Thread: Anyone fancy the middle Derwent

Default Anyone fancy the middle Derwent

So it feels like ages since we've had a C.R.A.P paddle. Anyone up for the middle Derwent in the not too distant future?
    Sadly for me dates are looking busy so unless people can do week days how does the 2nd September look?

I'd advise anyone going on moving water to have suitable buoyancy aid, air bags and a helmet.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Maybe this needs moving to the trips and social section?

Happy to join you if I'm about. Caveat that Mrs stinkwheel has a long weekend too and might want to be away somewhere.

It's also local enough to me that I can fit this in as a spur of the moment thing. I was down there last week after work.

If there's enough water, why not make it a bash along both the upper and mid Derwent via Derwent Water (there is currently plenty of water). The mid Derwent only takes an hour and that's only if you mess about a bit.

Couple of points in any case. They have done something to the level weir at Portinscale (and the level gauge is offline and has been since March). There is now slightly more of a pronounced drop with three distinct waves downstream and a stopper wave forming in the centre. All to the better to be fair, I try to avoid the stopper in my pack canoe because I'd get wet but anything else will plough on through. Looks surfable. If you're concerned, keep left.

There is now a padlock on the gate at the lane leading up from the canoe platform at the take-out on the mid Derwent so it's a definate carry/trolley out. There are no-parking signs in the forestry layby stating ongoing forestry operations but they've been there for 6 months or more. I've just taken to parking there and tucking well in, no evidence of heavy wagon traffic. There is also a traffic light controlled contra-flow at the top of the take-out lane because United Utilities are doing water pipe works in the adjacent field (I suspect this is the reason for the padlock). In fairness, this makes getting across the road with a canoe much easier.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Cheers for the heads up. Starting above Derwent sounds good. Moving the thread is probably a good idea too... Mods if you could?

Shame about the carry out but I suspect too many people drove down

I would be interested but im on a weekly rota so wouldnt know till nearer the time.
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

I could be up for that - back from jolly holidays just before - I'll keep my eye on the thread!

As an alternative (and dependent on levels) does anyone fancy the Eamont before it closes for the salmon breeding? Mad a start last year but only got half way due to an absence of water!
    Andy,
    (Cumbria)

Sounds like a good option. When did you have in mind. I was starting to worry you'd gone AWOL. Text you the other week about the Eden

I've just had an invite to a friends 50th birthday on the 2nd and I've not seen her for a long time so I'll be going to that.

Keep me in the loop with other dates.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Right apologise for going quiet on this but other things came up and all was quiet re interested people. I'm going to try a WhatsApp group instead to possibly be a little more spontaneous. If anyone wants adding pm me for a link.