Thread: Lightweight solo canoe wanted

Default Lightweight solo canoe wanted

Hi guys,

I am in the market for an open canoe that I'll be able to load on and off my car solo. Will mainly be used for single days out paddling on The Nene, but occasionally for solo camping trips.

I have recently bought a Hou 15', which is great for taking the family out in, but it is took big (and more importantly, too heavy) for days out on my own.

I am based in Corby, Northants. Any help appreciated

Thanks

Tom

There are lots of Old Town Pack canoes available second hand at the moment in the 600 -700 range
    They are circa 15kgs and are 12' solo canoe in Royalex

Then you can get smaller Hou 13 - circa 21Kgs I believe though not certain on that - price around 900
    In this category there are a few other canoes but mainly for flat water e.g.
    Nova Craft Fox 14 - Tuffstuff 1600 - circa 20Kgs
    Nova Craft Trapper 12 Tuffstuff - circa 15kgs - 1500
    Old Town Discovery 119 - Circa 20kgs - 900

Then you can import from Austria a number of Swift canoes that are very light but very expensive 2500 and upwards + import costs

Hello and Welcome!

What kmac said, really, OT Packs seem to come up quite often, e.g this one; http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-Pack-for-sale
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Locally there is also the Mega Outlander 14' which is a carbon kevlar canoe
    Used to be quite reasonably priced but with new owners now I have no idea of weight or price

okay checking their website they do a full carbon version at 12kgs with two seats for 3000

They also do a carbon kevlar 14" for 950 for which they say weight is approx 17kgs

If I could only paddle like a doggie oughta paddle

yeah but that's been tangoed....

talk to apache stu
    he will price you various weghts/components/prices for various canoes
    that's what im going to do, for exactly the same reason as you
    nature is m X-box

What weight is good for you? some thing 25 kg is light others think 15. some think 500 pounds is cheap others 2000. some think grad 2 is flat. others start noticing wind only above 4 bfrt. Some think camping gear of 10 is light. some weight 65 kg others double that. All those things are more or less basic stuff i need to know before i can give some advice.

in short :
    there are some plastic/royalex solobaots you can have a look at.
    plastic oldtown next or 119 or hou 13
    ryoalex/tformex is a longer list but harder to find new or secondhand. Old town packis secondhand an option so it seems

Then there are some uk builders taht can make you something (solway dory/apache /mega) in compostise of various weight/lay up and price

The most expensive optins are the ones build abroad , wenonahs are the easiest option. more obscure things like swift/grbnewmann can be done. and really light.

last option (not sure it they are sold in the uk is an sportspal: alloy. not expensive and light.
    Propper writing in English. How do you do that? with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language.
    Sorry for all the mistakes.

Thanks for all the replies. This being my first post, I wasn't expecting so many replies so quickly. I have emailed Apache and Mel has come back to me already, with a really decent price on a built-to-order 12'. I have a limited budget so this suits me down to the ground. I'll let you know how I get on.

Tom

Weight- something 25kg or under
    Cost- Due to just purchasing the 15' (and all the gear to go with it), budget is 700 MAX
    Gear- Would want to carry no more than 20-25kg of gear with me, often much less

99% of the time, the canoe would be used on The Nene, which is VERY flat.

When I am off at weekends, it will be a case of using the 15' , chucking the kids and wife in and off we go. The solo canoe is for days like today when I am sitting at home twiddling my fingers because the 15' is too big (ie too heavy) to top on my own.

I bought a Pack as my first canoe in February this year. The fourth time out I conquered the tracking.
    I have just purchased a 15 footer for both tandem and solo use,it is 21ish kilos so quite manageable.
    Hoewever, originally, I expected I would sell the Pack but because it is such an easy boat to deal with,
    on and off the car/water, I can't see it happening somehow.
    A well sourced, 15kg, Pack could be seen as an investment. I know they're not for everyone.
    Last edited by Moomoo; 8th-September-2017 at 08:13 AM.

Yes, a Pack or Hou 13 look to be the ones to suit my needs (and budget). I'll keep my eye out for one being sold within a 100 mile radius of Corby. The one on sale in Exeter looks a beaut, just a bit too far to travel.

21 KG for a 15' sounds really light. My 16' is around 33kg!

Yes, a Pack or Hou 13 look to be the ones to suit my needs (and budget). I'll keep my eye out for one being sold within a 100 mile radius of Corby. The one on sale in Exeter looks a beaut, just a bit too far to travel.

21 KG for a 15' sounds really light. My 16' is around 33kg

21 kg was the reason for the purchase.
    A Nova Craft Bob Special in Tuff Stuff, nice thing.
    It is about my lift limit these days.
    An extra thwart to balance the lift added.

The Pack really is a doddle.

I bought a pack recently, to keep on the roof of my car whilst travelling for work, I have to say been very impressed with it. I'm 15 stone with my gear on and I sit about 4 inches higher than the gunnel on a saddle but actually it feels fine when paddling, it is a bit tippy for big people, and needs correction to keep it on line but its a delight to handle off the water. I've taken the seat out, put in a carrying yoke and wedged my saddle under it, this has solved one of the other undesirable traits of the pack, the oil canning or flexing of the lightweight royalex hull.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Hi Tom,

Have you looked at an Argosy by Wenonah lighter than most kayaks at around 21kgs, a fast little boat at 14'6" I really enjoy mine but keep being told I have too many boats! (I'm sure that's not possible). It's well used but at 575 in royalex (green) an absolute bargain.

Kevin

Kevin where are you ? I may be interested in your argosy

Based in Essex, but the W/W (WetWeather) season is just starting, so have a few trips in mind
    I don't want to hi-jack this thread so send me a pm. If Tom is not interested I will be in touch.

Complete outside suggestion, but as you already have the Hou, how about a wooden home/course made one?

I've a 12.6ft stitch and glue made on a 3 day course at birchcanoes ~20-21kg.

Great fun to make, and great fun to paddle - and wooden canoes (even ply-based ones) seem to garner more genuine interest and curiosity from peeps.

Not the cheapest option, and not a white water boat, but a pretty unique experience.