Thread: Overnighting between Old Windsor and Teddington Lock

Default Overnighting between Old Windsor and Teddington Lock

I am hoping that someone may be able to give some advice for our planned trip to complete the non-tidal Thames in which we'll put in at The Bells of Ouzeley in Old Windsor then take out either at Teddington Lock or, perhaps, since the tide times look favourable, continue a few km downstream to Richmond Lock. The total distance will be between 33-38 km, which would be a bit of a slog in one day solo so I'm looking for any overnight options somewhere near halfway. There's a C&CC site at Chertsey but do people know of other options, including unofficial spots, a bit further downstream? Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jeremy

You'd probably do well to find a decent wild camp spot on that section, its mostly urban. I have sometimes wondered about Desborough Island, though it would be very unofficial and might prove to be the sort of place where you get disturbed by folk drinking and messing about. Or you might get lucky.

As you say there's the C&CC site, also just upstream is Laleham Camping Club (sometimes known as Stalag Laleham for its rules, high fences and guard towers. OK, maybe not the towers)

An alternative might be to contact a canoe club along the route, I found them remarkably helpful when doing the London section, offering overnight boat storage and even potentially a floor (which we never took them up on).
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Desborough Island is your best bet. Lots of fishermen and Eastern European folk seem to camp there. I would be inclined to stop about opposite the sailing club, far away from the easily reached bits near the Bridges. Of course you will be lengthening your journey by about a quarter hour compared with the Desborough cut.

You should be warned that I am not really a canoe camper so you may choose to ignore my advice.

Impcanoe

Thanks Mal and Impcanoe for the ideas. I'll investigate the Desborough Island option as well as local clubs. Someone suggested I try Airbnb!

I live in Thames Ditton and my canoe club has some grassy area inside its compound with river access, might be worth dropping them a line to see if you can pitch on it for the night?

Elmbridge canoe club is just below Shepperton Lock, and has a large park next to it. And since posting above I seem to remember that Shepperton Canoe Club, (alongside Shepperton Lock) has camping when they have a slalom.

Highlander I'm a bit above you, but paddle that stretch and had no knowledge of a canoe club in the Dittons Unless you are the boat club between KGS boat house and the Ditton Skiff club.

Whilst I'm listing clubs with amenities, Royal by Trowlock Island, a bit above Teddington Lock has a very easily accessed slip, and I have been permitted by Richmond Canoe Club to lock up my boat in their car park whilst using my OAP bus pass to get my car

Apologies I should of worded it better but its the BMYC club in Thames Ditton, I call it the Canoe club as mine is housed there however its very much an all types of vessel layout.

Thats ok. One of m grand daughters strokes the WJ14Quad at KGS, and we lunch occasionally at the pub, and I have called in to your club for interest, when considering buying my Goat Island Skiff. The stretch opposite, being as you will know, one of very few punting race courses, has been alluded to when I've been questioning the need to pole an open for BCU tests, something the yakers are not asked to do. If I wanted to pole, I'd join Ditton Skiff and Punt Club.

Thanks again for the advice. Elmbridge Canoe Club have been very helpful but I'll follow up Highlander's suggestion of BMYC, if they'll have us, as that looks well placed for a relaxed second day's paddle.

Just a footnote to this. We made good progress on Saturday, stopping off for dinner at Hurst Park just as the 150th Molesey Regatta's results of the day were being announced. I spoke to the local fishermen who were clearly planning to spend the night by the river so we found a quiet spot out of the way a little further downstream and set up a low profile camp there. Apart from the occasional bug and early-morning squawking of the parakeets that flock together in this area, we were undisturbed. For others' information, the lock-keeper at Sunbury was very helpful; he pointed out that there's a large field with camping run by Apps Court Farm through a gate just below the lock on river right but he couldn't tell us anything about the cost etc (nor can I as the gate was locked and the phone number we found was manned by an answer-machine so we moved on). As we paddled down, we got chatting to a group from a skiff club who were running canoe taster sessions; again, they were friendly and helpful which was pretty much our experience this weekend and, in fact, throughout all the various stages of the journey from Cricklade. Being up early on Sunday meant that we were at our get out by Richmond Lock before noon and, although it wasn't part of the overall plan, I'm now contemplating continuing along the tideway and out towards the estuary but would like to do it with someone with experience of the stretch if anyone's interested in principle.

That's good to know, thanks for the update.

A few of us are planning to do a day paddle from Thames Ditton up to Walton in a few weeks but for future reference does anyone know of any campsites with river access near Walton/Shepperton/Chertsey etc?

Chertsey C&CC, Laleham Camping Club. Both enjoy a set of rules. Chertsey nicer, and on the water, you just have to battle their booking process. Laleham across small road from easy launch, bit run down and basically weird unless its changed in the last 5 years.