Thread: Peasemarsh 14 kit - build 2017

Default Peasemarsh 14 kit - build 2017

Hi everyone
    After looking around for a plastic canoe that was light and cheap, but easy to handle for a beginner and able to carry loads of gear, and not finding anything ideal, I infected a pal with enthusiasm for getting out on the water and we decided to go for a Peasemarsh 14, mainly because it looked good and big in the photos, weighed in at 22.5kgs according to the blurb, had decent reviews in the water, and he was confident he could make a good job of it. We opted for the full kit as space was limited (friend's garage) and he didn't think there would be enough room to loft the plans. I offered my services as unskilled labourer and photographer and our order went in.

Here's the link to my flickr album while I work out how to post pics
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/626214...57682833468152

So much excitement the day it arrived, and John started joining the panels together with fibreglass tape and epoxy. We don't have much room so did one side of a few panels a night, the epoxy took nearly 24 hours to cure.
    [IMG]canoe01 by MsTreeee, on Flickr[/IMG]

I got to help with the cable tie stitching, it was pretty cool to see how quickly it took shape
    [IMG]canoe02 by MsTreeee, on Flickr[/IMG]

Joining the curves is particularly satisfying
    [IMG]canoe03 by MsTreeee, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]canoe04 by MsTreeee, on Flickr[/IMG]

Several round of tightening the cable ties followed
    [IMG]canoe05 by MsTreeee, on Flickr[/IMG]

Trying the buoyancy chambers for fit
    [IMG]canoe06 by MsTreeee, on Flickr[/IMG]

One last round of tightening the cable ties and the canoe is ready for filling.

Have the pics worked? I can see them but there's a load of code surrounding them...

Anyway, I missed the filling of the boat part due to Shooglenifty playing Glenuig Hall so I've no photos of that bit, or indeed most of that weekend

We rejoin construction for the taping of the outside seams. the filler had done the job in holding the panels together and the cable ties were cut
    [IMG]canoe07 by MsTreeee, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]canoe08 by MsTreeee, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]canoe09 by MsTreeee, on Flickr[/IMG]

I got to help with this bit, dabbing epoxy onto the tape and smoothing it over the curves in the panels, it's pretty amazing stuff.
    [IMG]canoe10 by MsTreeee, on Flickr[/IMG]

Fitting the yoke / carry handle
    [IMG]canoe11 by MsTreeee, on Flickr[/IMG]

Smoothing out the curves
    [IMG]xanoe12 by MsTreeee, on Flickr[/IMG]

Half the curves taped and epoxyed and the rubbing strip going on
    [IMG]canoe14 by MsTreeee, on Flickr[/IMG]

And that's up to date, more pics soon... (if they've worked!

photos are all present (unless there are some I can't see !?)

Looks like you are doing a great job between you.

Beware - building boats is addictive - you'll soo want one each . . . . . and then a spare . . . . and . . .

Sam

Thanks Sam! I've already offered to buy him out of his share but then we decided to look at solo sea kayaks instead

He's making a great job of it, but wasn't well for a few weeks so progress has been slow.

Buoyancy chambers fitted

[IMG]DSC_9913edit by MsTreeee, on Flickr[/IMG]

2 coats of epoxy to seal the outside, 2 coats of waterproof pva to seal the inside

[IMG]DSC_9915edit by MsTreeee, on Flickr[/IMG]

And the first coat of paint

[IMG]DSC_9927edit by MsTreeee, on Flickr[/IMG]

He decided we needed to put it in the water to check it was watertight and suss out if and where to put seats, I wanted a seat but he wasn't keen. So off we went to Lochindorb with the canoe tied onto his car with rope and a wee bit of padding. The sun was out when we arrived but rain was never far away

[IMG]Lochindorb maiden voyage by MsTreeee, on Flickr[/IMG]

We got it in the water and surrounded by a huge cloud of beasties, we set off for the castle. It handled really well and in no time we arrived on the island.

Even though it was quite overcast the colour I'd chosen was quite vivid!

So no leaks and as he was in agony from kneeling, we're having seats. A few more coats of paint and hatches and ironmongery fitted and we'll be there. So chuffed with it and getting out on the water in it was fab.

Superb!
    The colour looks great against a stormy sky.

Sam

Very impressed, I've always wanted to try building one but never quite had the guts to go for it. Well done.

Looks really lovely and a bonus that it doesn't leak!

Looks great! I rather fancy making one of these but have absolutely no skills in woodwork.

Well done on the build. Looks great. Nice to have the skill and patience to produce something like this.