Thread: Plywood Canoe and wild water

Default Plywood Canoe and wild water

I'm intending to build a plywood Canoe.
    Is there anyone here who has also build one? And has some experience on wild water and rapids? Can it hold it or would a plywood Canoe to weak for it?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-X210 met Tapatalk

Depends on what you mean by "wild water and rapids".

In the UK the vast majority of white water is rock strewn stuff where inexperienced people bounce from one rock to the next under little or no control. A few of our bigger rivers have sufficient water that the boat does not hit rock.

Plywood is fine if you're not crashing into rocks - if however you are going to beat up the rocks then plastic may be a better bet.
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Tougher than most people think, especially when fibreglass sheathed inside and out. Would still break if you hit a rock hard.

I'd say they can be as strong as a fibreglass canoe if built intelligently.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Quote Originally Posted by stinkwheel View Post

Tougher than most people think, especially when fibreglass sheathed inside and out. Would still break if you hit a rock hard.

I'd say they can be as strong as a fibreglass canoe if built intelligently.
    This short movie is exactly what I ment. Thanks.

I built a Selway Fisher Prospector two years ago, sheathed inside and out with glass and resin. I have had to do some repairs since. Biggest mistake I made is using cheap plywood. Use the best you can afford. There are also some things they won't stand. I did the Not the guide dog paddle earlier this year and ran my canoe up on a rock. In trying to shuffle the canoe forward I came to a point where the rock was exactly on the centre line with my weight (18 stone) through my knees on either side. The rock pushed the ply one way and my weight the other with the result that the seam split for about a foot. I continued paddling, didn't have much choice really, and got really wet knees as the boat leaked. Boat has since been repaired and paddled again. Otherwise it has been pretty good and has stood up to handling and portage, dragging over fields, up and down concrete canal banks etc. with no problems. When I eventually get round to building another I shall use better quality plywood, and consider some stiffening down the centre line to prevent the flat bottom areas flexing to the point of failure.

Calefactio orbis? Culus meus!!

"Fragile" boats have been taken down rivers that defy reason https://nmmc.co.uk/object/boats/everest-kayak/

So with the in mind, in the rights hands a well designed and well made plywood constructed boat can go on "Wild Water" ....
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

I will use okoume plywood