Thread: Bitten to death !!

Default Bitten to death !!

Having recently been able to get near Ellesmere port, I decided to give the Shropshire union to Chester a go. I parked up and took a look at the canal, which to be honest didn't look brilliant.... Well it looked disgusting!!
    Then again I was there so got kitted up and started to head towards Chester, some 5 miles away. The weather was fantastic but this brought its own problems...
    The canal was full of weed and had a green scum on the surface, it looked as no boats had been up or down it for weeks, got bitten to death by horse fly and various others. The water didn't get any better until I was a mile or so from Chester. I stopped just the other side off the junction where the canal meets the river Dee, this area is very pleasant with lots going on. I took an hour's break and decided to head back. Throughout the whole journey I only saw 3 boats on the move, so obviously not a well used stretch of canal.
    Overall this wasn't one of my most enjoyable, it's a good route but the canal does need a lot of TLC.....has anyone any advice as to fly/ insect repellent, which is the best to by etc..

All part of the adventure!! Also, our first blog from beyond the grave, if the title is anything to go by

FInding Smidge quite good, but not tried it against horseflies, just mozzies and midges. DEET stuff works, its just a bit horrible.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Still finding garlic tablets good. Had a few bites this year but still not many compared to what I used to get. Had none at all last year.

If I'm really expecting bites I'll use jungle formula or Avon skin so soft to top up

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Personally I use the Jungle Formula. I have tried the Skin so soft stuff and it was not overly effective, I still got bitten, not so much as without it but still bitten. Just be careful of the Jungle Formula near eyes, or plastics as the amount of DEET in it will melt some of them.

Calefactio orbis? Culus meus!!

Not sure about horseflies but for the midge I agree that overall Smidge is the best; it works, is pleasant smelling and nice to put on... having said that I personally prefer Wilma's Nordic summer which is so effective it even works at repelling wives and sweethearts (may they never meet!).... having said that I have grown to quite like its distinctive pine tar scent and even my wife has come round to it.

The downside to Wilma's is that it can melt in the tin if left in direct sunlight (repelling insects from all your gear for eternity!), the tin is fiddly to open which isn't good if you are being plagued by midges (although I note they have developed a new twisting lid tin), the smell isn't for everyone... it is however all natural ingredients. I also suspect (but do not know) that it would work at repelling a greater variety of critters (Smidge is specifically formulated for midges).

Smidge doesn't have the drawbacks of Wilma's but I'm a sucker for tradition (if it works).

The basic Avon Skin So Soft really is not so very great. Tests have suggested that whilst there is a layer of the cream on your skin, bugs will not bite. But rub it in and they will.

Avon have never marketed the basic product as an insect repellent since they have not tested it to perform such a function. They have however now ventured into the market and produce Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus IR3535 Expedition which has a repellent active ingredient.

I have taken to using Smidge which has the same active ingredient as Autan (you need to do a deal of research to establish this)

I usually find citronella quite effective but after a particularly midge-ridden weekend at the Treweryn a few weeks ago have gone back to barrier methods and invested in a bug suit for when things are really bad...

Horseflies are a different beast to midges, bane of my childhood in a peaty bit of England. Nothing that isn't a proper deet-y repellent even slows them down.

The Ellesmere Port end of the shroppie sees very little narrowboat traffic as it doesn't go anywhere particularly attractive, and because of the big Chester staircase locks, is a bit of a faff to access, so most boats wind in the middle of Chester and never finish that leg. It is a bit weird mooring near the zoo- some very non English countryside noises when the local start waking up in the morning

A heads up so you can make an informed decision about what you buy and therefore which companies you support. Smidge's active ingredient Saltidin, also known as Picaridin and Icaridin, is produced by Bayer - the same company who produce the neonicotinoids that are killing off bees. I'm sticking with Nordic Summer and Avon Skin So Soft for now and trialing Rose Geranium essential oil.

Bayer's first and best known product was aspirin. Bayer also introduced phenobarbital, prontosil, the first widely used antibiotic and the subject of the 1939 Nobel Prize in Medicine, the antibiotic Cipro (ciprofloxacin), and Yaz (drospirenone) birth control pills.

Avon also make a Skin-so-soft Bug Guard Plus Picaridin

I understand the product is now made by Lanxess who have been spun off from Bayer.

No disrespect to bees of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    Bayer's first and best known product was aspirin. Bayer also introduced phenobarbital, prontosil, the first widely used antibiotic and the subject of the 1939 Nobel Prize in Medicine, the antibiotic Cipro (ciprofloxacin), and Yaz (drospirenone) birth control pills.

Avon also make a Skin-so-soft Bug Guard Plus Picaridin

I understand the product is now made by Lanxess who have been spun off from Bayer.

No disrespect to bees of course.
    Thanks for that info - I may use it after all but I'll look at the ethics of the company.
    Last edited by ictoaun; 18th-July-2017 at 05:38 PM.

i wear a hat

Quote Originally Posted by jonah aka View Post
    i wear a hat
    Sensible! I also have a bug net in my daypack/first aid kit which is really the most simple and best way of protecting oneself.... Obvious really!