Thread: River Nene acess/egress near Dichford lock

Default River Nene acess/egress near Dichford lock

Hi

We are staying in Naseby for a few days and considering paddling the Nene. Looking for advice on access egress points that we can carry to and from the car with our heavy 17ft prospector SP3 as portage trolley was left at home.

Any advice on weir's and other dangerous to avoid would be helpful as be maybe paddling with children as well.

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There's a little marina at Ditchford locks, if you pay 3 the nice owner will let you park there all day, think they have a cafe too. I drove right up to the portage platform when I went to unload, then parked further away in the field. Just go up to the office cabin and say hello.
    Can go in either side of the lock so up or downstream is an option. Not been upstream, Downstream is nice, but you will get some traffic noise from the dual carriageway. The Nene is pretty easy for paddling against the slow flow. There is another lock just over a mile downstream, nothing really to worry about in terms of weirs.
    Little bit further away, but also further away from civilisation is Thorpe Waterville near Thrapston. My favorite regular haunt, expect kingfishers, and lots of buzzards and red kites. Again, a nice safe stretch of river, very good parking in a gateway next to the river bridge and easy launching. I usually head upstream to the lock, then turn around and go downstream to the next lock before heading back to the car. Takes me 3 or 4 hours with some messing about and exploring up harpers Brook.

Quote Originally Posted by pptom View Post
    Little bit further away, but also further away from civilisation is Thorpe Waterville near Thrapston.

... Takes me 3 or 4 hours with some messing about and exploring up harpers Brook.

Thanks

Is this where you would suggest launching from in Thorpe Waterville

Is there entrance to Harpers Brook obvious? Planning to have a look there tomorrow morning

Thanks

Ewan

That's it, parking to the left of the Car, launch on the rhs of the picture.
    Harpers Brook is easy to find, on the left, just past the friends of the river Nene mooring. Gets a bit shallow and quicker for a hundred metre stretch, but if you get past this it's superb, plus its nice shooting back down it.

Is ir worth trying to pole up Harpers brook?

Maybe, it's only a short stretch where it's shallow. Probably worth taking one.

Thanks looking forward to exploring tomorrow.

Ewan

Thanks for the advice managed to get out today

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=53927

Ewan