Thread: button-up flies

Default button-up flies

What are they all about??????? I can't do shopping unless I know where I'm going and what I want to buy, not a browser, hate it!. I will admit to all that my wife even buys my clothes for me. It's a waste of time me buying clothes and the better half telling me it looks like cr*p so I have given up on it.
    New pair of trousers sorted for me today but yet again they have a button-up fly. Apparently, after moaning, you can only get zip flies in jeans or "smart" trousers. Casual trousers only come with buttons!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this a latest fashion pain in a**e or is the better half just tormenting me out of a sick sense of humour?

Great rant!

As most of my non-outdoor clothes are bought last minute in a supermarket, with very little to do with fashion, zips still seem to be the norm.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

The bow paddler appears to be trying to keep me "on trend" then? A bit of a mutton dressed as lamb thing going on here I think......I'm never going to look like anything but mutton nowadays!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are the zips??????????

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

I believe velcro fasteners are quite popular amongst older viewers these days.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

I dare say Mrs Meirion will teach you how to use buttons if you ask nicely

Nahhh. she won't go anywhere near my buttons aannddyyhh.........

Hmm... actually most good (read Savile Row) suits have button up flies so I don't think it a fashion trend or simply for casual trousers!

Personally I like them and while a zip is more convenient and sometimes better (i.e. on a dry suit - Savile Row or not!) you might take some comfort that with a button fly the risk of an "embarrassing and painful zip related injury" is much reduced and you can spent the time you might otherwise have spent in A&E paddling.

That's a positive Lime. I will try my best to embrace the buttons........

Embrace with caution meirion, whilst buttons may have less bite than a zip they still pose a significant entrapment hazard!

Frankly I blame Nick Kamen!
    Andy,
    (Cumbria)

Thank you Cumbria, I'm sensing a kindred spirit. BRING BACK THE ZIP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where have you been for the last 35 years Meirion? I remember having this conversation back in 1982 - roughly the time when button came back in. Anyway, it reminds me of a quip from Radio 4's 'Sorry I Haven't a Clue':

You know you're getting old when you forget to do up your flies after going to the loo.
    You know you're getting really old when you forget to undo your flies before you go to the loo.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    Hmm... actually most good (read Savile Row) suits have button up flies so I don't think it a fashion trend or simply for casual trousers!

Personally I like them and while a zip is more convenient and sometimes better (i.e. on a dry suit - Savile Row or not!) you might take some comfort that with a button fly the risk of an "embarrassing and painful zip related injury" is much reduced and you can spent the time you might otherwise have spent in A&E paddling.
    Having worked on Savile Row, I can assure the good gentlemen here that when you a 'bespeak a suit' from a Savile Row tailor they will make it with any and every detail choice that you consider necessary, provided that they are not mutually exclusive. And as a general rule zips were preferred over button flies.
    Sewboat
    aka mrs rimfire

I can sew anything.