Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henley Festival 2017 - "It's Traditional, Don't You Know!"

Default Henley Festival 2017 - "It's Traditional, Don't You Know!"

Henley Festival 2017 -"It's traditional, don't you know!"

Chance the noo to 'Polish up your Pith Helmets' and prepare your best Pimm's for a wee fizzy swally besides the Thames, James!

Recce goes in tomorrow...which is now very much today!

Will then get back to you with the specific details.....when I next surface

Down Periscope!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 28th-May-2017 at 02:02 AM.
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Was just talking about this yesterday with Nige.

Dates seem to be 5th to 9th July, so I assume we'd be talking Saturday 8th for the drunken boat parade and fireworks?
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Oh, and just so people know what they'd be letting themselves in for:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-Festival-2016

Hello
    I think the Regatta is 28 June to 2 July?

Quote Originally Posted by Gdd View Post
    Hello
    I think the Regatta is 28 June to 2 July?
    Yeah, but this is the Festival, which follows. Takes itself slightly less seriously...

Thank you I had not realised they were separate

I don't care if they are separate or not, I suspect this could be doable prior to Sweden. MBJ .... Never trust a volunteer however, should you require the assistance of a semi drunk idiot at any time, I may well be available.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Above recce - a complete disaster!....,Excuses to follow shortly!... (Just don't call me shortly!)
    Second team now scheduled go in on Sunday 4th, Zero 6 early...with lunch planned at The Angel on the Bridge ....Hey, somebodies got to do it!

If you fancy coming along on the recce - prepare now your taste buds!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Since the last post above...(cue now Rockhopper on the Bugle! ) ...... I would just like to say that the rumours of my demise have been somewhat.... greatly exaggerated!

I'm back now, just like a bad cheque!

This meeting, that will once again have to be kept to a reasonably smallish-ish group, due to the nature of tree-cover & 'blending in' with the background that will be required overnight....it's still a go!

All previous recces for this trip have so far have been thwarted by anniversary and family engagements...and now with only one last anniversary engagement to attend..as one must....

Saturday 24th June now has to be the day for the recce. With an upstream put-in at Wargrave, followed by a suggested lunch stop at the Angel on the Bridge at Henley On Thames. Where I'll be ordering a jug of Pimm's No.1 Summer Cup.....just to access how it's dome professionally ! .... Naturally, I'll be in need of some help at this stage!

Chance here now for a few bags of Pork Scratchings ... or a' la carte if you prefer, before a further paddle downstream recce of overnight improvised accommodation areas of tarped-up or popped-up tent areas of specific scientific interest! - AKA Bacon Sarnies in the Morning!

Broadsword Calling Danny Boy, Broadsword Calling Danny Boy.....Come in, over.
    It will be dark by nightfall.

Broadsword out.
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 16th-June-2017 at 01:56 AM.

Can't do the Recce due to a prior appointment with Big Al and co at the York canoe race. I'll follow the result with interest and a glass or two.

Have fun
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

No worries there Mark, I''ll crack on with ground work in the mean time...

Chances are now that it'll be a pretty boring paddle trip anyway,...with me stopping off every now and then to dash off into the undergrowth... to assess the potential possibilities for a discreet overnight stop....for 'a wee gathering like you know'!.. As opposed to.... "Where I'll be ordering a jug of Pimm's No.1 Summer Cup.....just to access how it's dome professionally !

Education is such a god thing!

Oh no ...I've done it again!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 17th-June-2017 at 11:11 PM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Can't do the recce, but you probably already guessed I'm up for the main event!

Unless you can ask the good folks of Henley to move their festival back a couple of weeks, I'm afraid I shall be in Portugal.

One year, the stars and the moon and the canoe gods will all align and I will join you on this one!

Cheers
    If I could only paddle like a doggie oughta paddle

I have aquired the necessary correct uniform this year, so I am keen to attend the main event.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldMan Jump View Post
    Unless you can ask the good folks of Henley to move their festival back a couple of weeks, I'm afraid I shall be in Portugal.

One year, the stars and the moon and the canoe gods will all align and I will join you on this one!

Cheers
    Nige,
    Whilst your nostrils succumb to the forthcoming aromatic smoke, from some freshly caught Sardines on a BBQ grill somewhere on a beach in Portugal.......Just think of this paddle-trip, back here in blighty, as one of a warm-up, a rehearsal, if you like... in preparation for the day that you can make it!

We'll have it cracked by then! (With a little luck!)

MB

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Mal Grey & Jeff-d...

Your places at the canoe-portable table are very much set in stone, along with Robin's & Fran's, no worries!

Hoping now to entice a few more to paddle along this year - but need get up there ASAP and have a good bankside 'look-see' for a decent or at least half decent overnight improvised campsite. Hence the recce.

As for last years highlights and main events, you will both need to be a little more specific... as there were so many!

Will post some coordinating details after the 24th of June and will then take it from there.... "In the mean time troops, get yer bunting and Pith Helmets in order, now!"

With provisional dates so far being for the evening of Saturday 8th of July, after meeting at the put-in at approx.. midday (to be confirmed) with a refreshment stop at the Angel on the Bridge PH. Prior to a little upstream Champagne and a few Roast Beef Baps... Before paddling alongside the floating stage at 1845hrs for some boogey woogie belted out by Ruby Turner!

Sounds like a plan to me! (and I haven't even mentioned the Pimm's and Pork Scratchings yet! )
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 20th-June-2017 at 02:02 AM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Count me in for the main event MB!

It's a bit far for me from the wilds of Norfolk for the recce.

See you on the 8th for the main event.
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

My stars are heading for alignment for this event. I'm off that weekend and have a hall pass (and a pith helmet)

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

Yet another year I can't do, I'll be on the BMW heading to Austria for a play in the mountains. Maybe next year

Ps, pith helmet for hire

Your name's now on the list Martin - you're getting in! - I've spoken to security

MB

Pete,
    Next year I'm planning on going Mexican for this trip.. hombre!

So, take that Pith Helmet of yours along on your forthcoming motorbiking adventure and post some pictures back here....
    You never know, those pics may just inspire MB and others,for another themed paddle somewhere upon Thames!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Sarge
    I'm sorry but I have been posted to the Deep South for the coming Henlifications. The sortie is at Exceat and Alfriston at the precise timing of the Oxfordshire invasion, thus I shall be unable to report for duty.
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Message received loud and clear Trooper Fran....
    Consider yourself now 'Excused boots and shaving' ....for this week-end only!' As I'll now be expecting your presence at all future front-line engagements.. With your presence then inspiring all of those there gathered , the paddle troops, in preparation for a fun day out and more, and then some!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Talking of Paddle Troops.....(Here's my excuse for not having the recce done yet. It now goes in tomorrow- honest!)

A 35th anniversary of the Falklands War cane tabbing back....

It's been 35 years, and like many I haven't done a day since that it hasn't been on my mind -you have good days and then you have black days....
    I ain't moaning,I'm just explaining that's all . I've had over the years had the honour to meet Arnhem veterans, both Paratroopers and Glider Pilots. Bought them pints as they told me of their experiences in battle...many of which left me speechless. (I'll never moan about having wet socks again!)

In turn, I like many had my experience in battle, as a Royal Engineer from the 9th Parachute Squadron... Sailing down South on the MV Norland with 2 Para (2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment) only to be crossed decked by helicopter, somewhere way south of Ascension Island, in a force 8 gale, to the 3rd Battalion The Parachute Regiment! And that gale never let up until we raced 2 Para into Port Stanley!....
    Catching -up with old mates...

Some guys from Goose Green and Wireless Ridge....

We don't often get to meet, and these days we all have our own criteria....

But, with medals aside, there's always a common denominator...

And that's that taste for adventure!

These guys were at Goose Green in 1982, they got some some down there alright. With one of then getting hit pretty badly

What's the point I'm making here? - I'm not sure.

I'm just very much patriotic, that's all, along with some very close mates. We don't have the best education in the world, but we've been round it several times!

Angels with dirty faces.....

"That car needs a canoe Mic!"

Right then, I'll be back tomorrow night with some co-coordinating instructions for the week-end in question....stay tuned folks!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    Talking of Paddle Troops....Right then, I'll be back tomorrow night with some co-coordinating instructions for the week-end in question....stay tuned folks!
    Looks like I missed a day here.. ( I'll put that down to the fog of war, etc, eh! )

Recce now complete..and .the river and environs looked somewhat good today!

I now have a plan, Stan!

Very much now based upon...
    Departing Aston Slipway at 1600hrs (4pm) on Saturday 8th July 2017 at the latest....
    If we're then organised and waterborne by that time that day, then expect some light refreshment at the Angel on the Bridge by 1745hrs, before a glass of Pimm's & handful of Pork Scratchings beside the floating stage as Ruby Turner belts out a few numbers at 1845hrs!

After that, the plan then Stan....is ashore for a wee flute of Champagne and a Roast Beef Bap!

Back then on the water for aroon 2115hrs....with fireworks thereafter scheduled at 2230hrs.

Have then a choice of either upstream or downstream overnight accommodation....

Before the following morning's Bankside Bacon Sarnie Fest!!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 28th-June-2017 at 12:31 AM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Sounds good to me.
    Can I check Aston Slipway is at OS Grid Ref SU 786844 at the end of Ferry Lane from the Flower Pot Hotel.

Yes, that's it.

Last years invite (here : http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...p-Pith-Helmets! ) had slightly more info for the location.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    Looks like I missed a day here.. ( I'll put that down to the fog of war, etc, eh! )

Recce now complete..and .the river and environs looked somewhat good today!

I now have a plan, Stan!

Very much now based upon...
    Departing Aston Slipway at 1600hrs (4pm) on Saturday 8th July 2017 at the latest....
    If we're then organised and waterborne by that time that day, then expect some light refreshment at the Angel on the Bridge by 1745hrs, before a glass of Pimm's & handful of Pork Scratchings beside the floating stage as Ruby Turner belts out a few numbers at 1845hrs!

After that, the plan then Stan....is ashore for a wee flute of Champagne and a Roast Beef Bap!

Back then on the water for aroon 2115hrs....with fireworks thereafter scheduled at 2230hrs.

Have then a choice of either upstream or downstream overnight accommodation....

Before the following morning's Bankside Bacon Sarnie Fest!!
    Break Break - Interrogative: What is Pork Scratchings; Roast Beef bap: Bacon Sarnie fest?? Over.

From last year's mission:

Pork Scratchings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_rind

Roast Beef Baps

Baps: http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...ames-for-rolls

Bacon sarnie fest; no photos, they don't hang around long enough!

So, pork rinds, roast beef on a Kaiser roll, and ? bacon ?

Sarnie is short for sandwich.

I guess now, that it's time for me to pipe-up a little here, with this trip now virtually coning on 'full-on' around the next blind bend!

Here we go then....Pimm's Paddles & Piths Helmets Part II

Attending No's: First of all, and most importantly I need to confirm numbers ASAP, the last count was around 6, I'm happy and able cater for up to 8 max.. (See the Eats Bit) If the numbers wishing to come along exceed this number, then you guys will need to bring along your own scoff! (and if it looks half decent I'll be up for trading stuff! )

The General Outline Plan:
    Much the same as previously posted with now a few common-sense amendments. Still depart Aston Slipway by 1600hrs, arrive @ Angel on The Bridge for first stage refreshment @ 1745hrs...and then on to the floating stage, for a little boogey woogie with Ruby Turner! (and now the change) Ashore then after for some fizz and roast beef baps, with a handful of onion rings thrown to accompany !

Back then afloat, with Goldie and his Heritage Orchestra playing from the floating stage... with MB dishing out Pimm's & Pork Scratching's! from his very own floating stage!

With music and cracked teeth from the scathing's...it'll then be fireworks at 2230hrs, before a paddle upstream (although open to negotiation on the evening) for a little improvised overnight accommodation (small tents and tarps) If we opt for the downstream option keep a spare 10 in yer pocket for the man that comes around (Sk8r Generation Kill: The Man that Comes Around - Love it!)

I guess that's it from me this morning...

MB

P.S.
    For the Bankside Bacon Sarnie Fest you will need to bring your own bacon..... (and black pudding to enhance!)
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 3rd-July-2017 at 12:37 AM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

The Eats Bit...

With the front rank kneeling and rear rank standing...

Whilst the colours fly...

I will stan my groon.....

(and thereafter knock-out a few decent roast beef baps, to maximum of 8, like you know! )

Better get on wi' it then laddie!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 3rd-July-2017 at 12:39 AM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

I'm definitely in.

Mark
    Mal

Mark
    Mal
    Jeff

Mark
    Mal
    Jeff
    Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark
    Mal
    Jeff
    Martin
    Robin

Numbers wise this evening, this is looking spot on!

There is however , just enough room, and planned provisions, to squeeze in just another two...if your'e interested?

Failing that, then I'll be needing to pack a few doggy-bags now for relevant journeys home!

Let me know by late Thursday PM if you can, or can't make it, as after that it'll radio silence from MB.. as I'll then be zoning in for the weekend!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Hi Mark,

The dreaded work has struck and I'm not going to be able to make this one. Really gutted as it was superb last time.

Mark

Mal
    Jeff
    Martin

Good luck on your mission.

Robin

That's a shame.

There are two types of people in the world:
    Those who can tell the boss what to do and those who can't.

No worries there Robin.
    Just many thanks for letting me know in advance....before I go out tomorrow and buy up too many bags of Pork Scratchings!

Mal.
    I very much now, as a matter of utmost urgency....need to confirm, whether the the Mark at the top of the list above, is either Mark L or Mark MB?....

If you can let me know at your soonest opportunity,I would be most grateful...as I'm now down to my last two (non floating) plastic flutes and in a quandary as to whether I should now stick to my original plan...of bringing two bottles of fizz along, or just the one....and letting the kids go to school without socks for yet another year!

I'm sure that I've had far harsher decisions to make in my life so far......But,this one tonight will do for me!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 5th-July-2017 at 12:40 AM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Its you mate. MarkL is struggling with Sweden trip stuff, including having to go and get a broken canoe seat fixed this weekend.

Currently trying to find a source of Union Jack bunting in the Woking area...

Message received, and if the weather on the day is anything like it was today...then be prepared for a re-enactment of Ice Cold in Alex when we reach that Angel on the Bridge pub!
    (If somebody could attach a link here to the YouTube clip of the scene above , I would be eternally grateful )

Having now lost, prior to the missions commencement, both our 'Commander - in- Chief' of Morale, and lots of smiling whatever the weather!...Field Marshal Fran, and also the Head of Cinematography ... Sir Robin of the Broads... ( Who's not to be confused with 'Still Robbin' On The Broads!' )....and now further bad news, it always comes in threes!

Chef Markl now can't make it!

I had it all (at least half) planned, as to who was doing what with their particular skills & flair....making for a grand week-end gastro-get together on the water...with music and fireworks.!

Gentlemen, what we have now is just us. It's just us! What we do this week-end will now echo in eternity... (or at least just along the Basingstoke Canal corridor, and that's a plus! )

Gentlemen, prepare now for Henley....
    A Roast Beef Bap is not just for Saturdays, esp. when there's 12 of them, and only four of us!

With vacancies now available for 4 more volunteers,....take one pace, step forward!

Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained

The Paddlers On Parade
    1. MB
    2. Mal
    3. Jeff
    4. Martin.

If you now fancy coming along for the giggle, add your name to this list above by this time tomorrow night. If you don't want to or fancy bivvieing-up for the night, you do have the option of paddling back down to the Aston slipway after the fireworks, or whenever you want to scoot. The plan is pretty flexible, and it would be nice to see some other SotP Paddlers in the area, that just enjoy...The Song of The Paddle..

Final points now (the detailed instructions )
    THE DRESS CODE:
    Gentlemen, there may now only be four of us left from of group of nine, including Sirus and BaldManJump . We maybe depleted somewhat prior to this missions commencement, but this is no excuse for a poor turnout!
    The strict dress code is as follows: Pith Helmet with or without nighttime navigation lights, accompanied by khaki or green shirt/top with shorts or longs to match. Sleeves of shirts to be at half-mast until 1800hrs, after that, fill yer boots!

If you haven't got a Pith Helmet (...and let's face it, .why not? ) Volunteers turning up with Plastic Bowler Hats & Brollies will be accepted (I've had a word with security! )

That's me, I've now got work to do....

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy. Come in, over".
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 5th-July-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Guys if there's room for a not so little one I'd like to volunteer to assist in seeing off those roast beef baps.

The Paddlers On Parade
    1. MB
    2. Mal
    3. Jeff
    4. Martin.
    5. Stewart

I presume this is on 08 Jul?

The Paddlers On Parade

1. MB
    2. Mal
    3. Jeff
    4. Martin.
    5. Stewart
    6. kmac

Mark, I've sent you a PM with my mobile number in case things go awry on Saturday.
    At present my car is at the menders and the courtesy car doesn't have roofbars.

Jeff

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-d View Post
    Mark, I've sent you a PM with my mobile number in case things go awry on Saturday.
    At present my car is at the menders and the courtesy car doesn't have roofbars.

Jeff
    Jeff, that's a bit defeatist. Surely you have a piece of carpet and some bailing twine
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    Jeff, that's a bit defeatist. Surely you have a piece of carpet and some bailing twine
    That's right, it's only a hire car. Pass a rope through the windows, job's a goodun!

Stewart,
    The only thing necessary (and you know this) is for the triumph of Roast Beef Baps and a Flute or two of Champers... is for good paddlers to do nothing, due to poor appetites! ... Or something like that!
    Welcome aboard!

Kmac
    Your presumption iis correct, and considering the forthcoming dress code and scenario I suggest that we do this once again over the weekend in question....where you call me Livingstone, and I'll refer to you as Henry Morton Stanley......and another fine mess that you've got us into!

Hope you can make it Ken, the Latte Chai is already packed!!

Jeff-d,
    What we do this week-end will echo in eternity....

(I guess that didn't help much, did it? )
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 7th-July-2017 at 12:13 AM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

With only 2 places now left at the table, here's your chance to shine!

Post that video clip from You tube of Ice Cold in Alex 'Worth Waiting For' ....and your're forever in with me!

Once posted then we'll try to re-enact it on the Saturday...
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 7th-July-2017 at 12:52 AM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Serve 'em up Joe!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Managed to post a pic in the brave new world

Yes, that's the spot. Just keep going down the narrow lane after passing the Flower Pot, there's limited parking at the end, which can be busy. Hopefully we'll get all the cars parked there, but its a bit pot luck and may have to park one or two further up near the pub.

Thanks Mal

Gentlemen, with the final rations now packed....

This mission's a go!

MB

All I need to do now, is to pick up some baps for the Beef!

Cooked this morning with a Dijon, Juniper and Cracked Pepper crust....

(It'll now be Pot Noodles for me for the rest of the week!
    )

See you all at Aston...

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Can't wait! Flags acquired.

I'll be heading down fairly early, might paddle the other way for an hour or so before coming back to Aston.

Hi guys, sorry for dashing off but needed to tend to DD

Was an awesome event, notwithstanding Goldie and the underwhelming fireworks.

Thanks to Mark for the excellent repast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast