Thread: Canoe Mat

Default Canoe Mat

Has anyone got any bargain mats recently?

I was thinking something like this might work?:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-too...et-120-x-180cm

I think they are what people generally use. I got some sticky back foam from efoam.co.uk which is good but wasn't cheap

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I used something similar to the Halfords ones and they were perfectly fine. However, I now have a thicker mat and my knees can really tell the difference ! I ended up buying a mat from Black Snow Saddles but Endless River does a really good one as well.
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

I've got the Endless River mat and I love it. Very comfortable and I love the non-slip qualities. Started with an 8 Screwfix kneeling mat but slides around. Loving the Endless River kit.

+1 for the black snow mats. Very comfortable and can be bought long enough to fit gunnel to gunnel which stops them sliding about
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

What is the best thing to use to stick the mats in with? I've got a Broadlands Duralite canoe, so don't want to melt it.

Bigdug interlocking foam garage floor mats.
    5 in the canoe protect the floor/tent entrance/sleep mat or whatever. Price was peanuts.......... Identical to the Halfords ones

Quote Originally Posted by Wantsum View Post
    What is the best thing to use to stick the mats in with? I've got a Broadlands Duralite canoe, so don't want to melt it.
    Might be worth dropping them a line. I think your main problem will be getting stuff to stick at all. I seem to recall something to do with flaming the hull material briefly with a blowlamp before applying adhesive among other things but it would be best to ask, they are a keen and helpful manufacturer by all accounts.

One top tip I was given about kneeling mats and have used is to stick your mat in in two pieces with a 2" gap in the centre running along the length of the boat. Then if you get a little water in, it doesn't run over the mat as it goes front to back. Keeps your knees a lot drier.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

There's a tutorial from Bootstrap Bob on here somewhere describing how he glued a bath mat (the type with the little suckers on it) to some kneeling foam.
    It's the little suckers that then adhere to the boat, so no glueing is required to the boat.
    An excellent idea in my opinion, plus it means you can move the mat from boat to boat should it be required.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

I don't stick mine in.

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    I don't stick mine in.
    Nor me, as I use it under my tent as additional padding when canoe camping. However, it can catch you out by slipping when you go down steeper drops on whitewater, which isn't ideal.

I did use the "Bootstrap" bath mat method. Its quite effective, but my abuse of the mat and lack of DIY skills mean it didn't last long before the dirt and grit meant the bathmat came away. If you're willing to do it properly, and not use the mat under a tent, as a changing mat in car parks, or give it other such abuse, its a good method.

I know numerous people who use kneeling pads instead, all of whom are happy with this method, but I've tried it and am not so keen.

I'm firmly in the knee pad camp, but soft ones that are barely noticeable when they're on, not the ones with a hard plastic cover like gardening ones.
    Pads are so easy compared to a mat and because you have them on, they're always where you want them to be in the boat at any given time.
    The only downside is that they get wet in summer if there's water in the bottom of the boat, but that doesn't matter to me because it is summer and they'll soon dry out.
    In winter, they're underneath my dry suit so they stay dry.

Each to their own.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

There's several sellers offering the Halfords type mats on eBay at reasonable prices.

I've had similar mats in my boats and found them very good. Having said that, now that I'm getting older I don't find that they provide enough padding on a long trip - might have to invest in a thicker mat or some knee pads.

Stinkwheel's advice about leaving a gap in the middle is good. I didn't do that on my first boat and regret it - it makes bailing a pain as the water doesn't all flow to the lowest point.

Try this I'm getting great results .. It's what SB supply in OC1 outfitting kits ..
    great for foam to PE boats

https://webstore.glenseal.com/produc...-500ml-aerosol

Quote Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
    There's several sellers offering the Halfords type mats on eBay at reasonable prices.

I've had similar mats in my boats and found them very good. Having said that, now that I'm getting older I don't find that they provide enough padding on a long trip - might have to invest in a thicker mat or some knee pads.

Stinkwheel's advice about leaving a gap in the middle is good. I didn't do that on my first boat and regret it - it makes bailing a pain as the water doesn't all flow to the lowest point.
    Starting to find this a bit but thinking that it should be possible to just add another layer on top to double the thickness. They've been in the boats for years and still going strong so durability very good.

I used the Halfords mats. worked well, but once you ship a bit of water into the boat the mat slips. So if it is just flat water then they are perfect. For a rivers they are not so. I bought a endless river matt. Just done a trip on the river teith - much better.

Thanks for all the feedback. I've tried some of the 'non' slip mats and had a complete nightmare when trying out whitewater at the Symposium last November. Nothing seems to hold still once it is wet and I had little control in the moving water. I like the tip about leaving a gap in the middle to allow the water to flow out and will certainly do this. I've emailed Silverbirch as per the suggestion and will wait to see what I get back.

On a similar note I'm thinking of trying different kneeling positions. I've seen some people using what looks like a rolled up piece of carrymat tucked behind their knees. Does anyone have a link or picture information on this technique?

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by E_McNeill View Post
    On a similar note I'm thinking of trying different kneeling positions. I've seen some people using what looks like a rolled up piece of carrymat tucked behind their knees. Does anyone have a link or picture information on this technique?

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    I know folk who just use a bit of pipe clagging for this. It basically supports the front of the ankles, helping relieve the pins and needles/pain that can come from an extended period in the kneeling position.

I have a neoprene sleeping mat glued to the bottom of my canoe. It's pretty non-slip, which can become painful if the amount of friction between the canoe and a solid semi submerged surface is larger than the friction between your knees and the mat.

On a visit to the Loue in France last summer I should have opted for additional knee pads... (or longer trousers...)

Bootstrap Bob on here somewhere describing how he glued a bath mat (the type with the little suckers on it) to some kneeling foam.
    I picked this up from BB too - works for me, although I tiewrap the foam to the bath mat, so it can be replaced as needed.

The best glue for sticking foam mats is Evo-Stik Serious Stuff Wet Grab. It comes in a tube and will need a mastic gun to apply it, it is thick and gooey and you can move it around for a short while.

The problem with spray glues is that the foam soaks it up so it doesn't work so well. In days gone by it was usual to use Evo Stik Contact Adhesive but it is a bit noxious and sticks instantly so you need to be careful with placement. You would also need to put a primer application on the foam first as a sealer.

I have an endless River mat and agree it is good but after a few years the foam squashed so I took it apart and inserted a piece of thicker evazote foam which is really comfy!

I've purchased a couple of mats from Black Snow Saddles and after checking with Silverbirch, was recommended to use Tensorgrip L17 to stick them in with. Thanks to Chris at Silverbirch for contacting Black Snow to confirm what could be used. I can now safely stick them in without fear of melting anything.

Let us know how you get on with it.

I've purchased a couple of mats from Black Snow Saddles and after checking with Silverbirch, was recommended to use Tensorgrip L17 to stick them in with. Thanks to Chris at Silverbirch for contacting Black Snow to confirm what could be used. I can now safely stick them in without fear of melting anything.
    With any contact adhesive the key is to let the solvent gas off .. if the glue is wet let the solvent fully evaporate ..
    touch dry before sticking ..

Less is more build up in even layers ..two on mat and hull and touch dry before bonding ..

Chris did ask and I posted above my recommendation but please follow instructions .. I'm getting misquoted here

I use L17 on my own Duralite Broadland and loads of customers Duralite boats... please pm if you need any advice I'm always happy to help
    Last edited by pipster3; 26th-January-2018 at 08:25 PM.