Thread: Aberdeen - Best place for beginners

1. Cool Aberdeen - Best place for beginners

Good Afternoon

Myself and a friend are looking for somewhere to take out first day trip that is suitable for beginners. I live in Aberdeen and we are looking for somewhere that isnít more than an hour and half drive away. We have been considering The River Dee and would appreciate any advice on good locations on the Dee or elsewhere. Someone suggested Portarch to Banchory however they havnt paddled it for about 10 years so some more up to date advice would be welcome.

Thank you

Potatch to Banchory has some grade 2/3 whitewater sections which would be challenging if you are beginners.
    I haven't paddled anything downstream of Banchory but I think those sections will be more suitable for beginners. Upstream of Potarch is a bit easier but there are still a few rapids which could catch you unawares.
    Loch of Skene might be an option for a first paddle, but I'm not sure what the access arrangements are. There might be info on this site somewhere if you do a search.

3. Default

Thanks for the reply we’ve decided to try the river Dee further down stream The current plan is putting in around Drumoak and getting out just after Brig o’ Dee. Not sure where we can access the river near Drumoak though so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't know that stretch, but if it's a no go the SCA touring guide says there's access at the Durris bridge near Crashes.
    Bear in mind that there's a new road crossing being build at the moment for Aberdeen Bypass. I don't know whether or not it's possible to paddle through the construction site. I've asked the question for a trip later in the year but I'm waiting for an answer. Will post here when I hear. (Unless any other Aberdeenshire based paddlers can answer?)

5. Default

Thanks Paul. I'm Ron's friend who'll be doing the trip with him. I've contacted the local council, see if they can advise regards the bridge and river access.

I contacted Aberdeen city council and have just had a reply. The contractor says passage along the river is not affected, but the banksman may ask people to wait if lifting operations are underway.

Hi RonSwanson, I'm based near the Don and can recommend the stretch from Monymusk to Inverurie or Kintore. I first did it in a rented boat with little experience. I also like Loch Kinord for open water. There is easy access from the road north from Dinnet. Burn 'o Vat visitor centre has a useful leaflet about using the loch. I'm away from home at the moment so can't give you grid references. PM me if you want more information.
    Mike

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
    I don't know that stretch, but if it's a no go the SCA touring guide says there's access at the Durris bridge near Crashes.
    Bear in mind that there's a new road crossing being build at the moment for Aberdeen Bypass. I don't know whether or not it's possible to paddle through the construction site. I've asked the question for a trip later in the year but I'm waiting for an answer. Will post here when I hear. (Unless any other Aberdeenshire based paddlers can answer?)
    Thanks for looking that up for us Paul.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bananaboat View Post
    Hi RonSwanson, I'm based near the Don and can recommend the stretch from Monymusk to Inverurie or Kintore. I first did it in a rented boat with little experience. I also like Loch Kinord for open water. There is easy access from the road north from Dinnet. Burn 'o Vat visitor centre has a useful leaflet about using the loch. I'm away from home at the moment so can't give you grid references. PM me if you want more information.
    Mike
    Thanks for the advice Mike. I'm sending you a PM

Hi

I've just started this summer. The Ythan at Ellon is quite a nice, quiet paddle. Suggest trying to time high tides though as it can be a little bit shallow in places. I try to go just as high tide is coming in, leaving from Ellon and make my way to the bridge at Kirkton of Logie. If it is high tide you can go into the estuary a bit, but be careful there. Then on your way back you go with the tide and you can just have an easy paddle of it back to Ellon. Easy to launch from Ellon as well. Free parking nearby. Magic Seawee Newburgh high tide for times.

I did attempt paddling from Methlick to Ellon but the water was a bit low and abandoned the attempt at Ythan bank. I was poling more than paddling. I will be trying that again, in the near future and will let you know how it goes.