Thread: Handmade Bushcraft style knife.

Default Handmade Bushcraft style knife.

My son is an amateur knife maker with the emphasis on amateur. He has had no training but has studied the craft on-line. He has made himself a home forge from firebricks and a gas cylinder and I have financed his grinders, sanders, pillar drill, etc, etc, etc. He is making lots of different pattern knives but particularly loves the Japanese style stuff, though not exclusively.
    Anyway, he does bring out a "normal" style occasionally. This is his interpretation of a bushcraft knife.
    Blade is 01 carbon steel (the proper stuff). hardened to skate a file then tempered for 1 hour at 205 DegC.
    Handle is Indian Rosewood.
    Overall length is 8".
    Blade length is 4". Blade thickness is 4mm.
    No sheath.
    Anyone wanting a particular style of knife just has to PM me and I'll see what Dan says.
    This bushcraft knife is a steal at 45 plus P&P. PM me if interested.

bushcraft1
    Last edited by meirion; 21st-August-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Looks okay but you really need info on thickness of blade, tempering etc too?

good luck with it.

Steve

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

Thanks Steve, will update the original post.

Sorry, I'm not in the market for such a knife. But I think your son deserves all credit for teaching himself the skills to keep alive the art of knife making. Good luck to him.

Best regards,
    Nick

Thanks Nick, his skills are improving all the time as he is a bit of a perfectionist. He just presented me with his latest creation and it is a beauty. I will treasure it

As a collector ( and user) of knives, I can appreciate the work that goes into a knife, it looks good, does he also do leatherwork to make a sheaf, I would certainly be interested in buying one,

Hi David,
    Dan doesn't do leatherwork but will do kydex if required. Give me a shout if it's of any interest. Also let me know if you are interested in any other pattern blades. I can easily post pics of the other stuff that we have, tantos and allsorts!

Looks a treat. He's done well.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

This one is not for sale because I've already bought it as a wedding present for a friend who is a chef. It's a chef's knife made in Damascus steel. Lovely.

PM me if you have a knife pattern you want and I'll ask Dan if he'll do one.