Thread: Rutland Water Access

Default Rutland Water Access

Hi guys, sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't see it.

I am going to Rutland this weekend, what is access like ? and can anyone advise good put in etc.

Thanks for any advise in advance

PP
    When the world has passed you by .... where are you ?

Sorry guys, I just looked online and its seems the fun police have stopped us using it apart from some crappy creek ... Can anyone advise whether it is even worth taking the boat with me please ?

I suspect there is a trick available. You cannot canoe apart from the creek but you can sail out of the sailing club. I am sure there will be a charge of some sort for the use of the club's facilities but it seems perfectly practical to sail your canoe on the water. Maybe, if you actually want to paddle, you could hoist the sail and then let it just blow in the wind whilst you paddle your canoe.

I have been before with the OCSG (canoe sailing) and it is a pleasant enough place to be on the water. Having said that the fun police do seem to have called in the army and there are very few places that you can put in or once on the water even pull up, there are largish wildlife exclusion zones and quite a lot of regular sailing club races.... all of which means that there is very little space that you can just enjoy by yourself. I have even heard of people being told off for not wearing lifejackets/buoyancy aids properly!

I don't think that you can just paddle (except in the aforementioned crappy creek) but as Adrian says you can sail the canoe... except that they will want you have insurance (usually covered under BCU membership) and you have to have day membership for the sailing club which is relatively pricey (I think between about 10-20... but I may be wrong as the OCSG usually negotiate something).

On the upside the ale in the club house is usually very good!

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Sounds awful.

Come to Scotland and you can paddle on any lake you want.

"Your everlasting summer, you can see it fading fast. So you grab a piece of something that you think is gonna last."

Crow Trip Log

With a foot in both camps, I own and race sailing dinghies and paddle open canoes, am a member of a sailing club (cheap at about 200 pa, some are over 400 and I suspect Rutland will be one), but not a canoe club.

I have been Commodore of one of the big dinghy clubs, and know that a prodigious amount of money is spent on providing sailing club members facilities (Rent to the reservoir owner, hard standing, ramps, moorings, rescue boats, club house) and effort in running (Staff, volunteers, rescue boat crews, catering, race officers).

It seems more that a little churlish to denigrate all this as the "fun police". One wayward canoe could ruin many a persons weekend. It requires quite a lot of understanding to work out what sailing activities, (training, coaching, racing, cruising) are going on where, and when.

Impcane

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Sounds awful.

It may be worth noting that there is only one lake in Scotland.....

And if frozen it gets used for curling.
    This post may vanish at any moment.

There is now very little room in the creek because they have installed the aqua assault course for the summer.
    I wouldn't bother trying to canoe.
    Welding and fabrication for forum members.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Sounds awful.

indeed. I hope one day englandshire will be as enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    With a foot in both camps, I own and race sailing dinghies and paddle open canoes, am a member of a sailing club (cheap at about 200 pa, some are over 400 and I suspect Rutland will be one), but not a canoe club.

I have been Commodore of one of the big dinghy clubs, and know that a prodigious amount of money is spent on providing sailing club members facilities (Rent to the reservoir owner, hard standing, ramps, moorings, rescue boats, club house) and effort in running (Staff, volunteers, rescue boat crews, catering, race officers).

It seems more that a little churlish to denigrate all this as the "fun police". One wayward canoe could ruin many a persons weekend. It requires quite a lot of understanding to work out what sailing activities, (training, coaching, racing, cruising) are going on where, and when.

Impcane
    I hope I haven't appeared churlish. I have a great deal of time and respect for those who give up their time and effort to run clubs and organise things. Without them the world would be a poorer place. It is just that some do it well and others less so.

Thanks all ... Fun police they actually are ...

I didn't take the canoe in the end, we went to their "beach" which you have to pay to go to only to be told that you weren't allowed in the water only on the beach ! This was to my kids who were paddling. They could offer no reason for such a rule and just said wild swimming was not allowed. "Wild swimming" yes, my little girls paddling up to their knees !

I found their whole attitude to anything, except for activities they charge you for, was terrible. Whitwell creek is not worth canoeing unless you are a complete novice with no knowledge at all, and is so full of those that you wouldn't want to be in it anyway ...

I understand about co-ordination of conflicting activities, but there is so much more that could be done safely with no adverse effect, but then they might lose the chance to charge for it.

Extremely disappointed with Rutland Water, and I tried very hard to (calmly) obtain some form of reasoning for their incessant nonsense rules and nobody was able to help with that.

Crow ... I have been to Scotland several times, and I have to say you have the access rights issue well sorted up there. And contrary to what the fun police would have us think ... it is not ruined at all !

Sorry for the rant guys, but I just thought someone else might be planning to go there and would appreciate a heads up .... DONT !

And ..... here comes all the justifiers ... whom I guess are all members of several committees ....

PP

I do get where you are coming from.
    Whitwell creek is small enough at the best of times, but through the summer, they now fill a large area with the Aqua Park. This is a floating assault course which, judging by the crowds, makes a lot of money.
    I agree that being restricted to the creek for canoeing is hopeless especially as you can launch a sailing dinghy from the same location and sail anywhere.
    Welding and fabrication for forum members.