Here's a link to the website.
    http://www.ulstercanoefestival.com/index.html
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

There's a special deal on for anyone wishing to travel over by car at this website.
    https://nutttravel.com/index.php?cID=354#.WV41Qfco_qD

Anyone wishing to fly in and borrow gear let us know and we'll do our best to get you sorted.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Definitely watching this Al, hope to get there by air, but going to depend on my circumstances by then!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Definitely watching this Al, hope to get there by air, but going to depend on my circumstances by then!
    I understand buddy. Hope we can make it work.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Hi mate

I'm aiming to get over for it but would need something to paddle. I'm flying in with my paddle and camping gear so all I'll be short is a boat and a paddle.

see ya
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Hi mate

I'm aiming to get over for it but would need something to paddle. I'm flying in with my paddle and camping gear so all I'll be short is a boat and a paddle.

see ya
    No worries, you can have a Venture P15 or a Nova craft sp3 from me. Or if you pull the stunt I did on you, you can nick my Wenonah P15 when my back is turned.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

A quick bump for this thread. I have it on good authority that the campsite is suitable for hammocks as well as tents. So this is the perfect chance to come and "Hang out" with us over here, get some good coaching and enjoy some good oul' Norn Iron craic.

It's sponsored by Hou canoes, and Downcreek paddles will be there in abundance. (You'd think I was on commission, I'm not). I believe the "Round Britain" canoeists will be there too, so its looking good.

I've still a spare canoe and tent for anyone who wants to just fly in with hand luggage.
    Last edited by Big Al.; 14th-August-2017 at 10:48 PM.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

I'm going, I've put my name down to buy a used Hou 16'. Apparently it's only 4 months old. I can't wait to get it.

Michael

Looking more and more likely that I'll be able to come. Will chat at the weekend Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Looking more and more likely that I'll be able to come. Will chat at the weekend Al.
    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear .... what could possibly go wrong ?
    MarkL

Gareth just posted this on Facebook.

Good morning Folks,
    Only 23 days left until this years festival!! We need to put our final orders in for T-Shirts and Neck warmers over the next few days so that they are all printed up on time for the event. We would ask that if you haven’t registered yet and you are keen on attending we would ask that you sign up, so we can book everything.
    Bookings are done via www.ulstercanoefestival.com you will then receive a PayPal invoice from MYOA group for 45.

Which got me thinking it's pretty good value.

You can probably book right up to the last minute but it might mean there isn't a good choice of merchandise.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Flight booked. All set.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    Gareth just posted this on Facebook.

Good morning Folks,
    Only 23 days left until this years festival!! We need to put our final orders in for T-Shirts and Neck warmers over the next few days so that they are all printed up on time for the event. We would ask that if you haven’t registered yet and you are keen on attending we would ask that you sign up, so we can book everything.
    Bookings are done via www.ulstercanoefestival.com you will then receive a PayPal invoice from MYOA group for 45.

Which got me thinking it's pretty good value.

You can probably book right up to the last minute but it might mean there isn't a good choice of merchandise.
    MarkL

This is great, I'm packing for the Biggish meet this weekend, and we are already making plans for another event.

Woo Hoo!!
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Just trying to bump this a bit at the minute. Numbers are looking really good for the event and we are only 15 days away from the actual event.

Alan has obviously a few boats available however there is at least 2 full trailer loads of boats and a selection of paddling kit (and wonderful Valkerie and downcreek paddles) available to loan, or you can try out a selection of the Hou fleet.

For the guys coming in earlier we will have access to the campsite/venue from early on Friday morning with registrations officially opening at 6.30pm, as the venue is right on the banks of the river this makes for a great opportunity to come along and pick the best pitch and head off for a paddle.

If anyone needs any information or wants to borrow kit please feel free to get in touch. We also have a couple of runs to and from the airport to get done so plenty of options to get people to and from the venue.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Drumilly View Post
    I'm going, I've put my name down to buy a used Hou 16'. Apparently it's only 4 months old. I can't wait to get it.

Michael
    Hi Michael,
    Just checking through the sign up list and I haven't got any details down for you, sessions etc? Did you receive a Sign up email from me?

Sorry to be a pain, just concerned that I may have missed something here.

Rgds
    Gareth

An update from me too. Both my "spare" canoes are now spoken for. So it's over to you Gareth for anyone else flying in etc.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Cheers Al. Loads of kit available. just get in touch with me to book airport collections or canoe/camping kit
    We also have a load of hammocks / tarps available should you be so swayed (sorry Al I had to....)

Quote Originally Posted by m4hood View Post
    We also have a load of hammocks / tarps available should you be so swayed (sorry Al I had to....)
    naughty boy.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

I finally registered earlier...

Registered myself just for the saturday unfortunately as I cant make Sunday. Looking forward to trying out this canoe lark and meeting a few of you.

Quote Originally Posted by m4hood View Post
    Hi Michael,
    Just checking through the sign up list and I haven't got any details down for you, sessions etc? Did you receive a Sign up email from me?

Sorry to be a pain, just concerned that I may have missed something here.

Rgds
    Gareth

Do I have to register and pay 45 +10 to get into the festival to have a look around and buy a canoe that I have ordered. The website doesn't make it very clear.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Drumilly View Post
    Do I have to register and pay 45 +10 to get into the festival to have a look around and buy a canoe that I have ordered. The website doesn't make it very clear.

Michael
    Sorry Michael, you are certainly able to come along and collect your Canoe on Sunday afternoon from the festival venue at Portneal for no cost.
    If you want to come for the whole weekend and take part in events it is 45 for the weekend pass and 10 if you are not a member of British Canoeing or equivalent (for insurance).
    I am able to easily put something together for you if you just want to come and do 1 or 2 sessions, please feel free to give me a call on 07872589766 to discuss if needs be.

G

Thanks for the reply Gareth, It's now looking like I'll not be able to get to the festival, unless something happens that frees up my time. That's a pity.

Michael

I just wanted to thank all concerned with the UCF for their assistance and hospitality over the weekend, especially Big Al, Mr Nick and Gareth.

There is a really strong community of paddlers over there who couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful. The late Indian summertime climate, blue skies and balmy breeze also helped***

note *** I may have lied about the last bit.

I'd urge anyone who thinks "maybe next year" to actually go along and support the Norn Iron contingent.
    MarkL

I can only second Mark's comments, an excellent, and above all welcoming, event. My thanks to my various butlers and valets....

Absolutely agree with the above, a very helpful and accomodating event even for a total novice like me. Clearly an active and thriving canoe community here.

Unfortunately I was only there for the Saturday sessions and so didn't meet many of you but I'm sure I will in the future.

Good work Gareth and all others involved.

Yes it was a fantastic event. Even though the gods conspired to throw more challenges at Gareth and John, they prevailed in style. I got a phone call from Gareth on the Friday morning saying, the grass hasn't been cut, the campsite is like a bog, we have no running water and the forecast is crap, what should we do.
    Carry on regardless, I said, we are canoeists, we thrive on that stuff. And so we did, in many ways it added to the event and we laughed our way through it.

Thanks to everyone who came, I just wish I'd had more time to get round you all and say hello. But there's always next year.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

It is in reflection that all I can say is phew.....thank the Lord that is over.....haha

I am glad you enjoyed it. and plan is for Share centre 2018!!