Thread: Journey mapping software

Default Journey mapping software

What mapping tools/software does everyone use to plot routes?

Google Maps seems ok but its a bit tedious dropping the little pointer down along an entire route to try and gauge the distance etc, are there any better alternatives?

I use Wheresthepath3 and then import the gpx files into Locus Pro on my phone.

I use either Endomondo or Runkeeper on Android - looks weird on the splits & timings but tends to record the distance and route fairly well.
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiP View Post
    I use either Endomondo or Runkeeper on Android - looks weird on the splits & timings but tends to record the distance and route fairly well.
    Think you've misunderstood maxi. Or I have. He's on about plotting routes not tracking them. I use endomondo to track routes

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I use GoogleEarth (the installed app); you have to click points along the route but it's pretty easy and quick (easy to correct and delete out bad points).

Ian

+1 for Google Earth

you can save the plotted route as kml/kmz & then load it onto your mobile device (Android phone with OruxMaps for me) to take with you

I use Strava to record on phone, and export from desktop to Google MyMaps. I've a camera that GPS locates photos which are simple to upload en-masse from Google Photos and then import as a 'layer' onto the map.

Very quick to end up with something like https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1bxD4ViGPXi2BhWQpEdOu5ZcoLDU&ll=52.792563 154910255%2C-2.0065160000000333&z=14

My wife pointed this out to me ... https://gb.mapometer.com/ ... I find it works pretty well ... after the event my GPS tracker also works pretty well, if I've remembered to turn it on at the start that is
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

I use Viewranger http://www.viewranger.com/en-gb to track my trips as well as plan my routes too. It's available on iOS and android, but it can also be used on a pc or mac by logging into their website. I find it easier to plot routes on the website then sync them to my phone. You can also sync your recorded tracks back up to the website for easier viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy 90 View Post
    I use Wheresthepath3 and then import the gpx files into Locus Pro on my phone.
    I'll have to try out Wheresthepath3 as we use Locus Pro for geocaching. Locus is an excellent app with a handy widget for track recording.

Cheers everyone some good info here.

Just out of curiosity ignoring mobiles due to battery life, do any of you use dedicated GPS units for canoeing? If so which ones/got any recommendations on a decent priced one?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander2010 View Post
    .....Just out of curiosity ignoring mobiles due to battery life....
    I would not reject mobiles for battery life; they are not always as bad as people make out. A lot depends on device, software configuration and environment.

I use my iPhone to record a lot of tracks both kayaking and cycling. I find a 30+ mile (2-3 hr) cycle ride might get through 20% of the battery. However, a lot of that is other battery consumption from other things I leave going on the phone (e-mail, push notifications, podcast syncing, etc.) and the biggest impact is GSM coverage - when in poor coverage battery life plummets (my 2-3hr cycle rides using 20% are in pretty bad GSM coverage). Switch into airplane mode, get some decent software and you can get a lot lot more out of a phone than many think.

Another consideration when using a phone is the application. everybody has their favourite apps (I love MapOut, only for iPhone/iPad) but using vector mapping makes a massive difference. Means you can download large map coverage using a lot less storage and can then zoom in to incredibly find detail. Apps with raster mapping take loads of storage space even at limited resolution/zoom levels.

Other consideration is screen use. Smartphones do fall down a bit if you need the screen left on a lot.

Ian

Thats fair enough however my mobile phone isn't an option, The battery life is appalling and struggles to make it through the day just checking emails with work so a GPS facility isn't going to happen + I don't like the idea of having my phone out in the boat etc, would prefer a waterproof/water resistant GPS unit or something dedicated for that purpose.

I don't use the screen much when I'm out in the boat & I find I rarely paddle up the bank & out of the river

A few months ago I checked out the prices of buying a dedicated handheld GPS and keeping my previous phone vs buying a good smartphone. A dedicated GPS with all the features of a phone would cost too much.

aannddyyhh - I loved your comment!

The U.K. is blessed with beautiful O.S. maps, on a variety of scales. Stepping off distances on a map with a pair of cheap compasses, or even the edge of any old piece of paper, used to be easy.

Forget the screens, enjoy the paddle - it's supposed to be a little adventurous.

Nick

I use a garmin foretrex. In fairtness, in the boat it's more for recording where I've been but you can add waypoints, record waypoints (so say you do a portage, you can log the take out/put in point for the way back. Or mark where you left the tent/van). It also gives me a heading and speed over ground.

What it doesn't do is give you a map. It'll put a line on the screen for you to follow if you've uploaded a route to it and it'll direct you along a route with arrows on the screen. Any waypoints you've added will be shown on the screen in their correct position.

Not an issue on rivers, you aren't going to get lost, but you could mark significant features before you leave which would then come up as you approach them.

The garmin software isn't all that useful. It's been changed to be more suited to sports watches. It's good for recording where you've been but you need to manually upload the data to it.

I use it with viking which is a GPS software tool. Free to download. You need to fiddle a little to get anything useful out of it (when you open it, add a map layer, change the map to mapnik and click the auto download boxes). It also supports bing aerial views. Once you have the hang of it, you can draw routes, view recorded tracks, mark/name waypoints and export it all as a .gpx file which can be dumped into the GPS directly.

For fitness purposes, it also supports a heart rate monitor.

I get this kind of thing off garmin connect. Makes a quick and easy paddling log and I find it quite interesting.

"I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."