Thread: Secret Rivers - Anglia TV on Sundays

Default Secret Rivers - Anglia TV on Sundays

The first of a new series started yesterday.... next episode info is here. Total of 6 shows from rivers around the East Anglia region.
    Pete.
    _____________________________________________________________ ________
    http://gibboscanoe.blogspot.com/ Please click on the adverts: it earns me money...

2. Default Secret Rivers

I am trying to get hold of a video of the 'River Stort' programme. Is there any chance you might have recorded it?

Quote Originally Posted by ant wright View Post
    I am trying to get hold of a video of the 'River Stort' programme. Is there any chance you might have recorded it?

If the Stort was shown on Jul 29th then no - sorry. I'll have a look to see what I do have - definitely The Lark. Also missed most of last night's showing too but did see they were advertising a dvd of both the first and second series at ~25 a go plus shipping! Seems a lot to me.
    Pete.
    http://gibboscanoe.blogspot.com/ Please click on the adverts: it earns me money...

4. Default thanks

Thanks for your prompt reply
    Yes it was the one transmited on 29th. As I don't live in the region I've and not seen any of the programmes I've no idea if 25 is going to be good value or not but I do want it so guess I'll be raiding my piggy bank.

Quote Originally Posted by ant wright View Post
    Thanks for your prompt reply
    Yes it was the one transmited on 29th. As I don't live in the region I've and not seen any of the programmes I've no idea if 25 is going to be good value or not but I do want it so guess I'll be raiding my piggy bank.
    I think both series are 6 programs each, all at half an hour a go so a good amount paddling time to look forward to. I'm hoping to do some of the Lark in the not too distant future which was featured last month.
    Pete.

Default Secret Rivers - the DVD

I contacted Anglia TV re. availability of the DVD of series 1 and 2 as their website gives no information whatsoever. To their credit they responded very quickly with the following information:

Series 1 & 2 are now available and the number at the end of the programme for the order line is 0870 2424255. Cost is 25.99 + pp of 1.75

For those who don't get this program (it seems confined to the Anglia TV region only) it's a series hosted by Paul Heiney paddling various rivers around East Anglia. He stops off to visit local sites and people, there's also a bit of history thrown in too.
    Gibbo.

Default Secret Rivers - Save your dosh

Personally I wouldn't waste your money. The first series has been repeated and no doubt will be again, so I'm sure the 2nd series wil get repeated as well. I shall stop now before I get into a rant about what's wrong with this series!

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Personally I wouldn't waste your money. The first series has been repeated and no doubt will be again, so I'm sure the 2nd series wil get repeated as well. I shall stop now before I get into a rant about what's wrong with this series!
    I tend to agree.

the river Gipping tonight was a good one as i have paddled that stretch of river well some of it and best of all was i was on the show doing the ITV big clean up last year so just for that i think i will splash out on the DVD although 25 is a bit steep but i did miss a couple and would like to see them but his paddling defiantly needs some attention i think.
    MARK (suffolk_mac)

One of my many complaints about this programme is that he paddles stretches of rivers on which we have no access agreement. He seeks the river from it's source which is very interesting but we rarely have permission to paddle these stretches of a river. In the first series he did make a passing comment about access agreements. He gets away with it because of who he is and he has a tv crew with him. But this often involves crossing private land and paddling where he shouldn't be. For example there are only limited parts of the Gipping that can be paddled. I wish he explained the access situation for each river at the end of each show. Most people would make the assumption that if they see the river being paddled on tv then it must be okay for them to do the same.

And yes his technique and choose of equipment leaves a lot to be desired. You would have thought he would have taken some lessons and wear the appropriate clothing (why not wear a standard BA?). I could go on and on......

totaly agree with you there rich
    MARK (suffolk_mac)

Quote Originally Posted by suffolk_mac View Post
    the river Gipping tonight was a good one as i have paddled that stretch of river well some of it and best of all was i was on the show doing the ITV big clean up last year so just for that i think i will splash out on the DVD although 25 is a bit steep but i did miss a couple and would like to see them but his paddling defiantly needs some attention i think.
    Yet again I only saw the last few minutes but I think I saw Doug of ICC fame during the cleanup bit. Also think I saw the ICC red canoe that I'm borrowing at the moment although I didn't recognise any of the paddlers.

One of my many complaints about this programme is that he paddles stretches of rivers on which we have no access agreement. He seeks the river from it's source which is very interesting but we rarely have permission to paddle these stretches of a river. In the first series he did make a passing comment about access agreements. He gets away with it because of who he is and he has a tv crew with him. But this often involves crossing private land and paddling where he shouldn't be. For example there are only limited parts of the Gipping that can be paddled. I wish he explained the access situation for each river at the end of each show. Most people would make the assumption that if they see the river being paddled on tv then it must be okay for them to do the same.

And yes his technique and choose of equipment leaves a lot to be desired. You would have thought he would have taken some lessons and wear the appropriate clothing (why not wear a standard BA?). I could go on and on......
    Rich I see you couldn't hold it in any longer!

I hesitate to bring this post up to the top again but I got the DVDs of these programmes from Old Pond Publications sometime ago. Its one of the DVDs that I lock myself away with when the OH is watching Coronation Street or something similar. She doesn't know about the other films I've go but I'd really recommend this one.
    Last edited by Bodger; 22nd-April-2010 at 07:58 AM.
    If you make your own sausages and cider, you'll never starve and even if you do, you wont give a damn.
    www.overthegate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I think both series are 6 programs each, all at half an hour a go so a good amount paddling time to look forward to. I'm hoping to do some of the Lark in the not too distant future which was featured last month.
    Pete.

Hi Gibbo
    i've looked at some info on this river from 'canoesdayout' and it seems there is a short paddle that can be done, let me know when you are ready and we can sort something.

regards Blade

I recently picked these up for Mrs Twicezero's birthday and we've both been really enjoying them.
    I especially like when he highlights old use of rivers beyond strict modern navigation limits.

I'm looking forward to paddling some of the rivers I hadn't considered.

Quote Originally Posted by twicezero View Post
    I especially like when he highlights old use of rivers beyond strict modern navigation limits.
    Please tell us more.
    Keith

How things have changed in the last 5 years, I hope very few paddlers still think they need permission to paddle our rivers.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.