Thread: Varnish. How much and what type?

Default Varnish. How much and what type?

For my 15ft stitch and tape plywood peterbrough. It's currently finished in glass and epoxy resin.

I hadn't intended to varnish it because it is stored indoors and not used all that much but I'm getting a lot more use out of it than previously. Could probably do with some UV protection.

I've also managed to scrape it up a bit over rocks on my summer holidays so it'll need a coat of something, even if it's just a roll over with epoxy.

I'm guessing the brand to go for is the ever popular epifane but which one? I'm ideally looking for something tough when dry and easy to apply. It doesn't need to have an absolute mirror finish, I like the look of the wood but equally, it's for paddling and you can't see it when you're in it. You can still just make out the texture of the glass sheathing as it is, it will almost certainly pick up a few more dings and scrapes as time goes on and I have limited patience for sanding so "good enough" is good enough for me.

I do have a compressor and spray gun but I'm not very good with it.

The next question is roughly how much will I need to give the outside a reasonable coat? It's not cheap stuff so I don't want to buy too much but euqally, buying two small tins when I could have had a big one is just as wasteful.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Unless you want the perfect finish I'd go for something far cheaper.
    I usually use exterior satin from Wilkinsons. (not the water based stuff).
    Considering the boat will get scratched and need re-doing every now and then it doesn't make sense to me to spend big money. On my wide board boat I think I used around 4 litres - about 5 coats inside and +9 outside but you won't need anything like that. Your varnish is just a UV protection and make it look good so perhaps 2 inside (which will last for ages) and 3-4 outside.
    I usually estimate that 1M length is 1 square meter.

Sam

Flag yacht varnish from Toolstation is another cheaper option. I have found once epifane's is opened what's left in the
    tin goes off [thickens] really quick. Still got 1/2 a tin of flag from my last build and its as it was when I opened it.
    Atb Terry

4. Default

Jotun ravilakk is a top quality yacht varnish, about 20 for 750ml tin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Davids Fastglas Resin if I'm doing any epoxy work, from Halfords. For this, or for straightforward varnish, use a foam roller and a give it a VERY light finishing sweep with a really good soft brush. The roller ensures and even coating and the brush takes out the stippling from the roller, leaving a mirror-like finish... I also do this with gloss or satin paint, on doors and other woodwork.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Feet View Post
    I use Davids Fastglas Resin if I'm doing any epoxy work, from Halfords. For this, or for straightforward varnish, use a foam roller and a give it a VERY light finishing sweep with a really good soft brush. The roller ensures and even coating and the brush takes out the stippling from the roller, leaving a mirror-like finish... I also do this with gloss or satin paint, on doors and other woodwork.
    David's Fastglas is a polyester resin, not an epoxy.

The roll and tip advice is good.

I've been happy with International Yacht Varnish just follow the instructions on the tin.
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    David's Fastglas is a polyester resin, not an epoxy.
    You're right. I was confusing it with epoxy because it's a two-part system with a catalyst. I might be wrong again (highly likely) but polyester and vinylester resins are more flexible - and better suited to finishing coats on boats and canoes - than pure epoxy resins?
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.