Thread: Launch fees at derwentwater

Default Launch fees at derwentwater

Hi guys and gals.
    I am off to the Lake District in a fortnight and will probably stop at the Keswick caravan site.
    Does anyone know the canoe launch fees for Derwentwater. They are apparently half the boat launch fees but can't find either
    ta
    ming
    Canada 2011, Wales 2012, France 2013, Ireland 2014, Scotland 2015 England (Thames) 2016 - ( Thames again 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    Hi guys and gals.
    I am off to the Lake District in a fortnight and will probably stop at the Keswick caravan site.
    Does anyone know the canoe launch fees for Derwentwater. They are apparently half the boat launch fees but can't find either
    ta
    ming
    If you follow the Borrowdale Road (B5289) out of Keswick, which follows the lake, there is a NT car park on the right = no launching fees just pay to park or free for NT members

The Keswick Camping and Caravan Club site is right on the lake side, they often have a minimum booking of 3 nights and charge 2 a day launch fee I think. Alternatively Castlrigg campsite is no booking / just turn up and then use Kettlewell car parkmon lakeside to launch, free if you're National Trust member and no launch fee.

As above, nothing from the Kettlewell car park other than parking. Never been charged, not sure how that would work from a public place, I think its just from private land. The National Park leaflet says;

Launching and landing? Check before you go as
    much of the shore is privately owned. Contact
    owners for charges and permission.

If you're staying at the Keswick caravan & camping site, I think its either free or a small fee paid to them. I know it wasn't expensive or I wouldn't have done it!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

No issues launching from Kettlewell when I have done so - a NT warden was more than happy for me to launch and leave the car overnight last time, so long as I bought another ticket the next morning.
    I have also stayed at the Derwentwater Oval campsite and accessed the lake near to the ferry jetties via Crow Park Rd and Hope Park. They were very helpful, and let me leave the car on site for the day while I paddled, having dismantled the tent. There is some, but very limited, parking on Crow Park Rd itself, which was free and unregulated last time I was there two years ago.

There's also Nichol End & Derwent Water marinas on the other side but they do charge launch fees. I think Derwent Water was 5 for parking / launching and Nichol End is (or was) 3. Both have shops / cafes to get a nice cuppa afterwards.

Easiest (and probably cheapest) will be from the caravan site
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

Thanks guys.
    If it was going to be silly fees I was just going to launch and be damned but at that price I am more than happy to pay!!
    ta
    ming
    Canada 2011, Wales 2012, France 2013, Ireland 2014, Scotland 2015 England (Thames) 2016 - ( Thames again 2017)

It's 10 from Derwent marina for parking and launching. They do have changing rooms, showers etc.

I'm not actually sure how/where you'd park at Nichol End to be fair, it somewhat resembles a scrapheap getting in from the road. I do however occasionally pop in past in my canoe (having launched elsewhere) for a bacon baguette and enormous piece of scone and no one has ever questioned it, definately more accessable by water than by road (and a good feed).

There is also nothing stopping you parking in the theater by the lake car park and launching from either the side of hope park (a bit silty and rocky though, access via the gate opposite the theater entrance, you'll need someone to hold it open for you) or the far end of the shingle beach down past the theater. The closer 2-3 bays of the shingle beach are used by the rental company but the far one isn't. If you're there in the evening, they've all shut up shop anyway so launch where you like. Bit of a carry/trolley down there though. I launch from there when I accompany a group of open water swimmers on a Friday evening.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."