgia trip as we used to knock about the Kirkstall area as kids. In those days the river was filthy and grey and swarming with rats. On our trip we saw no rats but lots of kingfishers and herons as well as small fish and only one supermarket trolley. Unfortunately we capsized at the start of our trip at Newlay weir and my fellow paddler (my brother) swallowed some river water but has not succumbed to anything yet. Anyhow we really enjoyed the trip and hope to do it again when more water is flowing. We were also very impressed with how the river has changed but not impressed by the sight and smell of so much Himalayan balsam. I intend going down the Ure from Ripon North bridge on Sunday and you are welcome to join me as are anyone else who is interested.

Hi Mika, Pocklington canal is one of my local trips. Usually a there and back again for about 2 miles each way. Can be very pretty at the right time of year, but the view sometimes blocked by reeds along the bank. We usually launch and recover at the Melbourne Arm, down a track from the Melbourne Arms pub. Also found another possible put in at Hag Bridge, not actually tried it yet though. Happy to take you out there if you like.

Hi Polecat, I take it we have missed the trip? Unfortunately I was down at my Mums in Southampton for most of the weekend. My Dad passed away last November and I have been clearing his garage and workshop as Mum wants to move to London to be nearer my sister. Missus sends her regards, Cheers, Steve.

PS, know any one who wants to buy a bandsaw? Three different sizes available.