Thread: A taste of the Broads in a day

Default A taste of the Broads in a day

I'm visiting friends in north-west Norfolk in a couple of weeks' time and was going to sneak out for a day paddle. I wonder if anyone can recommend somewhere for a round-trip paddle of say 6-7 hours in total, maybe with an intermediate / turnaround place with a cafe.

I've never been to the Broads before, so this will be just a taster for a dedicated trip (perhaps next summer), when I've more time to plan things for myself.

Thanks.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

In high season, avoid the hotspots. You don't want to be anywhere near Wroxham / Hoveton, Surlingham, Ludham, Potter Heigham and so on.

For short potters you could look upstream of Coltishall, or on the Dilham canal... but in truth there's not a day's paddling to be had at either... so for the northern rivers head further across to Hickling, Horsey and Martham... all of which is less frequented by out of control hire boats. Bonus: Hickling is shallow, you away from the main channel it's generally quieter... and the wildlife around Hickling and Horsey is great.

For an evening paddle, South Walsham and the Bure to St Benet's Abbey can work - great for otter watching and there's a ditch out the southern end that loops around and back: good for kingfisher spotting. You can also get around to Ranworth. It's never as busy after 5pm as most of the hire craft moor up early and miss the best part of the day!

Further down, you can have a short day by getting onto the Chet in Loddon, get out to the Yare and along to one of the pubs (e.g. Reedham or Reedham Ferry)... but check the tides: you want low water whilst you have your pint so you get sucked down and then pushed back

In other craft, I'd recommend going further, and the Berney Arms / Breydon Water are indeed worth a visit... and you might see seals along the way... but in truth, all of the navigable southern rivers (including the Waveney up to Beccles) are reed lined and are better enjoyed on foot from the paths along the banks.

That said, if you get rain, arrange a one-way trip from Schole (near Diss) to Homersfield (near Bungay): glorious bit of river but generally dry and a tad overgrown in summer!

Thanks Greg. I'll check out those places on a map later in the week.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

How about setting off from Neatishead, around Barton Broad up to Sutton Staithe and its hotel with restaurant and bar for lunch and return

or

Martham up Heigham Sound down the windy river to Horsey Mere, lunch or tea at the café, climb up the wind pump for the view and return.

Or down Hickling (where I really learnt to sail), up to Horsey Mere, ready to dive into the rushes to avoid sailing boats going down wind, and then as Adrian says.

Impcanoe