Thread: Canoeing Atherton area of Greater Manchester?

Default Canoeing Atherton area of Greater Manchester?

Do any of you know of anywhere I can launch a paddle in this area? Pennington Flash is a no to canoes. I have heard of a possibility on Scotsmans Flash but am struggling to get any info? Preferably a stretch of open water as opposed to a river due to being on my own and not wanting shuttles etc.
    Leone_blanco

The Leeds Liverpool canal is physically accessible. I've got on at Plank Lane without problem, there's a car park there. You should have a C&RT licence or British Canoeing membership, but I've only once been asked if I had it, and then he didn't want to see it.

from leigh you have a few options,theres a few different bits of the Leeds liverpool canal.River Douglas not been there yet myself but it connects the canal to the ribble and a new bit for barges to get onto the lancaster canal,or give me a pm and we can sort shuttles and do some of the ribble.

Hollingworth lake fees apply

Rivington is also a no-no. Further afield there's Winsford Flash and I keep meaning to check out the Weaver.

i have paddled on Jumbles res (horrobin lane) not had any issues...only positives from onlookers about a prospector swanning around in the mist...