Thread: Location for family paddle and camp.

Default Location for family paddle and camp.

Can someone recommend a family friendly campsite which is next to a lake?

Lake District or North Wales.

Mick
    Last edited by geomickb; 19th-June-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Glanllyn on Bala
    Gwynant
    Coniston Hall

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    Glanllyn on Bala
    Gwynant
    Coniston Hall
    Thanks will take a look. When I say family friendly I mean minimum chance of noisy youths.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

In that case, Coniston Hall can be a bit rowdy.

Low Wray in the Lake District has lakeside pitches on Windermere (at a price), and being National Trust, tends to put off the louder folk as their rules are a bit stricter. Also in the Lakes, Keswick Camping and Caravanning if you want to be near a town.

On Bala, there's another campsite on the opposite side of the lake of which I've heard no complaints, but only used Glanllyn myself.

I'd agree with the other recommendations.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Coniston old hall is maga busy in school summer hols,
    Liverpool comes to visit and bring their beers and footballs with them
    avoid like the plague!
    nature is m X-box

Keswick Camping and Caravanning all the way, although Castlerigg Farm is also excellent if you pick your site correctly.
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

Hi Geomickb, Try waterside farm at Pooly bridge, Ullswater. They have glam tents, them small cabin things, tents and campervans allowed but no caravans though, I was up there last weekend but a bit windy for this old guy, been there quite a few times over the last few years, SOTP even had meet there, It has a very pleasant 1 mile water side walk to Pooley bride village with plenty of family friendly pubs and eateries, easy access to the water, its right there by your side, well worth the trip. look @ interesting web. www.watersidefarm-campsite.co.uk be safe BigH.
    Last edited by bigH; 21st-June-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Booked into Glanlyn, will report back.

Keep the suggestions coming, plenty more trips planned.

Yes, we like the Keswick one but they don't really like you arriving late (we usually travel up Friday nights after work.) and have a minimum stay policy. Basically it's only good if going for a week.

Waterside looks good.

A few people have suggested this one: http://www.balalakecamping.co.uk/ but it seems to get booked up pretty quickly.
    Mick

9. Default

We stayed at Waterside House campsite ( http://www.watersidefarm-campsite.co.uk/ ) on Ullswater, in the Lakes recently. Didn't actually canoe from there but it would have been lovely if we'd had them with us.

It's too late now, but,
    We've stayed at Pant-yr-Onnen a few times. It's across the lake from Glanllyn on Llyn Tegid. It's quiet, sheltered, close to a station on the Bala lake narrow-gauge railway. The facilities are basic but adequate. There is direct access to the lake and you can have open fires on the foreshore. We liked it a lot.
    The last few times we've been in those parts, it's been Glanllyn.

This is is off-topic but I was thinking that next time we're there, it would make a nice little adventure to paddle across the lake to the beach by Llangower station, eat, rest, play there until after dark, then paddle back to Glanllyn in the dark. It would have to be calm conditions of course.

Glanllyn was OK, it is a good family site and we would go back.

There was only one slight problem with a couple playing music after 2300.

They did turn it off after I shouted at them from my tent.

How would you guys deal with this? I always think that approaching them is the wrong thing to do because almost certainly they will have been drinking?

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by geomickb View Post

How would you guys deal with this? I always think that approaching them is the wrong thing to do because almost certainly they will have been drinking?

Mick
    Send SWMBO in her nightie. Worked a treat in Algonquin! But they were a bunch of nice, culturally dry lads, just away from home for a couple of nights ;-)
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

Stayed at waterside farm this weekend. Great for access to the lake and family oriented site.