Thread: Nene - Yarwell Mill campsite and backwaters

Default Nene - Yarwell Mill campsite and backwaters

Hi all.

Has anyone used Yarwell Mill campsite on the Nene? I'm looking for a spot for a family canoe weekend and wondered if anyone had stayed there recently. Online reviews are mixed but I understand it has recently come under new management.

Also, on the map there are 2 backwaters: one starting at the mill and one that starts a mile or so upstream of the mill and rejoins just downstream of the mill. Are either of these paddleable in the summer?

I've enjoyed the Ouse backwaters around Huntingdon/Godmanchester a few times and I'm looking for somewhere similar but different in the same part of the world.

Thanks

Mikey

Patterdale Paddler is your man for this, I'm sure he'll be along soon.

The upstream backwater is reasonably regularly paddled, though the put in by the weir at the top is awkward as its right below the weir. See PP's blog just a few days back. There can be strainers in this stream, so avoid in high water. You're going to have a lot of reeds in summer too, so depends how much ditching you like...
    I'm not sure if the downstream backwater is accessible or big enough to paddle, possibly not.

Campsite looked fine, but more of a caravans type of place.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Ta Da !! .....and here he is......captured watching Bargain Hunt and on SotP (multi-tasking!)

The camp site is under new management and looked to me as if it's going a bit upmarket.

See my very recent blogg which includes a description of the upstream backwater

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ice-day-though!

You can access the downstream backwater (mill stream) from the campsite but I have never done so myself.

As the reeds grow they narrow the channel, speed it up and make dealing with the strainers a real problem but I am not in the business of saying don't do it.

Wherever you go, have a good holiday.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus