Thread: Bala with Holly

Default Bala with Holly

My eldest daughter, Holly, is home for a week from Kualar Lumpur, Malasia, where she is an English teacher. We haven't seen her since Christmas so time is at a premium. Holly really wanted to come out with us for a paddle so the weather forecast was consulted and I decided that Saturday looked best at Bala. Weather forecast, my backside!!!!!!!!!! We set out from home in glorious sunshine then the dark clouds appeared ahead and the rain started to hit the car windscreen with a vengeance. The rain stopped as we arrived in Bala and I thought all was well. On pulling into the main shore carpark there was a sharp intake of breath on my part as the lake looked very similar to a rough seascape

I think I was the only one in the car with a sense of self preservation because both Sian and Holly stated that they were excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    These were without doubt the worst conditions we have ever paddled in so the boat was kept as close to shore as I could keep it, leaving a margin for wind influenced course changes.
    There was absolutely no chance of taking copious pics as we bounced through the waves throwing spray up on both sides so we headed for a sheltered bay to have our lunchtime picnic. Had to get a piccie of Holly looking all canoeist-like so the only pic for this very poor blog is this:

balawithholly

Holly really enjoyed the trip, as did Sian and myself. The extra weight of a third person placed forward of the centre gave a good trim into the gale and we made decent progress considering. After lunch the paddle back to the main shore carpark was like a speedboat ride. You could have ski'd behind us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a proper blog really but I couldn't resist going public with our first paddle with our eldest

Nice one Meirion, a blog it certainly is: of your mini-open-water-adventure
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Lovely boat
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Lovely boat
    Not that you're at all biased eh Old Man

Thanks for comments both.

Fair play for making the most of the bad weather, and for following OLD MAN's example and using younger relatives for ballast and trim...

Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    using younger relatives for ballast and trim...
    ...........and daughter-in-law for clearing ditches

Nice blog btw!

A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus