Thread: Another Newbie - Hi

Cool Another Newbie - Hi

Hi All,
    Very pleased to have found such a friendly site.

I'm very new. Never been in a canoe before - maybe once many years ago. But on a whim decided it would be a great activity for the family (wife + 2 sproggs + possibly 1 excitable dog).

Due to budgets and mainly logistics I have purchased a couple of inflatable canoes (Is 'inflatable' a swear word around here?). I'm hoping these will be good enough for us all to get on the water safely and have an adventure or two. Also hoping that the they will be decent enough for me to head out on my own every now and then.

Initial plan is to do some simple short local (Surrey + Sussex) paddles to get the boats wet and us a little prepared and ready for a week in the lake district in August.

Anyway, the main reason for the post was just to say 'Hi' and say what a great website this is, but if anyone has any comments or advice then It would be more than welcome.

The kit I have is - a Sevylor Adventure and a Viamare 330 (bought cheap on Ebay but looks very good on the lawn)

Sussex.

Hello and Welcome!

It is indeed a great family activity.

I started with an inflatable, they're a great way to find out the joys of being on the water, and can be a very convenient way of doing so without the hassle of having to store a large canoe. They do have their own hassles, get used to handling a big pile of dripping fabric! After a year of this, realising I was hooked, I found ways round the storage issue and bought a "hard shell" open canoe...

There are lots of places to paddle in the Sussex and Surrey area. Have a look on Paddle Points. Depending on where you are in Sussex, the Wey and Arun canal might be a good place to start (Walk down past the first lock to save getting in and out there). THe Wey is lovely, and has lots of access points, and the Basingstoke canal is possibly the easiest of all, and is very pleasant, especially west of Fleet. There's also the Arun, but I'd get used to paddling first as that's tidal and the flow can be quite strong.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Hello
    I'm a newbie myself and also started with an inflatable for the family - I don't think anyone here would poo-poo them (just don't mention the k**** word ). From my experience everyone here is friendly and just happy to see people get into canoeing, however they can manage it.

All the best,
    Richard

Hu Sussex and a warm welcome to SoTP
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Hi and welcome to the forum. Many people on here are very happy with their inflatables. If you want to swap later you'll almost certainly get your money back, so no down side either way.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

Hi All,
    Ok - so we are 2 weeks on now and have completed 2 trips - first one with my son(12) in the Sevylor and the second with my Daughter(10) in the Viamare. Both trips were very successful and the kids had great fun and want to do it again .
    As far as the boats were concerned - really impressed with both of them, especially as the Viamare was a bit of a gamble (bought new on Ebay from a German company with very little info). both times setting off on the Wey Navigation at Shalford but heading in different directions. We managed to stay dry, Portaged round some locks and a weir, squeezed past, over and under various fallen trees trying to block our route when we venture along the River Wey itself.
    Next task is to get the whole family out, including my wife, so we can have both boats on the water. This is all so we are prepared for our trip to the Lakes in August so we have a little time yet.

Just a word of warning. Kids of that age very soon hanker for navigational freedom, normally without siblings. You may want to start consideration of how you might achieve that without having it forced upon you. Kids kayaks are comparatively cheap, light and car-top-able. Plus most clubs have holiday courses to get them up to speed and safe. The buzz words are "one star". I for one, do not consider kayak a dirty word.having been a kayak White water racer, tourer and surfer in a previous life.

Impcanoe

Thanks for the heads up Impcanoe,
    At this early stage the intention is just to provide a bit of family fun - "shall we go for a bike ride or take the canoes out?". Though I'm hoping to have a few solo adventures myself. The inflatables seem a great way to sample the delights, both the two man inflatables + paddles + 4 life vest +++ all sit easily in the boot of the car and take up no room in the garage. Then if the bug bites any or all of us we can progress in which ever way takes us (my guess is I will end up getting a rigid canoe or a SOT) I've given up trying to guess what my kids might like or dislike. I must admit that nothing seems cheap when it comes to any of the Kayaks/Canoes.
    Sussex

Ah part of the cost thing is the apparent need for super shiny, and another the inflated prices people think their vessels are worth, and a third is where you look. Understanding what you mean about the vagaries of youth, the scout movement and local canoe clubs are sources of "cast off" because kids grow, boats