Thread: eddiethelegs

1. Default eddiethelegs

Hi,
    Hello to anyone out there.
    My name is Eddie ( known as ' eddiethelegs '. I am new to the Forum ( also new to canoeing ).
    Is there anyone out there who could give me some advice? In August, 3 friends and myself are setting off to canoe the Leeds/ Liverpool canal.
    What permission do we need ie; permits, getting through locks, accommodation etc.
    Since i retired i have attempted to set myself a challenge and try to raise money for various charities. I have climbed Everest (Base Camp ), cycled from Russia back to Lancashire, run in the New York and Berlin marathons and last year cycled from Land's End to John o Groats.
    I am 76 years of age, married to Audrey for 40 years ( next year ). I attend Hope Church in Oswaldtwistle ( yes, you read it correctly ).
    I do hope there is SOMEONE who is able to help.
    Eddie Adams ( aka eddiethelegs ).

Hi Eddie, you can get a licence directly from the Canal & Rivers Trust - short term licenses are available that may suit your purpose but there are some restrictions on use of tunnels etc.
    Alternatively, you get an annual licence included with a British Canoeing membership. It's worth you looking at the cost vs benefits.
    With regards to locks it's generally not recommended to use locks in a canoe and certainly not alongside a 30t narrow boat. Besides, you'd need a lock key. Portage around locks is the accepted solution so a canoe trolley may be a prudent purchase!

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    When I read about the evils of drinking I gave up reading.

Hello and Welcome!

Sounds like a good challenge, though not as exotic as some of your previous adventures. Though with some bits of Lancs and Yorks, it might be wilder

You'll need a licence to paddle the canal (and most others), the easiest way to get this for annual use is to join British Canoeing/Canoe England (about 40). If you're ONLY wanting to paddle such waters on this occasion you can get a shorter term licence through the Canal & Rivers trust, not sure on details.

With a canoe, you're probably going to have to portage round most locks I would guess. You CAN go through, but its harder when on your own, and quite a bit slower.

There was a blogg on here about the trip:
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ight=liverpool
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...the-second-bit

and some info here: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ight=liverpool

Good luck!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

4. Default

Thanks for your comments Pete.
    We will CERTAINLY take on board ( NOT LITERALLY ) the advice about narrow boats and Locks.
    eddiethelegs

5. Default

Hi,
    Thanks for your advice, it is much appreciated.
    eddiethelegs

Advice as above. Can't add much except to comment that Oswaldtwistle is a great place - 23 years there 34 years ago. Not much canoeing water locally though from memory
    Sam

7. Default

Hi all,
    Well, the good ship ( canoe ) 'Derwent Project' sets off on Monday 14th August.
    Two of the crew are looking decidedly green around the gills and we haven't left the quayside yet.
    Please pray that we have fair weather, that we don't meet any WILD Swans or MONSTERS of the deep.
    The guys i am canoeing with will be putting it on facebook ( me and technology don't get on ).
    We are setting off from Eldonian Village ( Liverpool ) fairly early.
    Eddiethelegs

All the best Eddie on your newest adventure
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Good luck, and hope you enjoy every minute!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle