Thread: Henley Festival 2017 - "It's Traditional, Don't You Know!"

Default Henley Festival 2017 - "It's Traditional, Don't You Know!"

Henley Festival 2017 -"It's traditional, don't you know!"

Chance the noo to 'Polish up your Pith Helmets' and prepare your best Pimm's for a wee fizzy swally besides the Thames, James!

Recce goes in tomorrow...which is now very much today!

Will then get back to you with the specific details.....when I next surface

Down Periscope!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 28th-May-2017 at 02:02 AM.
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Was just talking about this yesterday with Nige.

Dates seem to be 5th to 9th July, so I assume we'd be talking Saturday 8th for the drunken boat parade and fireworks?
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Oh, and just so people know what they'd be letting themselves in for:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-Festival-2016

Hello
    I think the Regatta is 28 June to 2 July?

Quote Originally Posted by Gdd View Post
    Hello
    I think the Regatta is 28 June to 2 July?
    Yeah, but this is the Festival, which follows. Takes itself slightly less seriously...

Thank you I had not realised they were separate

I don't care if they are separate or not, I suspect this could be doable prior to Sweden. MBJ .... Never trust a volunteer however, should you require the assistance of a semi drunk idiot at any time, I may well be available.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Above recce - a complete disaster!....,Excuses to follow shortly!... (Just don't call me shortly!)
    Second team now scheduled go in on Sunday 4th, Zero 6 early...with lunch planned at The Angel on the Bridge ....Hey, somebodies got to do it!

If you fancy coming along on the recce - prepare now your taste buds!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Since the last post above...(cue now Rockhopper on the Bugle! ) ...... I would just like to say that the rumours of my demise have been somewhat.... greatly exaggerated!

I'm back now, just like a bad cheque!

This meeting, that will once again have to be kept to a reasonably smallish-ish group, due to the nature of tree-cover & 'blending in' with the background that will be required overnight....it's still a go!

All previous recces for this trip have so far have been thwarted by anniversary and family engagements...and now with only one last anniversary engagement to attend..as one must....

Saturday 24th June now has to be the day for the recce. With an upstream put-in at Wargrave, followed by a suggested lunch stop at the Angel on the Bridge at Henley On Thames. Where I'll be ordering a jug of Pimm's No.1 Summer Cup.....just to access how it's dome professionally ! .... Naturally, I'll be in need of some help at this stage!

Chance here now for a few bags of Pork Scratchings ... or a' la carte if you prefer, before a further paddle downstream recce of overnight improvised accommodation areas of tarped-up or popped-up tent areas of specific scientific interest! - AKA Bacon Sarnies in the Morning!

Broadsword Calling Danny Boy, Broadsword Calling Danny Boy.....Come in, over.
    It will be dark by nightfall.

Broadsword out.
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 16th-June-2017 at 01:56 AM.

Can't do the Recce due to a prior appointment with Big Al and co at the York canoe race. I'll follow the result with interest and a glass or two.

Have fun
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

No worries there Mark, I''ll crack on with ground work in the mean time...

Chances are now that it'll be a pretty boring paddle trip anyway,...with me stopping off every now and then to dash off into the undergrowth... to assess the potential possibilities for a discreet overnight stop....for 'a wee gathering like you know'!.. As opposed to.... "Where I'll be ordering a jug of Pimm's No.1 Summer Cup.....just to access how it's dome professionally !

Education is such a god thing!

Oh no ...I've done it again!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 17th-June-2017 at 11:11 PM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Can't do the recce, but you probably already guessed I'm up for the main event!

Unless you can ask the good folks of Henley to move their festival back a couple of weeks, I'm afraid I shall be in Portugal.

One year, the stars and the moon and the canoe gods will all align and I will join you on this one!

Cheers
    If I could only paddle like a doggie oughta paddle

I have aquired the necessary correct uniform this year, so I am keen to attend the main event.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldMan Jump View Post
    Unless you can ask the good folks of Henley to move their festival back a couple of weeks, I'm afraid I shall be in Portugal.

One year, the stars and the moon and the canoe gods will all align and I will join you on this one!

Cheers
    Nige,
    Whilst your nostrils succumb to the forthcoming aromatic smoke, from some freshly caught Sardines on a BBQ grill somewhere on a beach in Portugal.......Just think of this paddle-trip, back here in blighty, as one of a warm-up, a rehearsal, if you like... in preparation for the day that you can make it!

We'll have it cracked by then! (With a little luck!)

MB

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Mal Grey & Jeff-d...

Your places at the canoe-portable table are very much set in stone, along with Robin's & Fran's, no worries!

Hoping now to entice a few more to paddle along this year - but need get up there ASAP and have a good bankside 'look-see' for a decent or at least half decent overnight improvised campsite. Hence the recce.

As for last years highlights and main events, you will both need to be a little more specific... as there were so many!

Will post some coordinating details after the 24th of June and will then take it from there.... "In the mean time troops, get yer bunting and Pith Helmets in order, now!"

With provisional dates so far being for the evening of Saturday 8th of July, after meeting at the put-in at approx.. midday (to be confirmed) with a refreshment stop at the Angel on the Bridge PH. Prior to a little upstream Champagne and a few Roast Beef Baps... Before paddling alongside the floating stage at 1845hrs for some boogey woogie belted out by Ruby Turner!

Sounds like a plan to me! (and I haven't even mentioned the Pimm's and Pork Scratchings yet! )
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 20th-June-2017 at 02:02 AM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Count me in for the main event MB!

It's a bit far for me from the wilds of Norfolk for the recce.

See you on the 8th for the main event.
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

My stars are heading for alignment for this event. I'm off that weekend and have a hall pass (and a pith helmet)

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

Yet another year I can't do, I'll be on the BMW heading to Austria for a play in the mountains. Maybe next year

Ps, pith helmet for hire

Your name's now on the list Martin - you're getting in! - I've spoken to security

MB

Pete,
    Next year I'm planning on going Mexican for this trip.. hombre!

So, take that Pith Helmet of yours along on your forthcoming motorbiking adventure and post some pictures back here....
    You never know, those pics may just inspire MB and others,for another themed paddle somewhere upon Thames!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Sarge
    I'm sorry but I have been posted to the Deep South for the coming Henlifications. The sortie is at Exceat and Alfriston at the precise timing of the Oxfordshire invasion, thus I shall be unable to report for duty.
    Fran

Message received loud and clear Trooper Fran....
    Consider yourself now 'Excused boots and shaving' ....for this week-end only!' As I'll now be expecting your presence at all future front-line engagements.. With your presence then inspiring all of those there gathered , the paddle troops, in preparation for a fun day out and more, and then some!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Talking of Paddle Troops.....(Here's my excuse for not having the recce done yet. It now goes in tomorrow- honest!)

A 35th anniversary of the Falklands War cane tabbing back....

It's been 35 years, and like many I haven't done a day since that it hasn't been on my mind -you have good days and then you have black days....
    I ain't moaning,I'm just explaining that's all . I've had over the years had the honour to meet Arnhem veterans, both Paratroopers and Glider Pilots. Bought them pints as they told me of their experiences in battle...many of which left me speechless. (I'll never moan about having wet socks again!)

In turn, I like many had my experience in battle, as a Royal Engineer from the 9th Parachute Squadron... Sailing down South on the MV Norland with 2 Para (2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment) only to be crossed decked by helicopter, somewhere way south of Ascension Island, in a force 8 gale, to the 3rd Battalion The Parachute Regiment! And that gale never let up until we raced 2 Para into Port Stanley!....
    Catching -up with old mates...

Some guys from Goose Green and Wireless Ridge....

We don't often get to meet, and these days we all have our own criteria....

But, with medals aside, there's always a common denominator...

And that's that taste for adventure!

These guys were at Goose Green in 1982, they got some some down there alright. With one of then getting hit pretty badly

What's the point I'm making here? - I'm not sure.

I'm just very much patriotic, that's all, along with some very close mates. We don't have the best education in the world, but we've been round it several times!

Angels with dirty faces.....

"That car needs a canoe Mic!"

Right then, I'll be back tomorrow night with some co-coordinating instructions for the week-end in question....stay tuned folks!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    Talking of Paddle Troops....Right then, I'll be back tomorrow night with some co-coordinating instructions for the week-end in question....stay tuned folks!
    Looks like I missed a day here.. ( I'll put that down to the fog of war, etc, eh! )

Recce now complete..and .the river and environs looked somewhat good today!

I now have a plan, Stan!

Very much now based upon...
    Departing Aston Slipway at 1600hrs (4pm) on Saturday 8th July 2017 at the latest....
    If we're then organised and waterborne by that time that day, then expect some light refreshment at the Angel on the Bridge by 1745hrs, before a glass of Pimm's & handful of Pork Scratchings beside the floating stage as Ruby Turner belts out a few numbers at 1845hrs!

After that, the plan then Stan....is ashore for a wee flute of Champagne and a Roast Beef Bap!

Back then on the water for aroon 2115hrs....with fireworks thereafter scheduled at 2230hrs.

Have then a choice of either upstream or downstream overnight accommodation....

Before the following morning's Bankside Bacon Sarnie Fest!!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; Yesterday at 12:31 AM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Sounds good to me.
    Can I check Aston Slipway is at OS Grid Ref SU 786844 at the end of Ferry Lane from the Flower Pot Hotel.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

Yes, that's it.

Last years invite (here : http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...p-Pith-Helmets! ) had slightly more info for the location.

Jeff