Thread: River Avon between Evesham & Tewkesbury

Default River Avon between Evesham & Tewkesbury

Have paddled there and backs Eckington/Strensham Lock and Eckington/Pershore, and also a bit above Stratford/Alveston weir.

Looking to fill in a couple of gaps with gentle paddles and wanting some feedback on access points and put ins.

Google maps shows good parking area at end of Fleet Lane (opp. Twyning) for the bit between Tewkesbury and Strensham and Jubilee bridge for sections up and down stream.

Anyone know of any problems with these localities and lock portages between Pershore and Evesham?

The hardest lock portages I've come across are at Pershore itself and at Strensham. At Pershore, there is now what I have heard described as a canoe shoot/chute at the end of a recently built lagoon off the river (left) just before the weir. It feeds a hydro-electric station that powers the leisure centre on the opposite bank. I have looked at the shoot'chute, but wouldn't want to go down it in a canoe! Lining may be a possibility. At Strensham, I paddled past the lock entrance to a set of steps on the lock island (left again), from which it is a short carry to an interesting re-entry just below the lock gates. There may be a better way down at one of the two weirs, but I have not ventured that far down.

Between Evesham and Pershore there are no problems with portaging the weirs at Chadbuiry, Fladbury and Wyre Piddle. Chadbury and Fladbury are both runnable, at the right levels.

If you need a shuttle sorted while you are down here, drop me a line and I'll see if I can help.
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

Great, thanks for that and the offer for shuttle.

I'm planning on being very flexible depending on how I feel each day so it's there and backs as long or short as I can manage.