Thread: Island for sale - any wishful thinkers among us?

Default Island for sale - any wishful thinkers among us?

Anyone want to buy a Scottish island...?

https://www.galbraithgroup.com/prope...bright-dg6-4tr
    Not in Oxford any more...

You should have first dibs Mary, its just down the road from you, relatively! Crow as back up, so he can circumnavigate it landing as often as he likes.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I would actually buy that. Seriously. But there's not a single tree!! Don't they grow there (even short ones, like in our North) ?? Or did you lot chop 'em all own???

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maryinoxford View Post
    Anyone want to buy a Scottish island...?

https://www.galbraithgroup.com/prope...bright-dg6-4tr
    I would love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    You should have first dibs Mary, its just down the road from you, relatively! Crow as back up, so he can circumnavigate it landing as often as he likes.
    I can do that anywhere, any time, on any Scottish island, thanks to the Land Reform Act (2003).

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    I would actually buy that. Seriously. But there's not a single tree!! Don't they grow there (even short ones, like in our North) ?? Or did you lot chop 'em all own???
    No, but our ancestors did (or their lords and masters did). And sheep kept them that way.

Have you never been to the Highlands, sk8r?

"I stepped up on the platform. The man gave me the news. He said - you must be joking, son, where did you get those shoes?"

Crow Trip Log

(Crow posted while I was typing this.)

Any trees were probably cut down for firewood long ago. Maybe grazing animals stopped regrowth? Trees are scarce in the Outer Hebrides, which I believe is because they are so windswept, but this island shouldn't be as exposed as that. I'm sure it could be replanted with native species to make a nice little nature reserve.

I've just looked at the Ordnance Survey map. Just off the island on the seaward side is marked in red "Danger Area." (I.e. used for military exercises.) Funny the selling agent didn't mention that...

Thanks for the thought, Mal, but I'd have to be too reliant on boatmen from Kirkcudbright to chauffeur me. Presumably if I could afford the island, I could afford a boat, but I don't have the skill for the trip.

I've just sold my house. That looks cheap... what does a helicopter cost? Can't be more than 50k? Mrs Duck Feet would be delighted... not.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

Odd, I've stopped there and thought it had a causeway but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Sk8r - probably not a lot of soil on Little Ross for trees, there are some nice plantations not too far inland from there, but a little to the west they filmed this:

So you are probably right about us burning them all

Ah right, just realised I have mixed up Isle of Whithorn and Little Ross Isle in my head - different trips, adjacent headlands, Whithorn has the causeway. That scene from Wicker Man was filmed somewhere around Whithorn.

How hard can it be?

I camped on Little Ross for one night. All the bramble had been cut, so I was concerned about my thermarest, it did survive!

I would love to buy it. But the other half

Well I can dream.

The nearby MoD range might be noisy neighbours!!

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Before the rush to buy perhaps this might be of interest The Ross Island Lighthouse Murder

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post

Have you never been to the Highlands, sk8r?

No. It's not really on the way to anywhere, if you see what I mean.....

Quote Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
    Before the rush to buy perhaps this might be of interest The Ross Island Lighthouse Murder
    Blimey!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    No. It's not really on the way to anywhere, if you see what I mean.....

Ah, right. I just had a vague memory of you talking about going deer stalking there one time.

No, it's most definitely on the ....

But on the other hand it is on the ....

"I stepped up on the platform. The man gave me the news. He said - you must be joking, son, where did you get those shoes?"

Crow Trip Log

We did talk about that, coz some years ago you posted some shots of red deer and I wondered if one could hunt them. Then I looked into it and saw the prices some o' these "Laird" guys charge & changed my mind...

I'd forgotten about that. It was all the talk when I worked in Kirkcubright, even though it was 12 or 13 years after the event.

Small places have little to talk about so when something like that happens it becomes popular news for years.

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Very interesting read, there are many other incidents of people being isolated and killing each other!

Imagine falling out with the better half and not having a pub to go to!

I am sure the novelty of being isolated disappears very quickly. I would love to spend a couple of weeks there just for the experience.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    I am sure the novelty of being isolated disappears very quickly. I would love to spend a couple of weeks there just for the experience.
    Yes, financially it might make more sense to do it up as a holiday home and rent it out by the week, with boat travel as part of the package.

Something puzzled me about the murder story - I was sure I had read somewhere that lighthouses (when manned) always had a crew of 3, just to avoid the situation of two people brewing a deadly quarrel. But there were apparently only two on the island at the time.

Something puzzled me about the murder story - I was sure I had read somewhere that lighthouses (when manned) always had a crew of 3, just to avoid the situation of two people brewing a deadly quarrel. But there were apparently only two on the island at the time.
    I am sure you are recalling the death of one of the keepers at the "Smalls Lighthouse", I think the death was due to illness but it makes an interesting story due to the circumstances.

https://trinityhousehistory.wordpres...ls-lighthouse/

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    I am sure you are recalling the death of one of the keepers at the "Smalls Lighthouse", I think the death was due to illness but it makes an interesting story due to the circumstances.
    Yes, thank you, that's the story I had in mind. (Although my memory was confusing it with the Flannan Isles lighthouse - a different story, which I've just re-read.) We still don't know why there were only two keepers on Ross Island.
    Last edited by maryinoxford; 17th-July-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Journal Entries

Yes, thank you, that's the story I had in mind. (Although my memory was confusing it with the Flannan Isles lighthouse - a different story, which I've just re-read.) We still don't know why there were only two keepers on Ross Island.
    Ah, the Flannan Isles mystery. We did that at school...

THOUGH three men dwell on Flannan Isle
    To keep the lamp alight,
    As we steer'd under the lee, we caught
    No glimmer through the night!

and so on...

Anyway, the Flannan Isles sounds like one of the places you might have visited on one of your Hebridean trips, Mary?

Crow Trip Log

Anyway, the Flannan Isles sounds like one of the places you might have visited on one of your Hebridean trips, Mary?
    No, not the Flannans or the Monachs, although either of those would be interesting. Trips that venture west of the Outer Hebrides usually head straight for St Kilda. I'd call it a honeypot location if the term wasn't so inappropriate to the place. That's why I ended up going there twice. The first time was because I wanted to, the second because it was simply part of the package on a cruise I wanted to do for other reasons.

Journal Entries

The Cuma seems to go to these islands now, en route to or from St. K.

Crow Trip Log

I believe that the arrangement was that rock lighthouses had three keepers and mainland ones had two. It is possible that the close proximity of Ross Island to the mainland may account for only two. Plus having some space to walk around rather than being cooped up together in a rock lighthouse with nowhere to go would be a better situation for any tense times between keepers.

I believe that the arrangement was that rock lighthouses had three keepers and mainland ones had two. It is possible that the close proximity of Ross Island to the mainland may account for only two. Plus having some space to walk around rather than being cooped up together in a rock lighthouse with nowhere to go would be a better situation for any tense times between keepers.
    Makes sense, and I guess such islands being close to shore would mean they'd likely get visitors and be able to leave more often.

The Cuma seems to go to these islands now, en route to or from St. K.
    True, but the Cuma is more weather-dependent than a bigger ship, and although I went on the 6-day cruise, we didn't get to either Monach or Flannan. We had waited an extra day in the Hebrides chain for a weather window to get to Kilda

Yes, that would make a lot of sense.

The BBC have just posted a story about the murder. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-40875034