Thread: Thames lock toilet key

Default Thames lock toilet key

Does anyone know how one goes about purchasing one of the keys for the toilets at the locks along the River Thames?

I've had a look online and it seems to be random people selling keys or old out of date links to canal websites etc?

you might want to check with the Environment Agency to make sure they use the same key as the Canal & River Trust (previously British Waterways), but their key is available here for 7 + 2.95 p&p:

https://shop.canalrivertrust.org.uk/shop

it's a standard Yale key, so any old muggins can cut them & flog it online

Impossible to get hold of anyone :| we are off paddling on Friday and really would like to have the toilet key as an option as its a 3 day paddle. I cannot seem to find this key online at all!

When there are toilets at locks they are generally open during the day. I've never encountered a locked one except at night. If it is locked you ask the lock keeper (if there is one on duty.) If you camp at a lock toilets are left open or you will be lent the key.

I'm sure they do not use the same lock as the Canal and River trust. They're not even the same from lock to lock... some are Yale type, others are mortice locks.

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a Thames toilet key. As others have said there's a CRT/BW key, but I've never heard of one on the Thames.

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

I can confirm there is no key available to the general public to open facilities on the Thames. The lock keeper opens them when on duty. You can buy a key for facilities on other Environment Agency rivers, such as the Nene, where there aren't lock keepers.
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig