Thread: The Still Paddling Idle Beggars @Retford, 27th to 29thMay

Red face The Still Paddling Idle Beggars @Retford, 27th to 29thMay

NOTE: This thread replaces the one we were using, http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...terfield-canal.

Please read the last post on that thread, it may help!!

As I mentioned on the Guide Dog Paddle thread, the legal machinations of the insurance industry has decided it cannot be held under the auspices of the Guide Dog Organisation.

Please don't think badly of them, it's certainly not their fault, and they are as frustrated as me. It remains an amazing charity with 6000 dogs out there changing peoples lives.

So this meet has been refined to being a normal get together, where the members of SOTP meet and do what they enjoy, just paddling!

There are no arrangements, just a field for camping and toilet is provided, along with a pile of wood for any evening fires. Whatever you do is up to you to decide and as normal you accept any risks .

Here's the latest list of attendees, who I hope are still up for it.

Ricogee
    Orthodromy
    Cankay
    Jewels
    David Fletcher
    Rimfire + Mrs Rimfire and Little Madam
    Slave to the Paddle
    Jonah aka
    Jimmyads
    Bobbing Ben
    Jamatrad and friend
    Di
    Joel.

For those who are not aware, there is no charge, just come along and join us on the banks of the beautiful Chesterfield Canal, and only 5 miles from the River Idle, often frequented by our own Idle Beggars!

Come and go as you please, I'll be there on Friday evening before being last away on the Monday.

The venue is on Bonemill Lane, Welham, Retford DN22 9NL. That's behind the last house on the left, just before the hump backed bridge. (I'll signpost it!)

The space available is virtually unlimited, we'll have a special area for snorers!

You are welcome to bring any cooking equipment and food and drink for the evenings, plus join in with any ad hoc music jamming sessions which start up. Although there are a few excellent canal side pubs within staggering distance.
    Last edited by Tykey; 19th-May-2017 at 04:53 PM.

It keeps raining, Bren, so hopefully we'll see the Idle filling up a bit! The canal is still full up, unless someone pulls the plug out again.

http://www.chesterfieldforum.net/thr...al-trust.8307/

The Idle can ne paddled at very low levels, it's at a respectable level now.

Ricogee
    Orthodromy
    Cankay
    Jewels
    David Fletcher
    Rimfire + Mrs Rimfire and Little Madam
    Slave to the Paddle
    Jonah aka
    Jimmyads
    Bobbing Ben
    Jamatrad and friend
    Di
    Joel
    Mayobren

is the field available Friday Eddie , for those who want to get there early? And do you still need the three seater?
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Friday is ok, I'll be there with my Xmas pudding waiting for you. No I don't need it now,.thank you.

Sorry, Bren, I really don't know how I missed you out on the list! You are always one of our most enthusiastic beggars.

The weather forecast is superb! Hot, sunny, gentle breeze. Bring sun protection!

Hey Tykey, you bring the Christmas pud, we'll bring the bacon and frying pan

Calefactio orbis? Culus meus!!

Hi Tykey, Unfortunately I will not be able to attend this paddle. Really sorry that Guide Dog's for the Blind had to step back
    Wishing everyone a superb weekends paddling

I might be able to make this meeting and if so will be there for Friday evening at some point.

I think I can wrangle Friday (after dinner arrival) and Saturday evenings but will be away after Sunday's paddle.

Look forward to seeing you all then.

In completely unrelated news I have donated some monies to a good paws *ahem* I mean cause and I will also have some spare boat space should anyone wish to fill it.
    I refuse to let the fact that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing hold me back in any aspect of my life.

Although there are a few excellent canal side pubs within staggering distance.
    Jewels666 and I aiming to arrive Fri lunch-ish time, Eddie, if you cam recommend an eater-ery more than happy to meet up with your good self/others for some munchies?

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    Jewels666 and I aiming to arrive Fri lunch-ish time, Eddie, if you cam recommend an eater-ery more than happy to meet up with your good self/others for some munchies?
    Do you remember last time, you kindly bought me some chips, which we ate on the balcony overlooking the canal, at this place? http://thehoppolepub.co.uk/food-and-drinks/. There are others but they seem to open and close fairly regularly, so I don't know enough to recommend them.

For any others, the Hop Pole is obvious between Retford and the venue.

And it's walking distance down the towpath.

I remember you offered to bring along some life jackets, thanks, but with the changes, we won't be needing these.

If you are there before me, you know the drill!

My parents recommend The Gate, in the other direction, for excellent food;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...6!4d-0.9106924

They go there quite often, so it can't be too bad. Always looks busy when I drive past.

If I weren't heading a loooong way south in the next few days (hopefully!), I'd join you.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Cheers Mal, Eddie for the pointers, may well go with the Parental recommendation.

Shame about the lack of need for the BA's, but looking forward to the catch up, paddle, grub and sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    Cheers Mal, Eddie for the pointers, may well go with the Parental recommendation.

Shame about the lack of need for the BA's, but looking forward to the catch up, paddle, grub and sunshine.
    Yes, it looks good. I put in their website address last night, and it took me to a site selling ladies designer shoes. This morning it's working ok, and it does look good!

We'll aim for the Gate around 12:30, anyone around most welcome to join.
    I suspect we'll drift off after paddlin' on Sun, but not sure on that yet.

I know making plans isn't really the SotP way, and I don't want to tread on anyone's toes but.... assuming we are to do the canal route one day and the river route another, I wondered if anyone could suggest which day might be which?

My little one and my really little one quite fancy coming for the day we are on the canal and it'd be handy to know in advance. I can see doing anything I can to get the family involved in paddling at this early stage might pay dividends for my paddling time further down the line!
    I refuse to let the fact that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing hold me back in any aspect of my life.

It's nowt to do wi' me, 'cos I aint paddling. But I might suggest Sunday would be the best day for the river, because everyone who is coming should be there on that day.

That leaves Saturday for the canal. You could decide which way to go when you know if there's any wind, and which way it's blowing. You also need to think if you want to go there-and-back on the canal, or do a shuttle. I might suggest shuttling down to Ranby (excellent pub!!), that route takes you through Retford and a few locks to portage (which adds to the interest). That's an interesting and attractive stretch.

Of course if you arrive in reasonable time on Friday, a nice pub crawl (pub paddle?) the other way up to the Gate or Boat inns might be nice.

I'm going to suggest the river paddle on the Saturday,
    There will be a slow start on Sunday as in a few sore heads. The canal being on the doorstep means that no one needs to risk their licence if they fancy a paddle. Also there is a high probability of thunderstorms on the Sunday and more chance of finding shelter on the canal than on the river
    Last edited by mayobren; 24th-May-2017 at 08:51 PM.

+1 on Bren's logic.

Great stuff thanks, I'll inform management.

still hoping to be along for this one, just not sure at which point yet. will keep a check on plans / times etc.

I've come down with a bug so won't be coming along - hope you all have good weather.

I've come down with a bug so won't be coming along - hope you all have good weather.
    Hope yus all better soon & catch you on the next one!.

Car all loaded - hope to be on the road in next 1/2 hr

We've started arriving! :-). It's nice and warm, with a lovely cooling breeze

As plans go..... should be getting dropped off in the morning, hopefully early enough to join in any paddling, any paddle plans so far??

Launch onto the Idle 10am. We're all sat getting merry around the wood fire. Pushing our minds to their limit. Is the morning plan ok for you?

Sorry, normal launch point at West Drayton.

thanks for that, aiming to find the camp early, leave camping stuff, from there get dropped off at west drayton.

after that.......who knows??

should see you all in the morning

enjoy the merryment!!

Sorry to miss this Guys, little mishap when fuelling the car..........diesels don't like petrol apparently

That's almost it for another year, all paddlers returned safely from their trip down the beautiful Chesterfield Canal. Thanks to everyone who turned up and helped make a cracking weekend. Best wishes go from us all to Juliet, who sadly fell whilst on dry land, and damaged her ribs, get well soon, Jewels :-) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mayobren View Post
    Sorry to miss this Guys, little mishap when fuelling the car..........diesels don't like petrol apparently
    Missed you Bren, more of us have done that, than will admit it :-)

Hi Eddie, all,

Just a quick note to say thank you to well to everyone for all for help and support with Juliet. Period of R&R to come, and hopefully each day passing will feel a little better.
    Thanks too Eddie for arranging venue and facilities (Cheers Di :-) ) - weekend kinda didn't go 100% to plan, but still great to catch up and say hi.

Many thanks
    Jon