Thread: River Allier. France. Safe parking at start?

Default River Allier. France. Safe parking at start?

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a place to park up, at the start of the Allier?
    I have a vw van/camper, so it needs to be left in a safe place. Stuff inside. Bikes etc.

I know there are various start points, but going by the guide books, maybe St. Etienne or Chapeauroux.
    In the past I left the van at campsites for a small fee, but this is not always possible during the summer season.

If the villages are quiet and big, then roadside parking may be okay.

Cheers.

Hey

There's not much at Chapeauroux. Its a fairly remote spot, just a small village. Probably fine just to leave it, but might be worth telling somebody as they might be concerned if a vehicle is left there for long.

Are you in the Gumotex, or an open canoe?

The river down from St Etienne-du-Vigan is, I think, a step up, not normally considered a touring/canoe camping section, certainly not in opens. Nor is the section further downstream from Monistrol to Prades. I'm not actually sure its possible/allowed to paddle the bit between Pont d'Alleyras and Monistrol, which has a large barrage/dam.

Chapeauroux to Pont d' Alleyras is sustained grade2+, with bits of 3, personally I'd rather be warming up on easier sections first than starting with the hard stuff.

My own highest start point in a fully laden canoe would be Prades.

FYI, levels are generally low. I know of at least one group who didn't want to run the higher sections (above the barrage) due to this. Below, there are regular releases, so should be fine, seem to be at least 2 a day looking at RiverApp.

I'm sure you know all this, so tell me to bugger off if so The gummy is probably more capable than an open on some of this stuff, as it won't swamp, you'll know best.

Have a great trip!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Hello Mal,
    Thanks for keeping an eye out and the warnings.
    Yes, I will be using the Gumotex. It is fine (fun) in white water but mine is not self bailing.
    I have been looking at the rough sections on YouTube and I will probably give some of it a try. I will check on the
    day if I run them with or without camping gear.

Cheers.

Is your plan to do this solo or as part of a group?

Tour de France passed through Prades today. Yesterday canoeing & fly fishing. Today the tour. Not a bad weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Paddle Man View Post
    Tour de France passed through Prades today. Yesterday canoeing & fly fishing. Today the tour. Not a bad weekend.
    Good stuff.

Having been following the last couple of days in particular, as they've been passing fairly close to places I've visited a few times. Hadn't actually noticed they went through Prades though, and missed that bit on the telly.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle