Thread: Advice on paddling north norfolk/Blakeney point

Default Advice on paddling north norfolk/Blakeney point

Hi,
    I'm wanting to take the kids out for a paddle and an overnight camp probably Tuesday-Wednesday this week. Norfolk is not too far away from us (we're Cambridge based) and my son has expressed an interest in Blakeney Point.

Two questions:

1. Paddling. Can anyone advise on good/best put-in places for paddling out to Blakeney Point. We'll be in kayaks, a big Klepper Aerius II and a small single, which my son will paddle. A bit of exploring with google maps suggests Freshes Creek, Morston Quay and Blakeney as possible places to park and put in. Happy to receive advice on pros and cons of these and any other possibilities. (Times before High water to be there for the put in, and last time; is this time of year going to be very crowded?)

If we manage a second paddle on the Wednesday, where would you recommend? Is Wells next the Sea nice?

2. Camping. My son has suggested High Sand Creek by Stiffkey on the back of an article he read in the newspaper. Anyone been there? Any comments? Will it be really crowded at this time of year? I tend to prefer camping without crowds & wild camping over organised sites, but as long as we can find a quiet corner of the campsite I expect I won't mind having facilities to wash up and suchlike ;-). If there are better places we could try, including recommendations for good wild camp spots, I'd be happy to hear suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    All the best,
    Ian

Hi Ian,

Hope all well?

I know Bootstrap Bob has paddled here, here's his blog: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-Point-Norfolk. He used Morston Quay.

Cheers

Mal
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks, Mal. That's very helpful.
    All well here. Am looking forward to a couple of days off. I hear you've been a-travelling. Are you all back home now, or has the wanderlust got a serious hold on you?
    Hope to see you out on a paddle sometime soon.
    All the best,
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by idc View Post
    Thanks, Mal. That's very helpful.
    All well here. Am looking forward to a couple of days off. I hear you've been a-travelling. Are you all back home now, or has the wanderlust got a serious hold on you?
    Hope to see you out on a paddle sometime soon.
    All the best,
    Ian
    Back home, though wanderlust has definitely taken a bit of a hold...spent 6 out of last 10 weeks away from these shores...and all the other weekends under canvas. Sadly it can't last forever but only home for 2 nights before the next, East Midlands Based chapter of my travels. Doesn't have the same ring as the Gorges du Tarn, or Rogen to Roros (blog still to come...), but I'm fully expecting to have a great time!

The Ally folder came through with flying colours in Sweden/Norway, in some mega-tough country.

So, remind me, those rivers of Georgia...?

I'll have to track down the blogs. As for Georgia, there is now a direct flight from Luton at remarkably cheap prices (partly because it flies to the second city, Kutaisi, instead of Tbilisi--but that would be to one's advantage if planning to canoe the Phasis in ancient Colchis, Land of the Golden Fleece and Jason and the Argonauts). It could be quite an adventure ... ;-)
    Whereabouts in the East Midlands? You're not ditching on the Nene are you? (Probably very weed-choked by this time of year.)
    I'll report on how we get on with Blakeney point. The weather is looking good in any case.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by idc View Post
    I'll have to track down the blogs. As for Georgia, there is now a direct flight from Luton at remarkably cheap prices (partly because it flies to the second city, Kutaisi, instead of Tbilisi--but that would be to one's advantage if planning to canoe the Phasis in ancient Colchis, Land of the Golden Fleece and Jason and the Argonauts). It could be quite an adventure ... ;-)
    Whereabouts in the East Midlands? You're not ditching on the Nene are you? (Probably very weed-choked by this time of year.)
    I'll report on how we get on with Blakeney point. The weather is looking good in any case.
    Ian
    WIll have to hit Google Earth and have a look!

E. Mids is the "Biggish Meet" thing on the Soar, combined with a visit to my parents and therefore a possible Idle or canal trip too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    WIll have to hit Google Earth and have a look!
    The way I do it with Google Earth (the app) is to click on the "Measure" tool (vertical ruler in the toolbar). That shows a dialog which by default is on "Line" which only measures a straight line between two points. Change to "Path" and then each click on the map/image adds a next point to the path. You can still zoom in and out and if you press and hold and drag the mouse you can move the map/image around without adding a point.

Ian

I've done a couple of trips between Blakeney and Morston, through the creeks one way and round near the Blakeney Channel to the north the other way. I think others have warned of the risks around the more open water following the blog, and I haven't been right out to the spit by canoe myself.

The car park at Morston is good for access to the water and it's possible to get in there at lowish tide across gravelly mud (or muddy gravel) without too much trouble. The car park charges but there are toilets. The flow through the channel can be quite fast but can be paddled against if necessary, from what I remember. Perhaps it's best to set off an hour or two before low water though to avoid that.

Launching at Blakeney is also easy enough but there is further to go. I haven't been up Freshes Creek. I expect both places will be very busy.

I prefer a trip near Wells. Launching from the beach around 2-3 hours before HW, go with the flow down towards the town. Go round the creeks right past the town and then another 400 m or so, and then head north towards East Fleet (all names are from the 1:25,000 OS map on Bing maps). Head east and come out onto the sea to the east of Lodge Marsh, and then you can paddle across the sands in shallow water around high tide back to your start point. One of my favourite trips. Out on the sea you're sheltered from breaking waves by an offshore bar and the water is shallow over a flat sand beach. Mind you don't leave it too late and miss high water though because the sea retreats about 1 km and it would be a long walk round with two boats to drag or carry.

I think it would be possible to wild camp on the island there between Lodge Marsh and Bob Hall's Sands. There might be other people around there at night though in the summer holidays, given how close it is to Wells Beach (although it's not possible to walk to it). I haven't been to the Stiffkey site but I camp at Rectory Hill, Cley, which is usually fairly quiet. The owner relaxes the rule about Camping and Caravan Club membership for your first stay.